Bending the wall of fire

pukunui

Legend
Circle or straight line appear to be the only RAW options.

Something that's not entirely clear to me is whether only the length / radius are adjustable, or whether the height and width are as well. That is, does the wall always have to be 20' high and 1' thick, or can it be shorter and thinner than that?

I've been playing it that you can only adjust the length / radius, but I've never been entirely sure if that's the right way to play it.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ya, I say the "up to" so that gives some flexibility.

I can see it either way, but allowing a lot of bending could really be abused.

pukunui

Legend
Ya, I say the "up to" so that gives some flexibility.
It's not clear to me if the "up to" only applies to the length / radius, or if it's meant to apply to the height and width as well. If the latter, it would've been more clear if they'd repeated the "up to". As written, it can be interpreted that the wall must be:

a) 0-60 feet long / 0-20 foot radius
b) 20 feet high
c) 1 foot thick

But I wonder if it should be:

a) 0-60 feet long / 0-20 foot radius
b) 0-20 feet high
c) 0-1 foot thick

... but allowing a lot of bending could really be abused.
Exactly. That's why I wouldn't allow wiggly walls. It's either a straight line or a circle.

1", no thinner, or it doesn't do damage. Sure you could scale it, but just a PITA. As for line/circle only? Nope, I allow my players to curve or arc it etc. as long as the total length is the same.

Hussar

Legend
Huh. It never occurred to us that walls couldn’t turn corners.

Why not? If I want to drop, say, a “c” shaped wall, what’s the reason I can’t?

Out of curiosity, why would you ever want the wall to be thinner? Shorter I can understand, especially indoors, but why thinner?
Because if you argue the spell makes a fixed volume of firewall, then making it thinner means you can make it longer, or higher, etc. So, if the wall is just as effective if it is 1/10": thick, then you just made the 'area' (length and height) of the wall 10 times more.

Remove ads