D&D 5E What D&D Beyond should have been.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
If you want to contact someone, which method do you think is best: 1) call them on the phone directly, or 2) put a message in a bottle, and hope the bottle some day happens to find itself in the hands of the person you're trying to contact?

I hate talking on the phone, so I might try the bottle thing.

Or I might find it more comfortable voicing my opinion amongst a gathering of like minded, and maybe if enough people would think like me, I would add to their voices.

/M

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So how would WotC safeguard against Curse dumping the price to 1 dollar for the PH, for example?

/M

They may not. Curse would take a bath on their license fees to WOTC (they still pay WOTC for each sale, probably around $25 or so), and could face an unfair competition claim from Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds perhaps for predatory pricing, but WOTC may not control the price. All they can do is charge them whatever the per-sale fee they get in the contract. Curse remains an independent company and sets their own prices.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I hate talking on the phone, so I might try the bottle thing.

Or I might find it more comfortable voicing my opinion amongst a gathering of like minded, and maybe if enough people would think like me, I would add to their voices.

/M

So Facebook? Or even Reddit?

This really is literally one of the worst methods available to you.

Maggan

Why would WotC care if they did?)

Because it would establish the value of a digital version of the PH at 1 dollar. And that could be very bad in the long term for WotC.

But I realise that having Curse being the "seller" of the digital content makes it easier for WotC to say no to the wishes for free or discounted PDF versions upon purchase of the books, so that's one good thing for them, I guess.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Because it would establish the value of a digital version of the PH at 1 dollar. And that could be very bad in the long term for WotC.
And if you were selling physical copies for $1 it would also be bad? I don't get it.

Maggan

So Facebook? Or even Reddit?

This really is literally one of the worst methods available to you.

I'm not really sure how the impression of me wanting to desperately talk to WotC took hold in this thread.

To go back to my initial point, the OP got some pushback about posting his opinions on D&D, and I think EN World is a great place to post opinions on D&D, be they adressed at WotC or not.

/M

Maggan

And if you were selling physical copies for $1 it would also be bad? I don't get it.

Well, yes, because then the value of the PH is 1 dollar, while the cost for producing it is, I dunno, let's say 10 dollar for discussion sake. So the PH then becomes a losing proposition for WotC, and they would shut the game down.

But my reasoning about this is hypothetical in the extreme, so it might not be a very relevant tangent to pursue.

/M

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Now this may be one more rant about wanting something more for same money or no money.

But to me, paying extra 30€ over 50€ book just to have it in digital format is kind of expensive for the somewhat limited expansion of content and utility from Beyond.

D&D Beyond should have been alot cheaper in the first place(maybe it will be, all depends on future suply/demand ratio).

Paizo prices his PDF books at 10€.

Digitals tools are somewhat more expensive to make and it needs maintenance.

So 15-20€ per book should be max price.

Also every printed book should come with "book key" inside that you could add to your account for discount in the digital tool. As you already payed for the content, you should only pay for digital utility of that content.
Around 5-10€ per digital book that you already own in print.

Hmm this seems more like "What D&D Beyond should have cost" rather than "What D&D Beyond should have been". While those topics are surely linked I don't think they are the same. I would have preferred a discussion on the latter.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Well, yes, because then the value of the PH is 1 dollar, while the cost for producing it is, I dunno, let's say 10 dollar for discussion sake. So the PH then becomes a losing proposition for WotC, and they would shut the game down.

But my reasoning about this is hypothetical in the extreme, so it might not be a very relevant tangent to pursue.

/M

Is your idea that if Curse offers it for $1 but still pays WotC whatever, $10, then after Curse goes out of business WotC will somehow be forced to keep selling it for $1? I would not not have said that was the case. If you buy a thousand PHBs on Amazon and sell them all for a dollar each, nothing forces Amazon to change their price to $1 going forward.

Remove ads