D&D 5E Improved Find Familiar

Guys, the MM says you can get better familiars as a DM variant because even an imp familiar is not as powerful as an Oathbow. All the precious "balance" goes right out the window as soon as the DM starts handing out magic items. So if you do magic items, then this is a non-issue. You don't have to alter the class to accommodate improved familiars. If they want a better familiar, the DM can just treat it as treasure and try to work it in.

Weak-weak-weak arguments. The DM can very much decide what he does or does not allow.
If you are reduced to saying ‘DM fiat’ in rules questions then you’ve already lost the argument. You are literally trying to argue from authority - except you are handwaving the authority to everyone, which is meaningless. I don’t have Tielflings in the campaign I run - it doesn’t mean that they aren’t in the rules.

Get back to me when you actually have an argument, as opposed to reactionary posturing.

Last edited:

moisan4

Villager
The spell Find Familiar clearly states what kind of creatures can become Familiars. These creatures are "Bat, Cat, Crab, Frog (Toad), Hawk, Lizard, Octopus, Owl, Poisonous Snake, Fish (Quipper), Rat, Raven, Sea Horse, Spider, or Weasel". Every single one of these creatures can be found in the Monster Manual under Miscellaneous Creatures. The quote in the Find Familiar spell about "the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast" is for alignment purposes only, and concerns the casters alignment in these regards. It says nothing about making Celestial, Fey, or Fiend familiars; in fact, it clearly states their statistics are the same as those specifically listed under acceptable creatures listed in the Find Familiar spell as found in the Monsters Manual.

Creatures like the Pseudodragon found in the Monsters Manual clearly state that "some Pseudodragons are willing to serve spellcasters as a familiar." It says "Spellcasters", not anyone who can cast the Find Familiar spell. The fact that Path of the Chain specifically states that "you learn the Find Familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn't count against your number of spells known. When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following Special Forms: Imp, Pseudodragon, Quasit, or Sprite. Additionally, when you take the attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own." The fact that this special class feature clearly states that a Warlock can gain "one of the following Special Forms," and that "you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own;" while the Find Familiar spell clearly states using specifically listed Miscellaneous Creatures only and that they "can't attack, but it can take other actions as normal" says it all. Obviously Warlocks have special features when it comes to Familiars.

Quoting Variant Familiars from the Monsters Manual doesn't count, that is the Monsters Manual used by a Dungeon Master, not the Players Handbook used by Players. The skills and abilities used in the Monsters Manual clearly differ from those found in the Players Handbook. What would be the point of a Players Handbook if Players could just make characters based off of Monsters with absolutely no changes applied, you know, like the Players Handbook clearly does, same with all other official recourses that make Monsters into playable Races.

The Find Familiar spell clearly states what creatures can be used by the spell, and there are no options to use a higher spell slot to gain different familiars listed in the spell description. The Monsters Manual clearly states that certain spellcasters can use special creatures as Familiars. The Players Handbook clearly states those special spellcasters have The Path of the Chain feature, and are the ones capable of using these Special Forms as Familiars. Having these Special Forms of Familiars is literally a feature of a class; and the Non-Warlock Find Familiar spell clearly defines what creatures can be used by the spell, and the Path of the Chain clearly defines what Special Forms can be used as Familiars by Warlocks. Saying otherwise is ridiculous. This is why D&D clearly has a 13+ age suggestion on their products; because they hope by this age people have the required reading comprehension to understand the rules. The rules on this issue are black and white... literally in black and white print! You can homebrew rules if you like, but the RAW on this issue is clearly stated.

Find Familiar is already arguably the best overall 1st level spell in the game. Name any other 1st level spell that's permanent and can grant darkvision or blindsight, use passive perception to search using superior visual and auditory senses while scouting from the ground, air, or under water up to 100' away, use to gain advantage on ability checks, deliver touch based spells without risking the casters health, and fetch. There is no other 1st level spell as versatile as Find Familiar, and in 5E death of a Familiar is just a minor inconvenience of a ritual spell, time, and components; there aren't even any negative repercussions of your familiar dying like in some earlier editions. What more can you want from a 1st level spell... besides also gaining a 3rd level Class Feature too, just for learning a spell.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
I hardly consider Find familiar to even be a Spell. As a ritual, it's nearly a wizard class feature. I vote to let it scale with level, but maybe make it cost a spell slot for daily upkeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TallIan

Explorer
So I'd like the more advanced familiars (the ones Warlocks can get) to be available to Wizards (especially Conjurers).

