D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Raven Queen

gyor

Legend
[video=youtube_share;gXWgG83jyaI]https://youtu.be/gXWgG83jyaI[/video]

This is alittle confusing and I'm left wondering how the Raven Queen and the Shadar Kai fits into settings other then the Forgotten Realms.

aco175

Legend
He says that she slew Nerull in FR and took over the portfolio of death, but not in Greyhawk. I did not think that she was even in FR and thought that she was just in 4e and never carried over. I always liked the 4e version of her and she fits in 5e for how I play. In my games the PCs will most likely never encounter her, or any gods for that matter. I would like to see how she fits in FR among the other gods. Also how the shadowfell fits.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
He says that she slew Nerull in FR and took over the portfolio of death, but not in Greyhawk. I did not think that she was even in FR and thought that she was just in 4e and never carried over. I always liked the 4e version of her and she fits in 5e for how I play. In my games the PCs will most likely never encounter her, or any gods for that matter. I would like to see how she fits in FR among the other gods. Also how the shadowfell fits.

He said she slew Nerull in the world of Nentir Vale, not in FR.

I’ll definately use a combination of the 4e stuff and my own take of her and her two sisters as Archfey who rule over The Court of Night in my homebrew that has the Feywild and Shadowfel as one plane.

gyor

Legend
No that was the Nentir Vale that the Raven Queen killed Nerull and took his place as God of the Dead, not the Forgotten Realms.

The Nentir Vale is not in the realms its what people have come to call the 4e setting.

Mearls didn't address FR at all.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I also strongly disliked the comments he made on Shadar-kai. Seems like a wildly different take for particular reason.

The whole thing does, actually.

Why is she an interloper who “meddles” in death, ruling over a ramshackle town, with the insinuation that even in Nentir Vale she isn’t actually a goddess but just is worshipped as one anyway?

Why even bring her back if it’s just to completely reinvent her?

gyor

Legend
Also important to note that there will be another video on the Raven Queen and the Shadar Kai with Jeremy Crawford explaining her and their ties to MTOF at some later date (when I don't know, they didn't give a date in this video).

Hopefully how this relates to FR will be clarified.

gyor

Legend
I also strongly disliked the comments he made on Shadar-kai. Seems like a wildly different take for particular reason.

The whole thing does, actually.

Why is she an interloper who “meddles” in death, ruling over a ramshackle town, with the insinuation that even in Nentir Vale she isn’t actually a goddess but just is worshipped as one anyway?

I hope the Jeremy Crawford video yet to come will provide more clarity then this video did.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like and applaud their efforts. Keep developing your game people!

It does however, continue to make it harder and harder to manage expectations from new players to my campaign when you have taken races and dieties that were somewhat "nebulous" in a certain direction, and now WotC publicizes their version of "canon".

Not insurmountable, just...harder.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

She's the most well-known personage from the Shadowfell plane. As they wanted to have "lords" of the Shadowfell just like they have "lords" of the Feywild (which are the Archfey) they had to start somewhere. So they took quite possibly the most popular divine figure from 4E's setting and are now keeping her identity active in the history of the game.

Do they need to change things a bit so that she can still apply to other settings in which she is not an actual god? Sure. But so what? I'm sure all the Greyhawk players were questioning all that weird Dawn War fluff that got given to Pelor when he showed up as a god in Nerath. Or how Moradin's stories are all different in all the different settings that have used the dwarven pantheon.

We all saw Asmodeus become a god in 4E and we got over it. I think we can handle the Raven Queen not being a god in non-Nerath settings and get over that too. Because at least we still get to use her as a character in the game rather than completely wipe away her entire existence because we aren't playing 4E anymore.

Remove ads