D&D 5E At my table: Hexblade removed, Pact of the Blade enhanced

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
"Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows."
RAW is RAW. If you wanna make it different, its your call, but RAWly the target is Charmed. That's it.

No edition of D&D since maybe 1st or 2nd edition has made it a point to state that RAW is not the end all be all as 5th edition has. Go ahead and look at the Sage Advice Compendium, and right there in front they discuss RAI and RAF right alongside RAW. Also, this is D&D. It's not a video game. If you want hard mechanics, go play a video game. I guarantee there's not a single table in the entire world that adheres strictly to RAW, especially when it

1) Doesn't make sense and

2) Subtracts from the fun.

But focus on this misses a bigger point. The 3 original PHB Patrons are all fairly balanced against one another. [MENTION=6854936]Sorcerers Apprentice[/MENTION] You can throw up as many smokescreens as you want. I'm done trying to engage in discussion with you, as it is clear you prefer to troll and avoid providing any evidence to further your argument. Instead you belittle and act in condescension to those who disagree with you, and focus on small and irrelevant details in an attempt to derail the discussion.

Also this is getting way off-topic from the original point. And so to bring things back, the Hexblade as written seems to me to be very problematic as it is broken in comparison to what every other Patron offers.

ZickZak

Explorer
I guarantee there's not a single table in the entire world that adheres strictly to RAW, especially when it

1) Doesn't make sense and

2) Subtracts from the fun.
We do, so you cant guarantee it ;) We play in LotR-ish world and the best example is when Théoden is controlled by Saruman. You could have Charm Person do exactly the same, because "fun". Alter Self could turn you into shark or falcon, because "fun". As I said: you wanna make changes to rules? Fine, just do it at you table :)

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
We do, so you cant guarantee it ;) We play in LotR-ish world and the best example is when Théoden is controlled by Saruman. You could have Charm Person do exactly the same, because "fun". Alter Self could turn you into shark or falcon, because "fun". As I said: you wanna make changes to rules? Fine, just do it at you table :)

Shamefully, I have not seen or read LotR, so the reference is lost on me. But part of my point is that by the very language of the ability and the name given by the designer's, there is a clear intent as to how it was meant to be used (to create a slave). And given that the ability replicates something that a first level character can do proficiently, why would this be given at level 14 and not as level 1 or 6? This tells me that this is a situation where RAI and RAF supersede RAW. And I think the argument for this is solid. But of course YMMV and all that.

Remove ads