Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I'm running Desert of Desolation now. This is a great series which would be a fantastic rerelease. Not a "spiritual successor" like some of the other things they've done which references it the way Greta Van Fleet cops Led Zeppelin's sound, but the real deal.

There's just so much there, especially in the version that was released as a supermodule in 1987. Fill out the setting and work on the bones that are there, which are really solid. They provide a great sandbox (literally and figuratively!) with the PCs being able to seek out the Star Gems once they've gotten into the story in various orders. I've really played up the fact that the gods have cursed the land and left it, which has presented some notable challenges. I put in some quasi-Nazi halflings excavating things, too, to play up the Indiana Jones feel.

Unfortunately I feel the campaign may be falling apart but that's due to the group.

Desert of Desolation is one of my favorites as well. Such a great adventure.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
So hoping this is a nautical themed splat book with heaps of new player and DM options. A lot of creatures too of course.

More than happy for an adventure or two, but please, not more huge adventure paths.

What I would really like to see are some mini-settings. A mini setting in this book would be pretty cool.

(Ravnica was a fantastic mix of what I would like to see going forward. I don't play Magic; I am never likely to run a Ravnica game, but that book was so inspiring as a DM. There is so much in there I want to borrow. One of my favourite 5E books by far. If this is a water setting done the same way, I will be happy).

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I also don't really understand the need for 'conversions'. You could run the 1E Saltmarsh series with 5E straight out of the book. Do people really need official DCs for every trap and skill check? A few new stats for sahuagin etc would be very helpful and all you need.

The U1-3 (Saltmarsh) modules are fantastic, but I don't need a 5E version of them. That being said, if new players know nothing about them, then this would be an ideal introduction. :)

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I also don't really understand the need for 'conversions'. You could run the 1E Saltmarsh series with 5E straight out of the book. Do people really need official DCs for every trap and skill check? A few new stats for sahuagin etc would be very helpful and all you need.

The U1-3 (Saltmarsh) modules are fantastic, but I don't need a 5E version of them. That being said, if new players know nothing about them, then this would be an ideal introduction. :)

If it's just those, I agree with your point. I mean, Tales from the Yawning Portal was rather... appropriately named. However, I could see a nice setup for a campaign that expands things out, making use of the Saltmarsh series as a basis.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

That was WotC line of thinking at the start of 5E, if you read the intro to Princes of the Apocalypse they talk about not wanting to do a remake of Temple of Elemental Evil because it could be run from the old books as-is, which they were and are selling still. I wager they found that most people either didn't know they could, or felt intimidated, and then when DMsGuild came along the module specific conversion guides started selling like hot-cakes.

gyor

Legend
In 2017, the two adventure products had the same archvillain: still pretty different books. If this is an underwater Sahuagin-fest in the style of Aquaman, and the AP is a Sword Coast sandbox (as Perkins has laid hints towards in the past, the upcoming comic series, etc.), those can be even more different in terms of material.

Another Swordcoast Sandbox, no thanks. Sea of Fallen Stars okay, but more Swordcoast, no deal.

U1-3 have been out of print for many years though, and some people prefer not to use downloads. They also like to have glossy modern presentation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Another Swordcoast Sandbox, no thanks. Sea of Fallen Stars okay, but more Swordcoast, no deal.

*shrug* OK. The hints at a future AP from Perkins have involved Lantan and the Kraken Society, so smart odds are not on the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Remove ads

Remove ads