How do YOU handle a Fastball Special, and other team manuevers?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This morning, I had started to respond to another post from doctorbadwolf in which he talked about gonzo. In that post, I mentioned gonzo being selective and each table drawing their own lines as to where it begins, I had also written that for a being the size of one of the larger giants or a titan, I would have no problem. Unfortunately, while I left the tab open while I left to run errands and visit my physician for a follow-up, I, accidentally, deleted the post while switching tabs just moments before responding to this post. So, under the circumstances that you describe, I would have no issue (other that my not including goliaths, enlarge spells. and potions/belts/girdles of giant strength when I run).

What do you have against strong characters!? Lol mostly joking here, but yeah, I’d expect a game that is simply less fantastical in general than baseline phb+1 dnd 5e to also be more restrictive with heroic feats of physical prowess.

I’m curious about something like a half-orc Barbarian throwing a halfling monk in your game, assuming those things are all allowed?

Also, what do you think about using the thrower’s strength score in feet as the guidepost for distance, as suggested in the OP. We can keep resolution as far as dice rolls as simple as we want, but we still gotta figure out actual results for these sorts of things, either ahead of time or in the moment. I’m guessing you’re not in favor of +5ft per degree of difference in size category!

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
What I’m trying to get at, is that “ruling on the fly” has certain weaknesses, bc people have very different interpretations of the world, and it’s thus worthwhile to at least explore ways of adjudicating types of attempted actions ahead of time.

To me, a DC 30 to do something real humans can do is much too high. ideal circumstances, sure, but the guy also wasn’t a top ranked strong man, and he wasn’t the hero of a story known for being very strong.

I’d bet hundreds of dollars that Hafthor “The Mountain” Björnsson could throw someone further. Also, I’d wager that Mr Guinness record holder could launch a competitive gymnast who he’d practiced the maneuver with further using a cooperative technique. Ie, running start, thrower in a power squat with hands in front, using an over-the-head motion from squat to full extension to boost the gymnast’s leap like a springboard.

But either way, it’s well within the bounds of normal fantasy fiction.

So, stuff like this is why I challenge the notion of just ruling on the spot. Bc oftentimes, we are much more prone to restriction with on the spot rulings than the game is intended to be, or than we would be if we came up with at least a framework ahead of time. Perhaps you’d be giving that “DC 30 might as well say no” difficulty either way, but IME most DMs are much less lenient in the moment than they are ahead of time bc they’re fun shy about unbalancing the game.

You asked "How do YOU handle a Fastball Special, and other team maneuvers?". I've answered that and provided what guidance I can for adjudication through example. Accept that answer and move on, or ask a new question.

There's no need to argue what the tone of a D&D game should be, as that varies by table. We could discuss on-the-fly adjudication vs creating a subsystem, but I don't think that's what you're after. I think you want to do a bit of game design, and arguing with me won't get you that.

So, state your design goal clearly, and let those who are interested help you write something.

doctorbadwolf

You asked "How do YOU handle a Fastball Special, and other team maneuvers?". I've answered that and provided what guidance I can for adjudication through example. Accept that answer and move on, or ask a new question.

There's no need to argue what the tone of a D&D game should be, as that varies by table. We could discuss on-the-fly adjudication vs creating a subsystem, but I don't think that's what you're after. I think you want to do a bit of game design, and arguing with me won't get you that.

So, state your design goal clearly, and let those who are interested help you write something.

Wooow, bud, you need to take a step back and relax. Forums are for discussion. If you can’t endure your ideas being challenged, don’t post them.

I made the thread to discuss team maneuvers in general, and throwing an ally at an enemy in particular. That includes the question of whether it’s best to leave it up to an on the fly adjudication. Don’t like it, feel free to find another thread.

Thread is what it says on the tin.

Most takes on how to handle a fastball special that I've seen are too complicated, punish the attempt with two many rolls that can result in total failure of the move (often effectively triple or quadruple disadvantage), or restrict the manuever to the point where it'd be simpler to just say "no, you can't do that in this game".

What I'd like is a take wherein each participant makes exactly 1 check, and both have to fail for it to be a total failure, with the chance of a mixed success if half or more participants fail.
Off the top of my head:
As an action, Thrower makes a Strength (Athletics) roll with a special bonus equal to the throwee's Dex (Acrobatics). DC is the distance to the target, Advantage on the check if the thrower is larger than the throwee.
The next melee attack the throwee makes against the target before the end of their next turn has advantage, and deals double weapon damage if Strength based.

