D&D 5E I need help building an Aarakocra bard.

Grinn

First Post
Hello! First post here, and it's a "help me with a build post" :erm:. You all seem quite knowledgeable, and I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to building a bard.

So, why Aarakocra? And why bard? I have a good role-playing idea for an Aarakocra bard that can't actually sing, but thinks he can (yet, his musical prowess, or lack thereof, still seems to fire off his spells). He also has what I call "bird turrets" which causes him to randomly squawk when he's nervous", and as an Aarakocra, that's almost all the time that he's in enclosed spaces (caves, dungeons, sewers, etc). I'm not so much trying to be a nuisance to my party, but a small added challenge to our stealthiness, and I think it gives a good balance to the whole flying 50 ft whenever thing. This character was "hired" by my current party after my previous character died (RIP Lerb. Man, woman, changeling. You will be missed.), so, we'll see if they want to continue with his employment XD.

Willing to discuss any bard builds that sound like they would work. Aside from my characters personal flaws, I would like him to be a good use in battle. Probably more support than damage. Something that gives me plenty of opportunity to "sing".

Jediking

Explorer
Welcome!

Guide by EvilAnagram http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427508-Player-s-Gonna-Play-A-Bard-s-Guide

Guide by [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?363601-Bardic-Lore-A-Basic-College-of-Lore-Bard-Guide

Guide by [MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468629-GUIDE-A-party-without-music-is-lame-A-Bard-Guide

All three are very good guides, that give some overview of options and discuss why each is ranked as so. But keep in mind: these are guides, and they show what is useful in a "white room" campaign. Talk to your DM and group about what the flavour and theme you are playing in. If you want to take an ability or spell that isn't ranked high but seems like fun (flying birdman shooting Pyrotechnics overhead?), then go for it. 5e is great at keeping classes and races in the running, even if they are not optimized. Don't let the colour of a feature change your fun, or listen to any person who says it won't work just because. If you and your group are having fun, it's working.

Being better in battle depends on your style, and there are tonnes of ways to be helpful. If you want him to be attack/buff with magic, go College of Lore. If you want to smack a guy a bit, go College of Valor. Either can do a bit of both with the proper set up. This is where the guides can give great pointers.

And for not being able to sing and squawking, that sounds like a fun roleplaying idea. You could choose some spells to reinforce that (perhaps Dissonant Whispers is you trying to encourage your enemy), or it can just be a personality that you roleplay with no mechanical ties. Don't actually sabotage your party while stealthing, but blaming a bad roll because you were testing the echoes of the cave is what playing a character is about. But think of your party too; a few jokes when the tension is high could be hilarious or break the mood. Use your judgment, have fun, and good luck.

Jediking

Explorer
I have a good role-playing idea for an Aarakocra bard that can't actually sing, but thinks he can...
... Probably more support than damage. Something that gives me plenty of opportunity to "sing".

Spells like Dissonant Whispers, Blindness/Deafness, Vicious Mockery, Crown of Madness, Confusion... You can flavour a lot of spells as singing so bad it causes others to need to shut their ears or drive them wild.

Grinn

First Post
Thank you for the advice everyone. I'll be looking over these guides in detail, and I'll do my best to come up with something.

Remove ads