D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
"Top grossing movie" and "good movie" are orthogonal. There are many good movies that make no money and lots of money making movies that suck.

On average, movies which have a lot of money invested tend to be better than the same style of movie without money invested. For example, the difference between a romantic comedy with a lot of money behind it and one with little money behind it is usually a pretty big difference (the former can get you Rebel Wilson as the lead and the later will end up on Lifetime television). It's not a hard and fast rule, but it does hold pretty well as an average.

On average, movies which have a lot of money invested tend to be better than the same style of movie without money invested. For example, the difference between a romantic comedy with a lot of money behind it and one with little money behind it is usually a pretty big difference (the former can get you Rebel Wilson as the lead and the later will end up on Lifetime television). It's not a hard and fast rule, but it does hold pretty well as an average.

I don't accept this at all. Money does not determine the quality of the movie. It never does.

guachi

Hero
Take a look at Superman IV and tell me that money didn't affect the quality of the movie.

No one can do that with a straight face.

dwayne

Adventurer
They could go full on MCU on this with a movie about a few characters and them finding out about something that could distroy the world only that is is much bigger and even effects other realms and the planes. I could see elminster and mordenkainen arguing over who else they many need to bring into help maybe Raistlin, but mordenkainen is like we can't trust him Elminster is like you don't trust anyone. Of course would have to be many movies and maybe a few tv shows to do it right.

thorgrit

Explorer
Unless the movie has the leads loot a dead comrade then use his body to wedge open a door its just another generic fantasy flick to me.

They have to at least go through all the stages of grief over their fallen comrade. Because nobody remembered the command word for that magic item he had, and it's worth a lot less to fence if you don't know the command word.

Hussar

Legend
Given the choice between a dnd movie that makes a truckload of money or one that people consider “good”, I’ll take the money every time.

Money means we get more movies and means more people actually watched the movie. Rather than be some cult hit so fans can look down their noses at other folks.

Show me the money!!

sim-h

Explorer
I'm so depressed about this. My prediction: A "D&D" movie will reinforce all the old stereotypes, kill stone dead any new wave of coolness from livestreams and the like, and stop the expansion of the hobby dead in its tracks. Back to being a laughing stock because 'Elves'. Great.

D&D is about a social experience at the (possibly online) table. A movie has nothing to do with that. I pray this never sees the light of day!

Remove ads

Remove ads