Elric rpgs

MasterTrancer

Explorer
I last played Stormbringer in the mid-90s: fun, especially since coming from CoC where PCs where very weak. In Stormbringer you could reach very high peaks of power. The feeling was different from the novels though, at least for what I can remember: while dark-themed, your protagonist was not so doomed as the actual Elric, and the world felt "different". IIRC it was set some time before the Moorcock novels, so Melnibone was still strong, while not at its peak, Pan Tang was rising and...well, can't remember much since I was mostly interested in that defining empires.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Is there a good 3.X compatible home brew game for the setting?

Not that I know of, but I wanted to jump in an warn you against the published d20 version - Dragonlords of Melnibone, IIRC - which was pretty horrible.

The second Mongoose version, also based on BRP, wasn't too bad. Really, though, if you want information about Elric RPGs I would point you towards forum.rpg.net. There are quite a few fans there plus some good reviews of various related RPG products.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I have several of these:
I think the setting only really appealed to Moorcock fans, but I ran a gam of it probably 10 years ago that people still talk about ( not due to my super Gm skills, but because they were unfamiliar with the setting and really liked it once they were in).
The 2 main games are either Sttormbringer or Elric!

I've got the original Stormbringer and in that one, you end up summoning demons a lot to help you/ binding them into object, hence the magic in the world is very powerful, and (IMHO) you are dumb NOT to have bound Demon items ( armor, weapons, a servant, etc.). There were also more "modules" for Stormbringer through the various editions.

As For Elric!, the magic system worked differently. Meeting a low prerequisite, any character/class could use magic, but the magic was focused around them...so a Merchant would have magic that helps them identify and appraise, a Sailor had magic that helped related to voyages on the sea, etc. None of the magic was extremely powerful and I thought this added quite a bit to the game.

Both systems use Chaosiums BRP ( the percentile dice for skill check, combat, etc.). I like the system.

So what I do is I use Elric! as the basic rule set and to make characters, but take modules/adventures from Stormbringer.

~Desh

Remove ads