The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

CapnZapp

Legend
It was too long for the simple and well worn story.

I actually longed for more McFarland jokes.

At least they're making a trend of hooking up the doctor with a strange lifeform each season

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Not one of their strongest episodes, which means the guy at Nerdrotic loved it. I liked getting to see Isaac sans robot costume. Also I want to say I called it in an earlier post. Dr. Finn was falling for him and they would hook up.

CapnZapp

Legend
Minor observations:

They could make more of a deal of how Lamarr dates one hot young white chick after the other.

I can't make sense of having the Yaphit character. Not in this episode; the call back to the Doctor's previous escapades was nice, but in general. Having such an absurd creature - and then using it so very little, I mean.

Kelly is somewhat of a disappointing character this season. She comes across much too much as the boring responsible TV mom. She's boringly competent with a wet blanket of a boyfriend.

Come on, Orville - you're wasting Adrianne Palicki!
When she was cast, I hoped to see more of her wild side. More like how Lois of Family Guy has one. Season one delivered at least a little, but not season two so far.

Halston Sage's replacement hasn't even got a chance yet. Very strange, almost as if Sage left with no warning and they decided to just hire another actress to just stand around. I can't think of a single reason why they had to have a Xelayan onboard this season. (The Alara farewell episode doesn't count, since that was obviously inserted to explain her absence) I saw Halston Sage on Magnum PI the other week, and I miss her on the show.

This season has really doubled down on the soap opera aspects of Next Generation. Also the boring competence. Not what I expected. They really need to pick up the pace here, the show plods along as if it already knows it's getting cancelled!

That would be a huge waste, so bring on the smart, sexy action plots! More of the outrageous blue Rob Lowe. More of anti-Picard Mercer (who immediately schlobs it up when captured). More Yaphit. And bring back Alara and her heavy drinking in the face of danger!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And I don't know if I like Bortus better with or without a mustache?

Guess it reminds me of the Magnum PI mustache.

giphy.gif

Nutation

Explorer
CapnZapp;7557612Halston Sage's replacement hasn't even got a chance yet. Very strange said:
I agree with this. For quickly bringing in another Xelayan, they should have had an immediate reason; otherwise, there would be (and seemingly was) time to craft another character and perhaps show us another race in the Union.

Ryujin

Legend
I agree with this. For quickly bringing in another Xelayan, they should have had an immediate reason; otherwise, there would be (and seemingly was) time to craft another character and perhaps show us another race in the Union.

Reason: To avoid rewrites? Story reason thrown out the window.

Remove ads