Who Killed the Megaverse?

The popularity of Dungeons & Dragons has helped establish a baseline genre of fantasy that makes the game easily accessible to those familiar with its tropes. But in D&D's early days, the idea of mixing sci-fi and fantasy was built into the game.

fantasy-2639053_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​
D&D's Inspiration
Co-creator of D&D, Gary Gygax, was fond of pointing out that the inspiration for D&D was more inspired by R.E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian series than J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but that does a disservice to the list of authors he identified in Appendix N of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide:
The most immediate influences upon AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H. P. Lovecraft, and A. Merritt; but all of the above authors, as well as many not listed, certainly helped to shape the form of the game.
de Camp's Lest Darkness Fallis an alternate history science fiction novel. Leiber's Fafhrd & Gray Mouser meet "a German man named Karl Treuherz of Hagenbeck who is looking for his spaceship, which he uses to cross the boundaries between different worlds in his hunt for animals for a zoo" in The Swords of Lankhmar. Vance's works are set in The Dying Earth, where "magic has loose links to the science of old, and advanced mathematics is treated like arcane lore." A. Merritt's Creep, Shadow! is a pulpy adventure featuring:
...a witch that murders people with her animated dolls. It’s got sketchy scientists, femme fatales, world travelling adventurer types, and even a hard boiled Depression-era Texan.
H.P. Lovecraft wrote more modern weird horror while R.E. Howard's Conan took place in a fantasy setting -- and yet the two borrowed themes from each other's works to blend into the Cthulhu Mythos we know today. Add all this up, and D&D was anything but "regular" fantasy. So how did we get here?
You've Got Martians in My D&D!
James Maliszewski explains at Black Gate:
However, I think it worth noting that, in his foreword of November 1, 1973, when Gary Gygax is explaining just what D&D is, he makes no mention of Tolkien. Instead, he references “Burroughs’ Martian adventures,” “Howard’s Conan saga,” “the de Camp & Pratt fantasies,” and “Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.” Most of the borrowings from Middle-earth occur in Volume 2 of the game, Monsters & Treasure, which only makes sense as many of Tolkien’s creatures are easily dropped into almost any fantasy setting. Of course, Gygax does something similar with Burroughs; D&D‘s wilderness encounter tables include tharks, Martians of every hue, apts, banths, thoats, white apes, and more. I think this makes it readily apparent that, far from being the pre-eminent inspiration of the game, Middle-earth is one of many and not necessarily the greatest one.
The other co-creator of D&D, Dave Arneson, demonstrated his proclivity for mixing sci-fi with fantasy in the Original D&D set, Supplement II, Blackmoor:
While this background provides no real details about the Blackmoor setting itself, it does explain that the high priest of the Temple of the Frog, an individual known as Stephen the Rock, is “an intelligent humanoid from another world/dimension.” Furthermore, Stephen possesses several mysterious devices, such as an anti-gravity unit and an interstellar communicator. I found this information intriguing. I was of course already familiar with Gary Gygax’s Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, as well as the “Mutants & Magic” section of the AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide, which provide guidelines for mixing science fiction and fantasy. But Supplement II was published in 1975, before any of this, which suggested to me that perhaps Arneson was perhaps the originator of this kind of “mixed genre” gaming.
There was the tantalizing possibility of D&D crossing genres, as evidenced by the Gamma World and Boot Hill crossover rules in the AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide. And of course, there was the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, itself inspired by Jim Ward's Gamma World.

But it was not to be. Gygax frequently defended D&D's inclusion of Tolkien-esque creatures as a necessary sop to the popularity of the genre, but as Maliszewski points out, D&D eventually became its own genre, helping strongly demarcate fantasy vs. science fiction:
Prior to the success of Dungeons & Dragons, fantasy was a very broad genre, encompassing everything from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland to A Princess of Mars to Howard’s Conan stories and more. The earliest players and designers of fantasy roleplaying games understood and accepted this, but, as these games gained popularity and moved beyond their original audience, they became much more self-referential and self-contained – a genre unto themselves – rather than drawing on the anarchic literature that inspired them.
The onus would be on other RPGs to deliver on the promise of a truly cross-genre universe with Palladium's Rifts being the foremost example. D&D would follow suit with its Planescape and Spelljammer settings that attempted to encompass all the other D&D universes, but even those settings generally stuck to fantasy as a baseline.

