Latest D&D Survey Says "More Feats, Please!"; Plus New Survey About DMs Guild, Monster Hunter, Inqui

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

WotC's Mike Mearls has reported on the latest D&D survey results. "In our last survey, we asked you which areas of D&D you thought needed expansion, and solicited feedback for the latest revision of the mystic character class and new rules for psionics." Additionally, there's a new survey up asking about DMs Guld as well as the last Unearthed Arcana (which featured the Monster Hunter, Inquisitive, and Revenant).

Find the survey results here. The most requested extra content is more feats, followed by classes, spells and races, in that order.

flametitan

Explorer
If maneuvers n/rest resources are too complicated, it's really shy of such options, ATM. Technically none (even the Champion has 2 n/rest resources, 3 if you count HD). The simplest options are pretty similar to eachother, too. The Barbarian (n/day resources, so maybe doesn't even make the cut), the Champion, and the Thief/Assassin (can't say 'rogue' because of the AT), all just use weapons to do a lot of damage. And, while the Thief & Assassin may not be encumbered by resources, they're not exactly simple to play, needing to use the murky stealth rules, maneuver for advantage, and make best use of their Expertise choices. There's no simpler option that uses magic or does anything much besides hitting things. So there's a /lot/ of opportunity. Simpler classes with more (but still simple) stuff going on out of combat, and phone-it-in combat contributions. Simpler magic-using classes of all varieties (there are quite a lot of magic-using classes, afterall) that don't have to mess around with spells and slots or Ki points or anything.

Oh definitely, there's more room to design both ways. I was just disagreeing with somebody who thought BM manoeuvres should be core to the fighter, when really more classes need options to either be simple or complex as the player chooses.

Li Shenron

Legend
I thought 5e was supposed to keep the proliferation of pc crunch to a bare minimum and the DMs Guild was there to take care of it for those who clamor for that sort of thing.

Well the definition of "bare minimum" may not be the same for different people... I can say that for me the core books are enough (haven't bought SCAG, at least not yet) but you can also play Basic only for years. However pretty much everyone agrees that 5e is miles away from 3e/4e in terms of amount of crunch published! Still there's lots of people who ask for more official material, so some additional crunch is to be published sometimes. Personally I would be fine if they'd release feats and other stuff in Unearthed Arcana, so to keep them in that sort of "limbo for stuff that comes from WotC but isn't really official".

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I feel like the analogies that you're using don't translate across to this situation very well.

This is polling consumers of a product for information on what they'd like to see more of. I don't see people as needing game design credentials to have a valid opinion on this. Draw data from enough people and you get a clearer idea of what is lacking in the game from the perspective of those that are playing it. That's useful information to help steer the overall direction of game design.

I mean, c'mon - this is how 5th edition was designed in the first place: a massive playtest to see what people wanted and what they didn't.

Oh aye, I wasn't being clear. What I would not want to see is a book of feats being released unless all the content was given out for testing. In an attempt to clarify - this survey is yes, a marketing tool, intended to identify public opinion. It is also not how 5th Edition was designed in the first place, but is/was certainly a part of it, in that it can streamline the content available for testing. If wizards choose to unload a barrage of feats for testing - great! What I don't want is a barrage of feats unleashed with minimal to no testing, just because it might be popular and bring in the bucks.

CapnZapp

Legend
. It may be better for WoTC to consider why they are asking for more feats than to simply give them more feats.
This is very true.

It feels simplistic to the point of the naive when an experienced designer like that says "you want feats, we'll give you feats" with absolutely no discussion WHAT KIND of feats wanted or given...

Li Shenron

Legend
It feels simplistic to the point of the naive when an experienced designer like that says "you want feats, we'll give you feats" with absolutely no discussion WHAT KIND of feats wanted or given...

They should certainly poll for that too! My guess is that an UA article or two from now will have a small bunch of draft feats (4 to 6), of different kind, and the following poll will be used to gather opinions about them. The latest poll just asked in broad strokes if we wanted more classes, races, spells, or feats.

I too wonder what kind of feats people would like to have... someone in this thread mentioned combat feats, but for instance I would prefer something else.

I really liked feats in 3e (but not the sheer amount of them, with thousands of unimaginative re-hash of previous ideas) because IMHO they were almost the only way in the game to:

(1) shift your character focus towards a different pillar
(2) dial the complexity of your character

If you wanted more combat prowess, you would look among the combat feats, which themselves contained offensive, defensive, specialized, generalistic, or highly tactical options, as well as mere passive bumps. But you then had feats for spellcasters, for exploration, for interaction and even for downtime activities.

At the same time, some feats were highly complex while others were passive bonuses that you'd just add to your character sheet and forget.

If you notice, 5e essentially kept the same idea (2), because you can choose feats to generally increase complexity (and within feats we already have a large range from simple to complex) or you can choose ASI to keep your PC simple. It's almost the same as the 3e feats system, which could have been easily turned into the 5e feats system by adding... an ASI feat!

I don't know why many people hated that 3e feats idea of mashing together combat and non-combat stuff. IMO many of those people were just pissed off by the inability to compare the 2 types mechanically. But I don't care, I would rather be pissed off if the feat system had only combat feats and thus forced everyone to just invest in combat.