For an understanding of your perspective, how do you feel about monks doing "wuxia" style jumps and movements over say, rooftops?
Not an issue any more than them flying over rooftops under the effects of a spell: Either way they're using magic.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Wooow, bud, you need to take a step back and relax. Forums are for discussion. If you can’t endure your ideas being challenged, don’t post them.

I made the thread to discuss team maneuvers in general, and throwing an ally at an enemy in particular. That includes the question of whether it’s best to leave it up to an on the fly adjudication. Don’t like it, feel free to find another thread.

I'm being firm with you, not because you challenged me, but because you are showing a continued resistance to the idea that different games have different tones, insinuating through repetition that your preference is the only good one. You may not mean to, but you're ignoring my core thesis:

"In order to adjudicate a situation, you must specify what you're trying to accomplish, how you're going to accomplish it, and we need to know the tone of the game."

But, it's ultimately my fault if I haven't expressed this effectively, so lets take a different tact.

My goal is to show that defining your goal, approach, and tone in advance is critical, whether adjudicating on the fly or designing a system in advance, and to show that once you really understand how this works, on-the-fly is usually the best choice.

So, let's design the "Fastball Special".

First, let's establish the base tone of the game. We could go with this:

Adventurers are ordinary people in a harsh world seeking out extraordinary circumstances.

But, if you'll allow me to assume your preference, I'll go with this:

Adventurers are larger-than life characters in an exciting world, capable of fantastic deeds.

There are a few possible goals for throwing another character:

• To throw a character a distance that they couldn't otherwise jump, or because they're unable to jump, say over a pit.
  • To use a character, willing or not, as a projectile in order to bowl someone over.
  • To allow to characters to work together to create a melee attack that is either stronger, has greater reach, or both.
  • etc.

And there are also goals for why you want to add it to the game:

• PCs throwing things keeps coming up, and I want a fair system.
  • I have this encounter where a giant throws his underlings at people.
  • A couple of my players have this idea for a character duo: Conan and his Gnome Half-brother, and they want a special maneuver.
  • etc.

And then there's the final goal of making it easy to use.

Already, this is a lot. We could create a system that could handle all of it, but most of that system wouldn't be used very often, if at all. We'd never remember it all, so there would be a temptation at the table to look it up when we needed to know what the damage bonus is for medium armor when throwing a goblin at a giant.

But, we can focus. Choose the important goals. Throwing people over pits doesn't come up often, but perhaps you do want a small system for handling generic throwing of objects because you have Hurlor the Rock Pitcher in your party.

In this case, though we want Fastball Special.

Goal: One big guy throws one little guy at an opponent so that they can get a melee attack with higher range and impact. It will be used often, so we want it simple, effective, but not so effective that it's the only strategy.

Approach: Two people, both practiced in the maneuver, work together. One throws while the other jumps, targeting a specific enemy. The thrown character aims a piercing attack in midair, striking with great force and possibly knocking over the enemy.

Tone: Somewhat goofy and certainly larger than life. Acceptable for the established tone of the game.

So, now we can build it. Because it requires training, and because it's an attack, we could make this a fighter maneuver, which would give us the option of adding the thrower's superiority dice to the attack, thus making it advantageous to the thrower and making it a limited resource. We don't want it to be too expensive, so only the thrower needs to have the maneuver. Also, thematically, it only works with smaller creatures. Here's a first pass:

Fastball Special

You may expend one superiority die to throw a willing creature at an opponent. The creature must be at least one size category smaller than you and have readied their action to be thrown. Make a ranged attack with proficiency at any target within a number of feet equal to your strength. If you succeed, the thrown creature may make a melee attack against the target and add your superiority die to the damage. Regardless of whether the attack hits if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

This may be flawed, but it works. It can be a signature move for a character. And in for that reason, it could be worth adding to your game. We know if it is because of the whole "goal, approach, tone" thing. It fits within the needs of a specific campaign. And you won't be looking it up often because it's a player's signature ability. They'll hopefully learn it and use it a lot.

