D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Raven Queen

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This part jumps out at me, because it sounds a lot like the fate of the Darklords in the Domains of Dread. What if the Raven Queen created the Dark Powers to capture these fascinating souls, which in turn created the Domains of Dread to house them? After all, the setting is called Ravenloft...

dun...dun...DUN!

I don’t care if they make Asmodeus a god, or changing the overarching cosmology. I care about characters, nations, worlds, organizations, etc retaining heir fundemental character. Asmodeus shouldn’t suddenly become honest, or act very differently. He’s a god in 4e, but he is otherwise precisely the same character.

Maybe rather then just relying on Mearls description we should wait for how it's described in the book.

While some things likely changed I would assume quite a bit about her would be the same. Also Asmodeus is very honest, just in a deceitful way.

mordenkainen's tome of foes is going to be about the bigger conflicts in the Multiverse.

So whatever they are chainging about the Raven Queen and the Shardakai might be to setup a bigger Shadowfell vs Feyfild conflict.

gyor

Legend
Maybe rather then just relying on Mearls description we should wait for how it's described in the book.

While some things likely changed I would assume quite a bit about her would be the same. Also Asmodeus is very honest, just in a deceitful way.

The best liers can lie with the TRUTH, aka spin, strip fact of their context, tell too unrelated facts together in such a way that peoples natural assumptions will link them, weave threads of truth together to create mistaken impression via his understanding of how people instictively fill in the blanks, the use of weasal words.

Example warn someone that demons wish to destroy everything that person loves, but that giving the Asmodesus his soul will help him fight the demons, all true, but leaving out the fact that demons have no access to his world at all so it doesn't matter what the demons want, and that its not his wirld that Asmodesus fights the demons over.

gyor

Legend
mordenkainen's tome of foes is going to be about the bigger conflicts in the Multiverse.

So whatever they are chainging about the Raven Queen and the Shardakai might be to setup a bigger Shadowfell vs Feyfild conflict.

Yeah that's true, maybe Eldarin vs. Shadar Kai, with some discusion of how both fight with Drow, although I imagine because their normal plane isn't the material plane unlike the Drow, its more Drow vs. High (Gold/Silver) and Wood Elves and Wild Elves. Sea Elf vs. Drow would be rarest of all, but some Saghauine (fish men monster) are born with a mutatuation that makes them look like Sea Elves, which are used as infiltrators.

gyor

Legend
I actually wonder if they might not talk about the Dawn War. That would be pretty cool.

I think they will save that for a deity/religion book, but I could be wrong.

Thing is the book is mostly focused on ongoing conflicits, the Dawn War is back in the early mists of history, its not current.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think they will save that for a deity/religion book, but I could be wrong.

Thing is the book is mostly focused on ongoing conflicits, the Dawn War is back in the early mists of history, its not current.
That’s true. I just don’t see any ongoing conflicts the Shadar-Kai and the Raven Queen would really be involved in. Having them fighting the Eladrin seems really forced, as I see no particular reason for animosity between them. I think it’s more likely we’ll see info on the elf/drow/orc conflict and the various cultural divides amongst the elves that have resulted from it, which might include the Shadar-Kai amd their reasons for colonizing the shadowfell.

gyor

Legend
That’s true. I just don’t see any ongoing conflicts the Shadar-Kai and the Raven Queen would really be involved in. Having them fighting the Eladrin seems really forced, as I see no particular reason for animosity between them. I think it’s more likely we’ll see info on the elf/drow/orc conflict and the various cultural divides amongst the elves that have resulted from it, which might include the Shadar-Kai amd their reasons for colonizing the shadowfell.

If they are discussing Elven wars they really need to talk about the Crown Wars, they we're thee inter Elf wars in FR and they we're big and scary wars, like it shattered a supercontinient, lead to Sundering echoing through time, several genocicial magic's, and other major events. It's why the Elves went from dominating Toril, to humans dominating Toril, several Elven Empires we're wiped out, the Dark Elves we're turned into the Drow, the Fey'ri came about, and Evermeet was created.

Remove ads