D&D 5E Reccomendations requested

mips42

Adventurer
I like 5e. In lots of ways it is what I wanted 4e to be before we got 4e. As much as I like it, it doesn't (currently) do what I want to do next which is a science fantasy vibe with flying galleons and dirigibles and blaster pistols and such (think Fantasy D&D meets star wars). I don't really have the time to learn a new system so I'd like to adapt 5e to cover this idea and am looking for sources of information / inspiration.
Thanks in advance.

As [MENTION=22103]GlassJaw[/MENTION] says, sounds like Spelljammer. I haven't seen a 5E conversion/update for it, though I haven't looked. But then again, grab the older version stuff and it's not usually too difficult to update.

Li Shenron

Legend
I like 5e. In lots of ways it is what I wanted 4e to be before we got 4e. As much as I like it, it doesn't (currently) do what I want to do next which is a science fantasy vibe with flying galleons and dirigibles and blaster pistols and such (think Fantasy D&D meets star wars). I don't really have the time to learn a new system so I'd like to adapt 5e to cover this idea and am looking for sources of information / inspiration.
Thanks in advance.

AFAIK the only thing available currently is the firearms rules module in the DMG, but I always had the feeling that a lot of people find those quite unsatisfying (I have never used them myself).

I would totally vouch for an official and comprehensive rules module on aerial movement and combat.

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks in advance.

How much rules coverage do you need?

For example, the DMG has stats on airships (p.119), renaissance/modern/futuristic firearms (p.267), and "alien tech" (p.268).

S'mon

Legend
I agree with Quickleaf - for me the 5e DMG has also the info I need to incorporate these elements.

For a setting, Pathfinder's "Distant Worlds" supplement sketches out a nice interplanetary fantasy solar system.

mips42

Adventurer
Yes, the 5e DMG has some info but not all that I was hoping for. I'll likely have to wing it. thanks anywho.

discosoc

First Post
I've never found D&D to be particularly good at handling sci-fi, regardless of the edition. It usually always comes down to hit points, and I guess there's just a line people are able to draw between imagining someone taking 10 sword slashes to die and someone else taking 10 gun shots to die. The closest I've seen really work was the Star Wars spinoffs, and those really just introduced a secondary wound system so that certain types of weapons could bypass HP entirely.

Remove ads