D&D 5E Best archer build?

spartanah

Explorer
playing now 3 scout / 6 fighter.
cbow master sharpshooter, 3 attacks per round with my hand crossbow with sharpshoot, and never get cauught in melee

houser2112

Explorer
Having played a Ranger to 15th level, Fighter may make the most powerful archer, but I find the versatility of the Ranger cannot be ignored. Hunter's Mark is a very good damage booster. Spike Stones is a low level CC that other classes don't have access to (Druid might, I can't remember). Horde Breaker is something that can be used almost every battle to get an extra attack. I've found it difficult to use Volley, I can rarely get more with Volley than I could with Horde Breaker. I really like Escape The Horde to get away from pesky melee and use ranged attacks without Disadvantage.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
What kind of archer? The mobile archer? The sniper archer? All out DPS archer?

IMO rangers are fine but they are kinda bad at doing archer things (unless we are talking a spelless ranger). Hunters mark has limited range to activate.

(snip)

The second best is a rogue. .

... isn't sneak attack limited to 30 feet range? :confused:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The Samurai fighter subclass seems to have a lot of potential, archery wise.

I *think* the Kensei Monk could be good, but I haven't tried it/given it serious thought

(both are from Xanathar's guide)

So some elements that make a good archer are...

- Supporting Feats: Sharpshooter being the most important by adding damage and negating range/cover penalties. Crossbow Expert follows if you're into crossbows. Elven Accuracy is niche but could be helpful if you're shooting a lot with Advantage (from stealth, for example).

- Attacks: More attacks means more damage, especially when combined with SS. At least 11 levels of Fighter to get 3 attacks for an Attack action is very nice. Also Action Surge and similar action boosters are helpful. Xbow 2-weapon style increases rate-of-fire as well.

- Accuracy: Attacks are only effective if they actually hit. Although you'll hear comments that the -5 to hit on SS is a mild nuisance, it is a significant penalty that you'll want to shave as much as possible. Archery Fighting Style is a must and to-hit enhancements like Precision Attack, a +x magical weapon, Bless and others improve your ability to put damage on target. Shooting with Advantage also helps, so good stealth capabilities and other situations that can confer that are good.

- Damage: The reason you're shooting in the first place. With high rate-of-fire the SS bonus is your bread and butter. Additional base damage from a high Dex and magical weapon bonus is good, too. Then there's bonus damage from abilities like Sneak Attack, Hex, Colossus Slayer, Hunter's Mark and the like which are always good to have, especially for Crits. Try to make sure the minimum damage from each of your shots is striking for at least 20hp. Also a magic weapon is imperative at higher level to ensure you can effect all targets.

Zardnaar

Legend
So some elements that make a good archer are...

- Supporting Feats: Sharpshooter being the most important by adding damage and negating range/cover penalties. Crossbow Expert follows if you're into crossbows. Elven Accuracy is niche but could be helpful if you're shooting a lot with Advantage (from stealth, for example).

- Attacks: More attacks means more damage, especially when combined with SS. At least 11 levels of Fighter to get 3 attacks for an Attack action is very nice. Also Action Surge and similar action boosters are helpful. Xbow 2-weapon style increases rate-of-fire as well.

- Accuracy: Attacks are only effective if they actually hit. Although you'll hear comments that the -5 to hit on SS is a mild nuisance, it is a significant penalty that you'll want to shave as much as possible. Archery Fighting Style is a must and to-hit enhancements like Precision Attack, a +x magical weapon, Bless and others improve your ability to put damage on target. Shooting with Advantage also helps, so good stealth capabilities and other situations that can confer that are good.

- Damage: The reason you're shooting in the first place. With high rate-of-fire the SS bonus is your bread and butter. Additional base damage from a high Dex and magical weapon bonus is good, too. Then there's bonus damage from abilities like Sneak Attack, Hex, Colossus Slayer, Hunter's Mark and the like which are always good to have, especially for Crits. Try to make sure the minimum damage from each of your shots is striking for at least 20hp. Also a magic weapon is imperative at higher level to ensure you can effect all targets.

Best archer is basically Ranger until level 11 when the fighter is competitive. You can use the -5/+10 part of SS on horde breaker, volley and the level 5 ranger spell that grants +2 attacks. Basic build hunters quarry+ colossus slayer> fighter until level 11.

CapnZapp

Legend
I can't decide between Fighter or Ranger and I can't help feeling like the "best archer" should have a some Rogue levels for sneak damage.

I'm thinking 5-8 levels of Ranger or Fighter and then Rogue our from there.
Variant human Battlemaster Fighter with 3-5 levels of Hunter Ranger. Pick Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert feats. Try to gain advantage on as many attacks as possible. When you have it, use -5/+10 and use Precision maneuver to turn near misses into hits.

You will fight with a single Hand Crossbow. You're equally good in melee as at range; you get the +2 Archery bonus in both cases. You effectively fight as if you were using TWF (including the dex modifier damage on your off-hand as if you had the two weapon fighting style!) to wield two 120 ft shortswords that somehow still count as greatweapons.

Most Ranger abilities are honestly useless, what you're after is the free attack (Horde Breaker). Don't bother with ranger spells, at least not in combat.

Don't bother with Rogue levels. You're much better off getting to Fighter 11 as soon as possible - at level 14 you could have five attacks!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Best archer is basically Ranger until level 11 when the fighter is competitive. You can use the -5/+10 part of SS on horde breaker, volley and the level 5 ranger spell that grants +2 attacks. Basic build hunters quarry+ colossus slayer> fighter until level 11.

There is no way ranger is better than battlemaster if you are talking sharpshooter

AriochQ

Adventurer
I have played online with a couple of Gloom Stalker 3/Fighter X/hand crossbow/sharpshooter archers. They do absurd damage if they can consistently attack from darkness since every attack gets advantage and monsters have disadvantage to hit them (assuming target relies on darkvision, which most mobs do).

Remove ads