Do you think making this a 3rd level or 5th level spell would be appropriate?

Any balance issues I'm missing?

I don't think a higher spell slot will do anything for the balance of a better familiar. Find Familiar is a permanent effect, so you just cast it on a day you aren't adventuring, have a rest and even if you make it a 9th level spell no one will really care.

You certainly could use the variant rules in the MM to either just allow it for you wizard - with all the trolling that'll bring from the warlocks - or turn it into a role play opportunity to convince the creature to be your familiar.

Personally I would make it a feat. Requiring a 4th level character and the ability to cast the find familiar spell (in much the same way that a Chain'lock can take the ritual caster feat). Or - if you want to restrict this to conjurors (certainly cool thematically) - you could replace Benign Transposition with something similar to pact of the chain

Tall

Imaro

Legend
Pact of the Chain should have done far more to boost familiars to make it worth taking. Familiars with 7 to 15 hit points aren't too helpful past the low levels. As a DM I kill them often because I feel higher level monsters don't allow small creatures to wander their lairs being well aware that such creatures are a danger.

Wait so they should be boosted because they are not worth taking... and yet you have your powerful monsters go out of their way to kill them because they are... "well aware that such creatures are a danger"... huh?

Imaro

Legend
I find myself on the side of those against giving more powerful familiars to any spellcaster for a couple of reasons...

1. It cheapens the Chain Pact warlock
2. The passage in the MM says Mage... the Mage is the NPC class in the MM nowhere does it refer to wizards.
3. Mage + warlock are spellcasters (plural) thus I fail to see why it necessarily has to be referencing to wizards
4. I don't believe the wizard in 5e really needs more power and/or versatility than he already has.

Now with all this said as stated earlier... a DM is free to do whatever he wants in his particular game... but balance wise denying this just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I'd say the difference between a familiar gained with the Find Familiar spell and one gained by encountering it and getting it to serve you as a familiar is that the one gained via a spell is a spirit that takes a fleshy form, while the one that chooses to serve you isn't a spirit but an actual example of that creature.

This is significant because if your spirit familiar dies you can just summon it again. If the non-spirit familiar dies, that's it. You didn't get it via the spell so you can't summon it via the spell.

That being said, I'd probably allow an Improved Familiar feat that lets you upgrade your familiar spirit into one of the advance forms. Just like evolving a Pokemon. You still don't have the Pact of the Chain invocation for the familiar, and you are now down a feat so I don't think it will step on their toes too much.

The warlock has flexibility with its familiar. It is a spirit (celestial, fiend, or fey) that can change into any of the allowable shapes. "Improved" familiars that anyone with the find familiar spell can gain, as described in the monster manual, are actually the creature listed, with the creatures own type. They shouldn't be allowed to change shape into other creatures.

The Dame Flutterbee familiar certificate from the Adventurer's League gives a precedent example of how to interpret the MM rules. Basically, when the creature chooses to become a familiar (and you'll need to use the spell too, per the MM) they gain the benefits of being a familiar, so they can be sent to their pocket dimension, resurrected just by recasting the spell, etc. They really become a familiar, not just a follower who dies the first time someone looks at it crossways. Do be aware though that acquiring these familiar is through role-playing (or certificate if you're doing AL). You can't just declare you get one when you level up. It might take a quest, and they are still an NPC whose disposition towards you needs to remain positive. Out of character, your DM could certainly still decide to treat it as a resource that they take into account for purposes of handing out magic items or whatnot, but I don't see any benefit to complicating the rules and semi-official precedent by requiring higher level spell slots rather than role-playing. Do I have to spend character build resources to hire a mercenary or two? I hope not.

While the rules don't explicitly say so, I think it is fair to give warlock familiars the benefits normally granted by certain special familiars in the MM (such as Magic Resistance).

Given that warlocks have an invocation or two to let them do extra stuff with their familiars, and the added flexibility of changing its form as they desire, that would seem to make the pact still a worthwhile option without any need to nerf the MM options for other characters with find familiar.

That's how I rule it as a DM, and one of the few things I'd probably fight tooth and claw to convince a DM to rule the
same way if I were a player in their game. (That, or just not play someone who wanted a special familiar.)

PrecedentFamiliar.PNG

Last edited:

Remove ads