Elric rpgs

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I just get my hands in the elric's novels and since I know there are some rpgs I want to know a little more about them.
which system do these games use?
do the games worth?
do they give the same feeling as the novels?
what are your thought about those games?
what edition do you recommend?

biotech66

Explorer
I haven't heard of any specific Elric RPG, but most pulp based RPG's like Shadow, Sword & Spell or DCC RPG would fill those niches quite nicely.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Elric! was the second incarnation, which followed three editions of Stormbringer and was itself followed by editions 4 and 5 of Stormbringer. All these games are based on Chaosium's Basic Role Play system originally developed as Runquest and adapted as Call of Cthulhu. Corum and Hawkmoon as two other incarantion of Moorcock's eternal Hero had their own versions as well.

All games are skill-based, using d% vs. skill value for task resolution. Experience points don't exist - you can try to increase any skill you successfully used during an adventure. Armour reduces damage, spells are subsumed under a few skills. Stormbringer/Elric! sported subsystems for calling and binding demons into items.

The game system works quite well, but, being from the seventies, it shows its age: no fancy maneuvers, nearly no way to optimise a character, no fancy players-take-over-the-story stuff. Where The One Ring takes pains to facilitate adventures feeling close to Tolkien's stories, Elric! places this task squarely on the shoulders of gamemaster and players.

The original game “Stormbringer” was released in 1981 (just before Call of Cthulhu), and was written mainly by Ken St Andre (of Tunnels and Trolls fame). Interestingly, Stormbringer was seen as the major release of the two at the time, but has since been eclipsed by the success of Call of Cthulhu. The setting was based on the original novel of the same name by Michael Moorecock, a celebrated fantasy writer, but encompassed all of his writings based upon the Elric character that had been written since the 60s. It also was part of an ‘Eternal Champion’ and ‘Multiverse’ mythos (both terms coined by Moorecock) and, as such, could have seen the line expand to other settings. This was only partially done, notably with a Hawkmoon spinoff game and intentions for others. Storm bringer was notable for having very dark, adult themes and a general tone of psychedelia, tragedy and fate. Characters could make pacts with demons for powers and become very powerful, at a price. It is a pretty good source for the origin of the Warlock class in D&D.

Storm bringer went through 4 editions, and altered the rules accordingly before a more wholesale revision came in 1993, when a new game was released under the title ‘Elric!’. The idea was to generally clean up the mechanics (which were very randomised and loose in parts) while also assuming that the title change would give greater recognition to fantasy fans. Later, a revised set of the same rules, but with a much improved layout, was released under the title ’Stormbinger 5th Edition’. This edition, in my view, is the best edition released for the game and the one I would always recommend to get above all others.

In the mid 2000s, Chaosium lost the rights to Stormbringer, mainly because of a falling out with Moorecock apparently, but the license was snatched up by Mongoose to coincide with their new version of RuneQuest. A new game - Elric of Melnibone - was released as a standalone game, but based on the Mongoose RuneQuest rules. It had some good qualities, being written by Lawrence Whittaker in the main (of RuneQuest 6 notoriety), but the layout was a bit murky and production standards a little variable. A second edition of this game was released in line with Mongoose’s RuneQuest II, but this one was not standalone and only ran for a short time before the RQII line as a whole was dropped. It could potentially have continued under the new ‘Legend’ moniker, but it appeared that profits were not good enough to continue. Whilst these editions had some problems, as mentioned, they did include some excellent writings.

As it stands there are no current editions of the game, although you can still get hold of them through Amazon. Nobody has indicated they want to make a new edition - although if your interested in the Moorecockian ‘multiverse’ aspect, The Design Mechanism are set to release a RuneQuest 6 setting book for Luther Arkwright, which carries a lot of similar themes. Likewise, if you are interested in the rules then they are all reproduced Chaosium’s ‘Magic World’ and ‘Advanced Sorcery’ books, just with the references to the literature edited out.

Last edited:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Much good information deleted ...

Wow, there seems to be much more to this than I knew. :.-( Thanks for the information, [MENTION=27252]TrippyHippy[/MENTION]!

Also, I dimly recall there being one or two books on the eternal hero from Chaosium during the early wave of D20 stuff back in 2000/2001.

Yep, Chaosium also released Dragon Lords of Melnibone for d20 in the very early wave of 3E. It wasn’t, ah, very good.

There is a very good Youtube video review of the various editions of Stormbringer by Runeslinger here. Also recommended.

Quartz

Hero
I have a copy of Games Workshop's 1987 print of Stormbringer with the Stormbringer Companion to hand. The authoring credits go to Steve Perrin and Ken St Andre.

Unfortunately the game system itself is an exercise in power-gaming. If you thought AD&D or 3E D&D was bad for letting wizards overshadow fighters, you ain't seen nothin'!

Probably the best way of using it is to pick your favourite game system and use the background.

You’ll note that the point about unbalanced power-gaming is largely addressed in later editions. In earlier editions, character generation was so randomised you could actually end up with a party consisting of a crippled beggar in the same party as a mega-powerful Melnibonean sorcerer, and you were expected to just get on with it. From Elric! onwards, especially, this factor is greatly reduced.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
thanks you all. you are like Google but with feelings and jobs.
I working right now. I'll check the video at home and will search for stormbringer 5th to take a look.
again, thanks you all.

Remove ads