What do you envision for a magically enhanced warrior?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm looking to find other's expectations when it comes to warriors who use magic to enhance their fighting ability for designing a fantasy RPG. Many systems seem to design mages (or whatever, based on the system/setting) first, and then shape a hybrid of those for a warrior-mage. But if you look at films, video games, and anime there are copious examples where it's really it's own niche.

So, share with me some of what you'd like to see. It can be detailed, or it can just be one scene that you'd like to do - doesn't have to be a complete vision.

For example, part of the inspiration for this post was watching a trailer about a warrior who had "wings" of daggers following her that she could use to block and strike like if she had eight flexible arms and was wielding them.

A separate video had using short lived ice shields to block while trading a flurry of blows.

Anime has a lot of samples since they often combine powers and hand-to-hand fighting.

So, what snippets do you want to play?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Magically enhanced warriors I’ve played in assoreted systems included:

Heroes with magical gear
Heroes who know some spells or have innate magical powers, like throwing bolts of magical energy
Martial artists with magical tattoos that enhance their natural abilities
Martial artists with magical tattoos that summon physical manifestations of whatever was depicted by the tattoo
Mystic tattoos that induce a lycanthropic-style metamorphosis into a supernatural beast or beast man
Heroes changing into a heroic form via a mystic incantation (a la Captain Marvel a.k.a Shazam)
Heroes aided by supernatural spirits- often nature spirits or the dead
Heroes temporarily or permanently toughened and strengthened by rituals or consumption of certain foods or drinks

..and probably some I’m forgetting.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Magically enhanced warriors I’ve played in assoreted systems included:

Heroes with magical gear
Heroes who know some spells or have innate magical powers, like throwing bolts of magical energy
Martial artists with magical tattoos that enhance their natural abilities
Martial artists with magical tattoos that summon physical manifestations of whatever was depicted by the tattoo
Mystic tattoos that induce a lycanthropic-style metamorphosis into a supernatural beast or beast man
Heroes changing into a heroic form via a mystic incantation (a la Captain Marvel a.k.a Shazam)
Heroes aided by supernatural spirits- often nature spirits or the dead
Heroes temporarily or permanently toughened and strengthened by rituals or consumption of certain foods or drinks

..and probably some I’m forgetting.

Very cool, this is a great list. Good mix of both source-of-effects (magical tattoos, transformations) and effects you can do.

You mentioned these are ones you've played in various systems. What are some examples you haven't played but want to? Perhaps because they don't fit well into existing systems, but that's no barrier.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Can’t think of any types I’ve wanted to play that I haven’t...but I left some off that prior list.

Supernatural ancestry
Living construct
Living magical energy
Linked to astrology, phases of the moons, seasons, etc.
Fallen/exiled supernatural being trying to regain power
Empowered by a magical curse, blessing, pact or oath

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I want to actually blend fighting and magic, not just mix the two in a back and forth shuffle. Ie, the 4e swordmage, not a 5e gish.

I want to pull an enemy toward me as I try to skewer them with my blade, make lightning dance from the one I strike to his allies, teleport as part of an attack, and do stuff like you said with the ice shield, and stuff like 5e’ Armor of Agythis and Absorb Elements.

Also, hit, move away, and then a delayed blast of energy knocks the target down and knocks creatures near them back.

Stuff like that. I want my “moves” to be both magical, and weapon combat based.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I want to actually blend fighting and magic, not just mix the two in a back and forth shuffle. Ie, the 4e swordmage, not a 5e gish.

I want to pull an enemy toward me as I try to skewer them with my blade, make lightning dance from the one I strike to his allies, teleport as part of an attack, and do stuff like you said with the ice shield, and stuff like 5e’ Armor of Agythis and Absorb Elements.

Also, hit, move away, and then a delayed blast of energy knocks the target down and knocks creatures near them back.

Stuff like that. I want my “moves” to be both magical, and weapon combat based.
IOW, Jedi.

I

Immortal Sun

I generally don't like the D&D presentation of "mage knights" because as [MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION] says they don't really blend magic and fighting. They're fighters...who have some magic on the side.

I think 4E's powers (or the 3.5/Pathfinder/5E monk) are probably my most favored representation of "magical warriors". People who effectively channel their magic through their fighting, be it their sword or their fists in a way that cannot be separated. It's not a guy who one turn casts a spell to enhance his hitting ability, and the next turn makes a sword swing. It's a guy who makes magical sword swings. The magic and the fighting are one and cannot be separated out into clearly delineated parts.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While they were not mechanically strong* and Psionic not magical or divine, the Soulknife was a nifty mystic warrior type.

So was the Rifts Cyber-Knight.

* Dragon & 3rd party materials helped.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

IOW, Jedi.

Kiiiiiiinda? Like, Star Wars Saga Edition let me get pretty close, especially with the later Force Powers in the Jedi Academy sourcebook, but it still was mostly a clear dileniation or magical abilities, and mundane attacks. I guess the power that just added damage dice was a magical attack, but you could only do it so often, and stuff like move object was so often more useful.

The 4e Sword Mage, Hexblade, or even Assassin, were there, though.

Still, a Jedi is pretty close. Especially in a system that lets you be supernatural frequently. I had a force “monk” in SWSE with the burning hands force power, force movement, and some modified lightsaber force powers, and its was legit.

doctorbadwolf

I actually wonder what the best gish of the “my fighting style is magical” school we could make would be. I’ll have to start a thread on it, since energy drinks and a 12 hour day mean I won’t sleep for a few hours, yet.

Remove ads