D&D 5E What D&D Beyond should have been.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Hey, gang. Can't we agree that giving WotC feedback on their current offering is a good thing to do? And not belittle those who choose to do so in a simple, rather non-offensive post? Sometimes people just need to vent.

Cheers!

/M

If only that venting wasn't the thousandth post about the issue, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
I can't fathom how any sane person thinks Twitter... TWITTER!!! is a better way to get customer feedback than this forum.

And, sadly, I think you're right.

The main reason it is "better" at the moment is that many companies, from small business to corporate behemoth, are hypersensitive to social media feedback. If someone starts complaining they will typically bend over backwards to staunch it in some way before it becomes a trending thing.

I know WOTC people used to frequent these boards. I don't know if they still do or not but they probably have a few people at WOTC and at Hasbro dedicated to social media full time.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I mean, I wouldn't buy it if it was $1, but that's only because I am an old-school curmudgeon who likes books ... primarily because I can't throw computers at people. I mean, I could, but that gets a little too costly after a while.

I would know you were actually serious if you threw a computer at me rather then just some kind of old-school curmudgeon who likes throwing books around.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I can't fathom how any sane person thinks Twitter... TWITTER!!! is a better way to get customer feedback than this forum.

Instead of "better," think" "immediate, "efficient," or "high volume." A forum is a great place for discussion, but Twitter is amazing for immediate and wise dissemination of info. It is what it is.

For collecting feedback, they rely less on Twitter than their professional market research.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
snipped image

I'm pretty confident that D&D Beyond has a contract with WotC.

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam on here, reddit, and pretty much any forum where people talk about D&D. You can want what you want but things aren't changing anytime soon. The sales pretty much confirm that what they are doing is working so don't expect things to change anytime soon. Just because other companies do things one way doesn't mean that another company is going to match them. Obviously they don't have to since 5e is selling very well without doing the same thing Paizo is doing.

This. Again?

If only that venting wasn't the thousandth post about the issue, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I'd like to make something clear. Just because you've had a conversation before doesn't mean nobody else is allowed to have that conversation thereafter. You wouldn't walk into a room, find a group of people discussing the latest Thor movie and demand that they stop because you and your friends discussed it last week.

If a conversation doesn't interest you, is boring to you, or is one you've already had with somebody else, then simply move on and start a conversation more to your liking. What isn't acceptable is driving away people who are trying to discuss topics which, while they may be old to you, are new to them.

Register your disinterest by non-participation, not by threadcrapping. Read a different thread, or start one of your own.

Henry

Autoexreginated

As much as it pains me, Twitter is a more accurate gauge of customer sentiment across the entire customer base, because the average gamer who isn’t dedicated to in-depth conversation and who doesn’t have an enormous time commitment to gaming is not going to be on forums like these, they’re going to be on a larger more well-known platform like Twitter where they already have an account and don’t need to invest a large amount of time in discussion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As much as it pains me, Twitter is a more accurate gauge of customer sentiment across the entire customer base, because the average gamer who isn’t dedicated to in-depth conversation and who doesn’t have an enormous time commitment to gaming is not going to be on forums like these, they’re going to be on a larger more well-known platform like Twitter where they already have an account and don’t need to invest a large amount of time in discussion.

The disadvantage is that you usually only see stuff you’re following. While they see a high volume of it, I wouldn’t think the D&D designers themselves see a wide *variety* of sentiment; the curation value of Twitter also acts as insulation. Then again, I’m sure they are somebody on staff whose job it is to find all that stuff.

Things have different strengths. I think the surveys are the best format for positive and negative feedback. Forums are good for in-depth discussion.

But then these forums are for *us* to talk to each other; they’re not intended as a feedback platform. Which is why it’s particularly annoying when somebody comes here just wanting to talk about his hobby with his fellow fans, and folks push back against that basic human behaviour.

DocMindwipe

First Post
I, for one, agrees somewhat with the OP.

With thr physical books costing in the area of £30, having to pay another £30 to be able to use the same books seems a bit.... extortionate.

Which is why I'll rely on other people to help me instead of buying something I will have a limited use of. "Limited" here in the sense that I just can't utilise an ebook as efficiently as I can a dead tree version of the same

Sent from my SM-G935F using EN World mobile app

schnee

First Post
The disadvantage is that you usually only see stuff you’re following. While they see a high volume of it, I wouldn’t think the D&D designers themselves see a wide *variety* of sentiment; the curation value of Twitter also acts as insulation. Then again, I’m sure they are somebody on staff whose job it is to find all that stuff.

I work in the field, and yeah, there is - and there's amazing software that tracks the volume, frequency, content, and even the emotional barometer of tweets based on a lot of algorithmic analysis. They benchmark how it normally goes, keep their eyes on fluctuations and trends, and have it all nicely visualized. They also get a 'pipe' that's more immediate than what shows up in browsers, so it's faster.

I'm not sure if WOTC uses the high level stuff like that, granted - it can get quite expensive and is usually used by, say, consumer software companies - but even the most trivially-assembled social monitoring station will be able to see what's happening in real time with enough insight to see when people are more angry or upset than usual.

With their reliance on research this time around - surveys, polling, qualitative and quantitative analysis, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a good setup. It's a basic part of PR/Marketing now, and good places have that information pumped right into product development and design on a regular basis.

Remove ads