New mixed-genre stories have since spun out of that baseline assumption, regularly mixing technology with fantasy in a way that was fresh to fans of the Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon. Thanks to the Internet, cross-pollination between genres is a natural outgrowth of so many ideas mixing together, and that's reflected in our own D&D campaigns where aliens or robots might make a surprise appearance. With the announcement by Goodman Games of the return of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, it looks like the megaverse still has some life in it yet.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

JeffB

Legend
When we started playing OD&D in the 70s, the mish mash was common and accepted by most. As I've said before we played things like Paladins of Odin raiding the Temple of Set underneath a ruined city on Barsoom (long before Stargate was a thing). Not always, but we had elements like this. Reading Blackmoor/Temple of the Frog, Arduin, and various articles in Alarums in Excursions promoted it I guess.

At some point in the early to mid 1980s, as I hit my "realistic" phase in life- I became a opponent of this beyond running something like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

As mentioned above, D&D has become it's own genre/brand of fantasy. It doesn't seem to mesh well, welcome or encourage this sort of thing that the original game was steeped in. Mainly because the game has veered so far from the literary roots that initially was it's primary influence. Modern D&D is more Hollywood than Howard.

These days I have revisited, enjoy, and run a lot of Palladium Fantasy, and dabble with RIFTS. The MEGAVERSE tm. Is doing just fine ;) DCCRPG and much of the OSR still embraces the "weird fantasy" of the original game. Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerers of Hyperborea is a fantastic and fun example of how to do this in D&D without seeming out of place or jarring.

I feel it's appropriate the bring back the Progress Level concept when dealing with different worlds. It was featured in D20 Modern but I think it was in a few places before such as Alternity.

They had things like:
PL0: Stone Age
PL1: Bronze/Iron Age, likely the Progress Level of Athas
PL2: Middle Ages, most D&D worlds
PL3: Age of Reason, some D&D worlds touch on that with FR's Lantan, Mystara's Savage Coast and parts of Spelljammer, Ravenloft, and parts of the Planes too
PL4: Industrial Age, the Masque of the Red Death
PL5: Information Age, our world and D20 Modern in general
PL6: Fusion Age, cyberpunk and near future space settings, like possibly the Expanse
PL7: Gravity Age, possibly Star Wars
PL8: Energy Age, Possibly Star Trek
PL9: Beyond Comprehension...

Heck yes, science-fantasy!

Monte Cook is returning to the 5E science-fantasy game with Arcana of the Ancients (on Kickstarter until April 12), a supplement that takes the monsters, artifacts, cyphers, abilities, and adventure of Numenera and brings it into your existing traditional fantasy 5E games. In a world of dragons, your PCs discover unfathomably advanced ancient civilizations, and unleash their magic and beasts and wonder upon your setting.

Check out this ready-to-use bestiary entry mockup of the Disassembler, a truly weird monster to delight and frighten your PCs:

Disassembler-header.png

We're pretty jazzed to take our staff of writers from the D&D days (Monte, Bruce Cordell, Sean Reynolds) back into their old stomping grounds. We love this aesthetic :)

Bobble

Villager
I always found Gygax's downplaying of the Tolkien influence to be rather disingenuous. Tolkien was obviously a huge influence, from elves-dwarves-halfings-orcs to "You meet in a tavern" to rangers to Smaug to...well, it goes on and on. IIRC, Gygax spoke of Tolkien somewhat like a petulant teen rebelling against a parent that they want to distance themselves from but unconsciously emulate.

The "you meet in a tavern" predates Tolkien by DECADES in published works. Elves are not a Tolkien invention though Hobbits are. Rangers as played in Tolkien in name and function originated in North America when the British were pushing into Indian territory. OF course the typical Red coat could not fight the Indians in wild spaces between the forts so a new type of warrior came to be that protected travelers from Indian predation. The type of dragon that Smaug was predates Tolkien by hundreds of years in literature.

One must be well read to see what Tolkien borrowed vs. what he created from whole cloth...

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
At some point in the early to mid 1980s, as I hit my "realistic" phase in life- I became a opponent of this beyond running something like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. <...> As mentioned above, D&D has become it's own genre/brand of fantasy. It doesn't seem to mesh well, welcome or encourage this sort of thing that the original game was steeped in. Mainly because the game has veered so far from the literary roots that initially was it's primary influence. Modern D&D is more Hollywood than Howard.

One thing that I think happened was, in addition to a more consistent separation of the genre of "weird tales" into fantasy and sci fi, there was a desire to present a more consistent world, which meant that having intrusions such as sci fi felt "wrong," like the obvious glossy attempt at a single that often appeared on an otherwise dark and gritty indie album. The sci fi elements often seemed to come out of thin air and could feel very out of place.

I played in Barrier Peaks in the late '90s and we had a blast. We managed to work it in and make it feel part of the world we were running in (Greyhawk), so it didn't feel out of place. Part of that was helped by the fact that the group I played with then (and still do, albeit mostly online now) were XCom fans, so Barrier Peaks got a gloss of XCom Apocalypse thrown on, which made it feel like there was a shared background.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases