D&D 5E Survivor Core Classes- Fighter Wins!

rgoodbb

Adventurer
"Goblins exist." announced Sister Jericho.

"And in that existence, they bring terror and chaos and sorrow and war and butchery and mayhem and loss and hatred and despair and fear and anger and threat and slavery and depression and loathing and torture and malaise and a colossal feeling of badwrongfun." countered Pur-Ging.

The goblins started to fade even more.

"You done?" asked Gucci, jutting his boney green chin forwards in defiance and casting a 7th level counterargument as a reaction.

"They also bring ambush tactics to the masses, and skirmishing and distractions from other daily worries and power to the little people and an agility ability to strive for and a specific language and a minion to safely handle during your first few levels and of course a shade of green not ever before or indeed again discovered: Goblin Green." Gucci took a breath. Hopefully he'd done enough to maintain both the reputation and the life of his race. "And of course I make exceedingly good leathers."

The future of the entire race hung in the balance............................

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
"I think the magic is coming back," said Sister Jericho. "Only, it's not the same." As she said this, the two goblins started to recover their colour but at the same time they became less real. "Everybody," she cried in alarm, "We have to believe very hard in goblins!" and she got out some pieces of paper and wrote Goblins exist on them very firmly in green ink.

"That might help these two here, but what about all the others?" Ronni exclaimed as the implications sank in. "And Penelope!" Cholmondley followed, before running again to the water: "PENELOPE! BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!"

Knife, not usually much for thinking, thought this over. "Wa-ait a minute", she slowly said. "It's not them who's imaginary - it's us! They're not vanishing - we are!"

"No...no, we're not" said Jericho, who had herself been thinking - only she was better at it and had the not-so-small advantage of divine inspiration to help out. "Not unless we want to. You see, something's happened - I'm not sure quite how (and probably don't want to know) - that's created a temporary bridge between our universe and some non-magical place that we somehow just visited for a moment. If we don't cross the bridge, we'll all be fine once it disappears."

Foghorn looked around, up, down, under the barge. He was confused. "Bridge? I don't see no stinkin' bridge."

"Actually, Foghorn, we can see it...it just doesn't look like a bridge usually does. See those little boats out there, coming toward the shore? Those are the bridge - and if we just let them land, take on whatever they're going to take on, and sail away I think they'll take all this magic contamination with them. But we have to stay here, and not get on; and anything that can't live without magic also has to stay here..."

"PENELOPE! STAY PUT, DON'T MOVE, AND ABOVE ALL DON'T SINK ANY BOATS!!!" thundered Cholmondley, completely drowning out Jericho's next few words.

"...can plane-shift us out of here and get us home." on which several people spoke at once:

Keyes: "Good! Then I can steal my palfrey back!"
Knife: "Excellent. I think I need training. And then there's a tax collector I need to kill."
Foghorn: "I'd like to get our tavern back - I've always wanted a home base. Nevery really had one before."
Gucci: "As long as zis means I'll stop zis fading een and out like ze bad illusion, you 'ave my suppor'."
Ronni: "Cool! I've got some treasure to sell!"

And a moment later Cholmondley, always slow on the uptake, chimed in with one quiet, heartfelt word:

"Harrington."

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=6801229]rgoodbb[/MENTION] - I cross-posted with you but I think we've somehow managed not to contradict anything - by sheer luck Pur-Ging was the one character I forgot, so her chat with Gucci happens side-along with what I've just done...cool?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
[MENTION=6801229]rgoodbb[/MENTION] - I cross-posted with you but I think we've somehow managed not to contradict anything - by sheer luck Pur-Ging was the one character I forgot, so her chat with Gucci happens side-along with what I've just done...cool?

Cool!

BoldItalic

First Post
The carp arks bobbed to the shore, grew legs and crawled away towards Seat'tle like so many giant lizards. Part way there, they evolved wings and flew onwards, breathing out cones of flame like dragons. But as they swooped over the city, they popped out of existence because the citizens of Seattle didn't believe in them.

That was the sign for the goddess Athena to speak unto Sister Jericho: "Time for you all to leave, dear. You don't belong in this world," and she granted unto her a Wish that she might use to return the party to their home plane. "Don't worry about Penelope, dear, she can come with me."

And so it was, that they bade a fond farewell to the Kraken and gathered around Sister Jericho as she uttered the Wish.
Scrplop!

The sun was shining over the Druid's Head and in the field nearby, Harrington and the white palfrey looked up suddenly and neighed. "Do you mind," grumbled Barnaby, "I'm trying to get some sleep here."

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
"There they are!" cried a voice from near the tavern. "On the road! Get 'em!"

And the red-clad guards near the road were quickly joined by other red-clad guards dashing in from all directions (including the tavern, and the dashing by those coming from within it wasn't always entirely in a straight line); and the party were quickly surrounded by a phalanx of pikes, swords, and other sharp-ended instruments all pointed directly at them (though a few wavered a bit) and held by people whose expressions wordlessly said two things at once:

"You're in a heap o' trouble."
"You could kick my ass without even trying, I'm sure glad I've got lots of buddies with me!"

"You're under arrest", an authoritative guard sergeant said authoritatively, "for tax evasion. Sieze them!". Meahwhile, out from the tavern sauntered none other than the evil Char-Ging, with a smile on her face resplendent in both its satisfaction and its greed......

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Somewhere above, the great Dee-Em started the battle music

Char-Ging had already readied her action. She had waited a long time for this. She was soooo ready.

She deftly hopped onto one of the guard's heads and used a few more to run towards her quarry. Taking a giant leap off the last guard (whose name was Geoff), she flicked her ominous fan in a slicing motion.

Chain Lightning arced down at all of the recently returned, did them a tonne of damage and dropped them prone, Including the unfortunate Geoff, who was a part time biscuit maker.........

BoldItalic

First Post
... all except Sister Jericho who was still wearing her Ring of Invincibilty. She equipped Rebound. Then, ignoring the pikes and swords she walked calmly up to Char-Ging and punched her on the nose. It was a good punch, not at all lady-like, and not at all the kind of move you would have expected from Sister Jericho but the Wish has taken a lot out of her and she was in no mood to be trifled with.

Char-Ging reacted instantly with a Shield spell, which was a natural choice but somewhat unfortunate under the circumstances. It rebounded off Rebound multiple times at the speed of light causing a magic surge that wasn't just wild, it was positively livid with rage. A fireball erupted between them which not only set fire to Char-Ging's broad-brimmed hat, it set fire to the red tunics of a good many of the guards nearby. The guards said some very unguardly things as they beat out the flames.

Meanwhile, the Duke of The West Marches, hand on the hilt of his sword Incalcular, gave a speech. He called on the guards to remember when tax-collectors had visited their villages, and there were a few long faces and mutterings in the ranks at that. He drew attention to the fact that they hadn't been paid for the last three years and announced that the guards at his castle would be paid fourpence every Thursday without fail and recruiting was now open. There were a few nods of agreement at that. He called upon them to Remember The Alamo! and there was a great cheer, although they had no idea what an alamo was but it sounded heroic. He had them in the palm of his hand and they knew it. Sensing the mood of his troops, the guard captain sergeant ordered his men to stand down.

Meanwhile, a trio of quartermasters had been moving quietly through the ranks checking all the swords for polish fatigue, withdrawing from service any that were found to be affected and issuing requisitions to be taken to the stores where new swords would be issued to replace them. Polish fatigue was surprisingly prevalent and so many requisitions were handed out that Ronni has to forge three more books of them ...

Meanwhile, in the distant trees, the pack of goblins ...

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Char-Ging's day had gone from dull to excellent to completely awful all in the space of a minute:

Dull, as one could only sit around in a rural tavern for so long and not get bored.
Then excellent, as the fugitives who had fled this place a few days ago did exactly what she knew they would, and returned right into her trap.
Then completely awful, as not only were her guards co-opted by the fugitives (and when did he become Duke, she wondered, and what happened to the old one?) but her prized hat - a hat the mere sight of which instilled fear into any law-abiding resident of the realm but had no effect at all on tax avoiders - was burnt to a crisp.

And then even worse, as she saw her good-for-nothing brother Pur-Ging skulking among the criminals. With no choice available but surrender she stepped back and put up her hands, but she didn't stop talking...

"Pur! I should have known you'd come to a bad end, running with criminals and never doing an honest day's work! Our mother would be ashamed of you if she saw you now, and that's saying something because that woman had no shame at all! Our father would be humiliated - he'd never show his face in public again! You're a disgrace, Pur; and you're no brother of mine!". At this point she realized her hands were now tied together above her head - while Char-Ging was busy yelling, Keyes had been busy tying - and the prisoner now descended into incoherent screaming.

Keyes had also done some looting; and a few of the party's lost possessions found their way back to some happy owners while Char-Ging's impressive fan found its way to Jericho for safekeeping.

Duke Cholmondley stepped up to Char-Ging, after her shrieking had subsided to occasional sobs: "Madam, let me assure you: the only disgrace surrounding Pur-Ging is that he has to have you for a sister. While you have been sitting here taking your ease in our tavern - after using dishonour, deceit and trickery to remove us from it, let me add - he along with all of us has faced incredible dangers, has been of the greatest assistance to us all, and has shown exemplary bravery and initiative throughout. As a result, Madam, he has my commendation. Further, he has a position in my realm should he ever want for such. As for you, your tax collecting days are over."

Cholmondley looked to be finished, but then something else occurred to him. "Also, with the experience he gained during our recent adventures I think by level he now outranks you. I believe that holds some meaning to you, hmm?" With this Char-Ging's last resistance disappeared and she slumped to the ground.

Try as he might, the stoic Pur-Ging just could not stop a small smile of satisfaction from taking up residence on his face and staying firmly put there.

"This one might make half a decent Duke yet", Jericho quietly observed to no-one in particular........

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
Char-Ging was dragged away, bound and gagged, and put on trial on a great many charges. It didn't help her case that the judge's wife was Cholmondeley's aunt Lettice and words had very pointedly not been spoken across the breakfast table that morning. Not that that affected his impartiality of course. It was a fair trial and the judge made sure there was an opportunity for anyone present to speak up in Char-Ging's defence. The number who came forward hovered around zero for a few seconds before going slightly negative. After that, there was no doubt as to the verdict. "For the late payment of speeding fines," the judge intoned, "you are sentenced to be hanged at dawn. Let this be an example to others."

In her condemned cell, Char-Ging found a rusty nail and scratched a last message on the wall.

I'll be back ...

Remove ads