---

That said... the 3e feats system certainly had problems.

First of all, too many combat feats which could be combined to awful consequences. This can still happen in 5e if they don't design them carefully.

Second, the whole concept of feats prerequisites didn't turn out well in practice. In 5e we generally have less feats per PC, so it would make a lot more sense to ditch prerequisites altogether, except when having a feat that strictly improves a previous feat.

Third, the sheer amount of 3e feats inevitably implied lots of broken or at least annoying feats, especially those that were simple +s to rolls. But 5e bounded accuracy generally forbids to design such feats. Bad feats like those could be easily spotted.

Last but not least, a real problem were those feats which really removed one key limitation of a class feature, such as "casting in wildshape". That kind of limitation lifting should better be a subclass benefit (if at all), otherwise it turns such feat into something that everyone takes, and feels more like a tax.

---

So what feats would I like to see added? I don't know yet, but I don't want too many more combat feats for sure, I want stuff for PCs who aren't in need to more combat buffs. I would like new feats to add something really new, something you just can't do or even try. A good example was that Arcane Archer feat we had in the playtest: it gave you an ability that you just could not simply ask your DM "I want to try doing this" because it's just not even conceivable by the narrative, unless you have it as a special ability. And at the same time, it's not something that can be seen as a must-have.

So, I have an observation and a question stemming from it. By the way, feel free to tell me it's ridiculous if need be, maybe I'm just new....

Looking at this discussion there seems to be quite a bit of negativity towards the idea of more options in general when they're for the player, with some outright stating that this is one of the biggest ways to impact tables in a bad way. Why is that? I'm primarily a player myself, and don't really understand the hostility. I love making characters, mechanically and through narrative, and every time Wizards releases an expansion to character options my field of possible characters and experiences in 5E gets bigger and better. What's wrong with that? Has it always been this way?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, I have an observation and a question stemming from it. By the way, feel free to tell me it's ridiculous if need be, maybe I'm just new....

Looking at this discussion there seems to be quite a bit of negativity towards the idea of more options in general when they're for the player, with some outright stating that this is one of the biggest ways to impact tables in a bad way. Why is that? I'm primarily a player myself, and don't really understand the hostility. I love making characters, mechanically and through narrative, and every time Wizards releases an expansion to character options my field of possible characters and experiences in 5E gets bigger and better. What's wrong with that? Has it always been this way?

It's a reaction to the overwhelming glut of content that was released under 3e and 4e (and Pathfinder)—there was so much player content in so many books, it was ridiculous as well as being poorly playtested and existed mainly for the sake of new content to lure players into buying More Stuff(TM). Many of us don't want to see that kind of glut again, and some tend to be (overly) paranoid about any sort of new player content.

That said, I think there should be more player content—as long as there's a slow pace of release and it's well thought out and playtested. More than anything, I'd like to see more races, backgrounds, and options for existing classes/subclasses (Battle Master maneuvers, Way of the Elements abilities, Warlock invocations, spells, etc.). However, I think that they should also release more DM material, like additional Monster Manuals (you can't go wrong with more monsters) and such.

RotGrub

First Post
More monsters and optional rules would be the best option.

The game might need a few feats, but I think I'd rather see variant class abilities and new sub-classes.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
More monsters and optional rules would be the best option.

The game might need a few feats, but I think I'd rather see variant class abilities and new sub-classes.

To be honest, I'd appreciate more tools with which to build our own content. Feats, monsters, classes and the like. I realise we can give it a go ourselves but it seems the most valuable thing an experienced team of game designers can share with us is their insight and support with designing content, better.

I realise this might not sell as many books, but with a little juggling, Wizards could release a line of supplements under some catchy umbrella term as 'Tutor Series' or 'D&D Master Class'. They would then present a break down of their design process, share their insights and provide examples. From there we could develop our own content, as each of us wishes.

I'd go for that like a shot.

RotGrub

First Post
To be honest, I'd appreciate more tools with which to build our own content. Feats, monsters, classes and the like. I realise we can give it a go ourselves but it seems the most valuable thing an experienced team of game designers can share with us is their insight and support with designing content, better.

I realise this might not sell as many books, but with a little juggling, Wizards could release a line of supplements under some catchy umbrella term as 'Tutor Series' or 'D&D Master Class'. They would then present a break down of their design process, share their insights and provide examples. From there we could develop our own content, as each of us wishes.

I'd go for that like a shot.

A few years ago I frequently encountered new players who had no idea what graph paper was even used for... Needless to say, they waited for new content like pigs at the troff

So I agree, I think the game must continue to promote the idea that you CAN create your own content. Guidelines for making your own content are always welcome.

Of course, I think the game needs to support DMs a little more in terms optional rules before it starts to bloat character options. Basic rules like swimming in armor or rules that differentiate between exhaustion and hypothermia would be welcome. The current set of rules are a bit to generalized for my liking. A wilderness/dungeon survival guide of sorts would be best. To be honest, as a DM I haven't' seen anything I'm interested in buying since the DMG and MM.

Remove ads

Remove ads