D&D 5E Which arcane caster should I play?

Which arcane caster should I play?

• Wizard

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Bard

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Warlock

Votes: 4 10.8%

Li Shenron

Legend
I voted standard wizard since I like them best, but go bard if you think you need more healing now that the cleric is gone. I would also make him 2nd or 3rd level to compete with the rest of the PCs. You still not steal the spotlight from your kids, but you can last a bit.

It's only 300xp to 2nd level :)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Standard human stats, free choice of race at cosmetic level.

Oh, that's different. I was asking because a Tortle would have made for a fun and sightly different take on an arcane caster. You would get to do fun things like cast a spell, then hide in your shell. Or pretend to be Gamera by shooting Eldritch Blasts or Firebolts out of your mouth.

I guess you could still do most of that if you picked the sorcerer.

CTurbo

Explorer
Bard all the way. You can be the "healer" since the Cleric is gone. I'd go Lore with the Moderately armored feat which also gives a +1 to Dex. Starting AC with a Chain Shirt + Shield would be 17.

You'll make the entire party better and they'll love you for it.

Valor or Swords would be fun too with the Inspiring Leader feat.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I like the Bard; he has more versatility plus can pick up some (but not all) of the Cleric's healing. For a one-shot this will not be a crippling trade-off.

Since AC is low, look into a Shortbow rather than a Rapier as your chief weapon.
Do you have a good DPR character in the group? Tasha can take an enemy out of the fight for a turn or two while your heavy-hitter comes over to smack them. (IME, that attack also fizzles the spell.)
Take the cantrip that gives you Resist(weapons) if you think you will need to off-Tank; for a one-shot character it will look cool powerful and fun rather than a trap option.
If you have to be the scout, take cantrip Message. You can relay information to the rest of the group in-game and save IRL time re-describing what the DM told you.

guachi

Hero
I chose Wizard as I love the Wizard and I find his spell options most appealing.

I do think people hit one something that makes Bard a stronger choice for this particular group. Bard is a support class and supporting your kids to let them be awesome can be a benefit. Vicious Mockery can be funny and you help the frontline PCs not get hit. And Faerie Fire helps PCs with attack rolls be awesome.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I think Bard thematically fills the hole left by the Cleric not being there for a night and was the choice I made (plus, bards are the best).

However, Warlock makes the party run smoother based on short rest recharges while I can take or leave the Wizard/Sorc.

Li Shenron

Legend
Simple.

Bards suck.
Sorcerers blow.
Wizards, well, do not try to play a wizard, for they are obnoxious and quick to die.

By process of elimination, you're playing the Warlock.

You can't argue with that- it's logic. Because you can't argue with logic, the bastard child of maths.

I'll comply with your logic and play a Paladin.

Remove ads