D&D Movie/TV Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

drizzt-do-urden-dungeons-and-dragons.jpg

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
  • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
  • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
  • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one
There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!

Oofta

Legend
Given the choice between a dnd movie that makes a truckload of money or one that people consider “good”, I’ll take the money every time.

Money means we get more movies and means more people actually watched the movie. Rather than be some cult hit so fans can look down their noses at other folks.

Show me the money!!

Yeah, I can see it now. All the people moaning because the film wasn't "art" and that they enjoyed D&D before it went mainstream lamestream.

People spend money on movies because they're fun escapism. As far as we know, the next movie will be total crap but saying that big budget movies that make a lot of money are inherently bad baffles me. I enjoy a few movies here and there that were never big hits, but the MCU movies get me to plunk money down and sit my ass down in a theater because sometimes I just want to be entertained.

If the D&D movie entertains me, I'll consider it a success even if it's not considered a "good" movie by some. You can't please everyone.

Courtney Solomon of Sweetpea Entertainment is a cancer to the Dungeons and Dragons movie line. As long as he and his company are still involved in this project, it will crash and burn, like the last three...

Too bad he couldn't just let it go so it could be successful in someone else's hands...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Courtney Solomon of Sweetpea Entertainment is a cancer to the Dungeons and Dragons movie line. As long as he and his company are still involved in this project, it will crash and burn, like the last three...

Too bad he couldn't just let it go so it could be successful in someone else's hands...

His company isn't involved at all. Hasn't been for years.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't accept this at all. Money does not determine the quality of the movie. It never does.

Money brings in more talent. More talent increases the odds of quality results. There is a certain orthogonal quality (quirky indie hit versus Transformers can happen), but it is a complex relationship.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Off of IMDB:

[h=3]Dungeons & Dragons (2021)[/h]
[h=1]Company Credits[/h]
Showing all 7 company credits

Jump to: Production Companies (5) | Distributors (2)

[h=4]Production Companies[/h]
[h=4]Distributors[/h]

They were involved in the lawsuit settlement from a few years back, and certainly got their cut. But they are not involved in production in any capacity.

Money brings in more talent. More talent increases the odds of quality results. There is a certain orthogonal quality (quirky indie hit versus Transformers can happen), but it is a complex relationship.

There are plenty of movies with big budgets and great talents that are not good movies. Money affecting quality is an illusion. What makes a good movie is desire. You can't pay for desire. Let me put it this way. There are far more cheap good movies than expensive good movies. How does that work given your "odds".

EDIT: When I say more above I mean "the ratio of good to bad". IOW, the ratio of good:bad movies is greater in cheap movies than the ratio in expensive movies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There are plenty of movies with big budgets and great talents that are not good movies. Money affecting quality is an illusion. What makes a good movie is desire. You can't pay for desire. Let me put it this way. There are far more cheap good movies than expensive good movies. How does that work given your "odds".

EDIT: When I say more above I mean "the ratio of good to bad". IOW, the ratio of good:bad movies is greater in cheap movies than the ratio in expensive movies.

Source as to there being "more cheap good movies than expensive good movies"? By what metrics?

I'd say, strictly speaking, the percentage of good to bad is probably similar, though expensive failures tend to be more interesting due to literally more artistic manhours being put into them. The Peter Jackson Hobbit movies are hot garbage, but have more redeeming qualities than "Yor, the Hunter from the Future" for example. It's all a crap shoot, but money buys manhours from talent. And as machines such as Marvel show, talent multiplied by manhours pays dividends.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
A-lister Male lead says to me "Not an ensemble cast" and thus not a "party of adventurers" style show. And thus less like D&D than it should be.

Baldurs Gate (1): Child of Candlekeep.
Female lead (the 'child' exiled from Candlekeep). Vin Diesel as Minsc. Inset 2-4 other favourite BG party members to round out ensemble cast. Cover the first half of BG - leaves space for sequels. Cameo for Drizzt who you meet out in the wilds - potential for a spin off! Release to massive critical acclaim. Sit back and watch money flood in!

I'm available for consultancy gigs if Hollywood needs me :)

Remove ads

Remove ads