The D&D Movie Finds Its Director

The Dungeons & Dragons movie has found its director - Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). The Warner Bros. movie, scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), is being produced by Rob Lee (The Lego Movie, How To Train Your Dragon) and others after the longstanding legal dispute involving Sweetpea Entertainment and Hasbro was resolved. The script is based on Johnson's script Chainmail, itself based on D&D's precursor and will be taking cues, stylistically, from Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Dungeons & Dragons movie has found its director - Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). The Warner Bros. movie, scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), is being produced by Rob Lee (The Lego Movie, How To Train Your Dragon) and others after the longstanding legal dispute involving Sweetpea Entertainment and Hasbro was resolved. The script is based on Johnson's script Chainmail, itself based on D&D's precursor and will be taking cues, stylistically, from Guardians of the Galaxy.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

There's more information on the Guardians of the Galaxy inspiration here. We know it is set in the Forgotten Realms, is an ensemble piece, and is hopefully the first in a franchise spanning multiple worlds. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

This latest info comes from Tracking Board. The other tidbit in that article is that "sources say that producers are eyeing a Vin Diesel-type for the film’s lead characters". Additionally, WotC staff has indicated occasionally that they have some involvement in the movie.

Valetudo

Explorer
There is no way this movie is going to be any good. Im sorry but everything ive heard so far makes me cringe. Its gonna have no budget, bad writing, and probably bad actors. Not to mention once again they will add bad dnd jokes that they will deserve to be punched in the thoat for even thinking. I agree with others that they should just do crystal shards. And im not even a drizzt fan.

Kaodi

Hero
I will stand with the poster who said before, "Hope springs eternal."

Maybe one day we will get a D&D movie written by [MENTION=189]jonrog1[/MENTION] .

Reinhart

First Post
As critical as I am of WotC, I don't think they're really to blame for any of this. It wasn't even their choice to work with Warner Bros. That decision was made by Sweet Pea when Hasbro originally wanted to work with Universal Studios.

So what's happening here is they're just taking what's given to them. I suspect that Warner Bros doesn't really know what to make of the D&D IP, as this is somewhat uncharted territory for success. As a result they're playing it cautious and looking at which fantasy/action writers and directors they already have on contract and that aren't tapped for more lucrative projects already. Basically we're getting the "don't risk too much, then roll the dice and maybe get lucky" approach to movie making.

Somehow I feel like the biggest hope for the movie is that it may still be early enough for the producer to have the director and writer replaced.

A great movie can still be made on a relatively small budget. Deadpool showed the world that much this year.

It actually doesn't matter if the director and writer are DnD fans as long as they are good at what they do and are respectful to source material. The writer especially needs to be someone who takes the time to do the proper research, unlike the debacle of The Last Airbender...

martinlochsen

Explorer
As critical as I am of WotC, I don't think they're really to blame for any of this. It wasn't even their choice to work with Warner Bros. That decision was made by Sweet Pea when Hasbro originally wanted to work with Universal Studios.

Ok. I didn't know any of that. Where is this info from? I was under the impression the legal difficulties were between Sweat Pea and Warner.

EDIT: Found that info on my own. You're right, of course. I haven't been paying attention.

Anyway, everything they're doing gives me the impression that this whole "multimedia franchise" thing they're going for follows a sort of "get the highest profile people we can get for the budget we have"-strategy, rather than "who would be the right people to do this right". I'm not really business-savvy or anything, so I might well be wrong, but the whole thing just reeks of business minded people doing what should be done by creative minded ones.

Look at n-space too. They've never done anything interesting. Lots of ports of big games for NDS, and a bunch of really crappy original games.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkB

Legend
I'll be glad if they steer clear of Vin Diesel. Not because he's a bad fit for the style of story they're going for, but because if they did get him, it would in all likelihood become a Vin Diesel movie, and I'd much prefer it to be a true ensemble movie.

Remove ads

Remove ads