Still, most maneuvers aren't signature moves designed for a specific character. They're something that happens during play by creative players, and usually only once. It's practically impossible to consider all of them in advance.

That's why it's more valuable to get good at adjudication. When a player want's to do something new, ask them what their goal and approach are, and take a moment to consider the tone of your game. Then ask: Can it succeed? Can it fail? What's the skill and DC? You rarely need more than this.

Even as a player, having a grasp of goal, approach, and tone can make adjudication easier, because by making it clear what you have in mind, the DM is more likely to work with you.

Once you're practiced at adjudication, you become incentivized to remove codified rules. Simple, flexible abstractions become more useful tools.

Sure, this can lead to inconsistencies across tables, but such consistency isn't important. It's far more important that each table develop their own internal understanding of the game-world.

Hopefully this gave you somethign useful to think about.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Late to the party; here’s my 2¢.

Here’s a world champion caber tosser in action:
[video=youtube;xb0FU8rSisU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0FU8rSisU[/video]

I note that he’s:

1) taking a lot of time
2) in a very vulnerable position
3) throwing the caber end over end
4) a touch more than its own length
5) not super accurately
6) two handed
7) with a running start

Compared to the original Wolverine and Colossus maneuver, that’s terrible for combat. As I recall the original art, both of Wolverine’s feet are usually in one of Colossus’ hands, making it not just a throw, but a one-armed throw. Hence “fastball” and not “hammer throw”.

latest

So I’d basically disallow it until the throwing character was clearly into Str levels beyond that capable of normal, unaugmented humanity. Like...able to do a 700lb curl type weight. (Last I checked, the world record for curl weight was @270lbs.)

(Full disclosure: I once had a character volunteer to be thrown across an underground chasm. My PC was a lightly kitted out Gnome Illusionist-Thief. The thrower had magically-enhanced strength, and did a Hammer-throw style toss.

...which was intercepted by a lurking cave-fisher.

R.I.P “Fast Eddie” Edylrith)

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Late to the party; here’s my 2¢.

Here’s a world champion caber tosser in action:
[video=youtube;xb0FU8rSisU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0FU8rSisU[/video]

I note that he’s:

1) taking a lot of time
2) in a very vulnerable position
3) throwing the caber end over end
4) a touch more than its own length
5) not super accurately
6) two handed
7) with a running start

Compared to the original Wolverine and Colossus maneuver, that’s terrible for combat. As I recall the original art, both of Wolverine’s feet are usually in one of Colossus’ hands, making it not just a throw, but a one-armed throw. Hence “fastball” and not “hammer throw”.

latest

So I’d basically disallow it until the throwing character was clearly into Str levels beyond that capable of normal, unautmented humanity. Like...able to do a 700lb curl type weight. (Last I checked, the world record for curl weight was @270lbs.)

(Full disclosure: I once had a character volunteer to be thrown across an underground chasm. My PC was a lightly kitted out Gnome Illusionist-Thief. The thrower had magically-enhanced strength, and did a Hammer-throw style toss.

...which was intercepted by a lurking cave-fisher.

R.I.P “Fast Eddie” Edylrith)

In general, any instance of a character throwing another character is called a fastball special. However, no one here is talking about a one handed throw of a 150lb+ guy over a great distance.

We’re talking about any number of methods of a very strong character throwing a (generally a category or more smaller) character anywhere from [strength mod] to 30ft, understanding that 30ft is on the fantastical end, and this would require extreme size difference, magical aid, special equipment with a Goliath throwing a 50lb halfling, etc.

edit: just clarifying because your reply seems to assume a type of maneuver not being proposed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I read the whole thread.

IMHO, about the only way a fastball special makes sense as a combat maneuver is in its original iteration- a one handed, baseball-style throw. Any other way takes too much time & space and opens the participants up to easy attacks.

Even the Goliath & Halfling example falters- here’s a 56lb Hammer throw:
[video=youtube;r0AgMq7SNkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AgMq7SNkE[/video]

M50 refers to Masters 50 class- world class hammer throwers between 50-55 years of age. The usual throwing weight is 6kg.

Note the use of space and rotation, and the 2-handed grip. Note the distance. Note also the shape of the in-bounds area, implying a certain lack of accuracy. The throw itself took 11 seconds, and started with the thrower with his back to the target area.

So, despite the dearth of people discussing the original version of the fastball special, it is still central to my position.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

I read the whole thread.

IMHO, about the only way a fastball special makes sense as a combat maneuver is in its original iteration- a one handed, baseball-style throw. Any other way takes too much time & space and opens the participants up to easy attacks.

Even the Goliath & Halfling example falters- here’s a 56lb Hammer throw:
[video=youtube;r0AgMq7SNkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AgMq7SNkE[/video]

M50 refers to Masters 50 class- world class hammer throwers between 50-55 years of age. The usual throwing weight is 6kg.

Note the use of space and rotation, and the 2-handed grip. Note the distance. Note also the shape of the in-bounds area, implying a certain lack of accuracy. The throw itself took 11 seconds, and started with the thrower with his back to the target area.

So, despite the dearth of people discussing the original version of the fastball special, it is still central to my position.

So, I’m not sure what about the physical mechanics of throwing weights IRL means that it’s a bad combat maneuver, and here’s why.

A. We aren’t talking about throwing a halfling 25 meters for a reason, even though the weight tells us that a high strength dnd character with athletics trained, and some practice making up for the difference between a halfling and a weight, probably could at least get close. There isn’t time to get that 3-4 rotation momentum. With no enemies around, I’d absolutely allow it, though. The “ball” would make an acrobatics check to land safely, or take falling damage, but I’d allow it.

2. Dnd isn’t nitty gritty enough to provide mechanically reasonable negative consequences to spinning around for a few seconds.

3. Even casting spells doesn’t incur OAs in 5e. An adjacent enemy would just give the thrower disadvantage. At most, it might invite OAs on the thrower, but even then...that doesn’t make it not combat ready. It just means you don’t do it when enemies are adjacent and are able to make opportunity attacks.

I do appreciate the input, though.

I’m curious what you think about it out of combat, or at least when no one can reasonably attack the thrower?

As for the fastball special, even the quickest throwing scenario I’ve proposed involves a two handed throw. It does require that the thrower turn their back to the enemy, but that’s fine. Again, it just means you have to be careful about when to use it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So, I’m not sure what about the physical mechanics of throwing weights IRL means that it’s a bad combat maneuver, and here’s why.

A. We aren’t talking about throwing a halfling 25 meters for a reason, even though the weight tells us that a high strength dnd character with athletics trained, and some practice making up for the difference between a halfling and a weight, probably could at least get close. There isn’t time to get that 3-4 rotation momentum. With no enemies around, I’d absolutely allow it, though. The “ball” would make an acrobatics check to land safely, or take falling damage, but I’d allow it.

2. Dnd isn’t nitty gritty enough to provide mechanically reasonable negative consequences to spinning around for a few seconds.

3. Even casting spells doesn’t incur OAs in 5e. An adjacent enemy would just give the thrower disadvantage. At most, it might invite OAs on the thrower, but even then...that doesn’t make it not combat ready. It just means you don’t do it when enemies are adjacent and are able to make opportunity attacks.

I do appreciate the input, though.

I’m curious what you think about it out of combat, or at least when no one can reasonably attack the thrower?

As for the fastball special, even the quickest throwing scenario I’ve proposed involves a two handed throw. It does require that the thrower turn their back to the enemy, but that’s fine. Again, it just means you have to be careful about when to use it.

For reference, the throw in that video didn’t get to 25 meters either: 9.39m throw by the current Australian M50 56lb Heavy Weight record holder, Grant Edwards.

IOW, a world class athlete- admittedly an older one- couldn’t throw a halfling half the distance you’re talking.

I don’t give a damn about “gritty” in this situation- it’s too far for my willing suspension of disbelief.

As for the rest? Well, I explicitly said I’d allow a fastball special if I thought the thrower was strong enough. Str 15 ain’t it.

And I’m OK with a non-combat throw of a certain distance with near-max human- see my disclosure about Fast Eddie.

Hell- I personally threw one of my cousins at another one of my cousins IRL, which resulted in an ER visit for the target. But the throw was 2 handed- I grabbed his leg and shoulder- and very short- just a few feet. The target was seated- the throw was because they both had their mouths writing checks that their bodies couldn’t pay off. My bench at the time was @300lbs. My leg press/squats were both over 700lbs. IOW, about Str 13-14 in D&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases