What is *worldbuilding* for?

So I’m OK with your point about Story Now, that’s the intent and design of the game.

I disagree with your assessment regarding player agency in something like B2. The players have complete agency over the decisions and actions of their characters, in other words, the advocacy that Eero talks about.
I look at it this way: What Eero is talking about is an idealization and generalization. He doesn't talk about agency at all, and it isn't addressed, so you cannot use the essay [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] pointed at to support your point, it just EXPLICITLY does not do so.

To elaborate: Eero talks about games with a variety of possible agendas and sources of agenda. So if we were to analyze B2 in his terms, what we would conclude is that its source of agenda is the authors of the module. If it is addressing a player agenda it is because the players understood the nature of the material and agreed that it suited their needs. In other words, any player agency over the fiction was PURELY exercised before the fact, not during play.

During play the game system (Holmes Basic originally) doesn't provide for any explicit control of the agenda by the players. My copy disintegrated long ago and the text isn't available online, so I can't confirm EXACTLY what Holmes stated about the process of play, but it is pretty much in line with OD&D and Moldvay B/X in general tenor. Nowhere does it talk about agenda, the GM's job, at the table, is to adjudicate the action. The game contemplates, basically, a dungeon delve, and B2 follows that model, adding only a fairly minor side-element of RPing interactions with the Keep inhabitants and locating the Caves of Chaos, which are well under an hour's walk away.

Now, Basic D&D is a fairly 'open ended' system, the PCs are assumed to be relatively capable and able to execute most tasks which the players can envisage and describe, perhaps modulated to some extent by ability scores. Nothing within the text suggests that players have agency over the fiction, only that they have control of their characters actions (though there are various rules which can penalize or reward certain types of actions based on alignment, XP awards for 'in character' RP, etc.).

In an RPG, the PCs can do anything that their character can reasonably do. That includes building a wall if that’s what you want to do.

Ultimately my point remains that even if the GM has control of the world it does not mean the players don’t have agency in the fiction. Just not that part of it.
They don't have agency with respect to the content of the fiction! Whatever you call it, call it 'foobarium' I don't really care, the players DON'T HAVE IT in this type of play!!!!!! How can you still deny this?

To look at it from a different way, in the same B2 scenario, the GM has no agency over the decisions or actions of the PCs. Which is required for the fiction to occur. Otherwise he’s just reading a book without a plot.
Yes, he does. He has absolute authority to declare any action the PCs attempt to be impossible, to require any sort of resource expenditure, to have any sort of results or consequences which he feels like decreeing. His authority over the PCs is thus EFFECTIVELY almost absolute. He can't literally tell the player that his character just stabbed himself in the eye (well, actually TECHNICALLY even this doesn't appear to violate the letter of the rules of classic D&D).

So it is literally impossible for the GM to have all of the agency in that case. It is a shared fiction with a different division of responsibility, that’s all.
See above: Any agency which the players are granted, and even agency which the CHARACTERS have in a theory of 'character agency' (which is what you're talking about) requires that the GM concur and allow the player to act. At best the player can direct his character to do things which game, genre, and table conventions normally delineate as being within his purview. Nothing is guaranteed, and I've played in any number of games where the GM suddenly asserted his authority and denied me the ability to do something which I considered perfectly reasonable and well within what I expected was my part of the game.

Now, I don't expect that in ANY game there will never be grey areas or differences of opinion about who gets to decide what, or exactly where the edges are of different areas of responsibility in the game. Still, players in 'classic' D&D can have NO absolute expectation of ANY authority at all. This is totally different from Story Now, where players are in charge of the whole agenda and thus directly influence and shape all the content.

Notice, this is a superset of what Eero was talking about. He's only talking about the PROCESS of Story Now, that a GM frames a scene according to an agenda, the players commit some stakes to resolving the scene, and the consequences of their success/failure produce dividends/costs and then form the input into the next scene frame.

You CAN play this type of game using the B/X rule set. Some of it will be incoherent to the model of play (wandering monsters for example wouldn't make a lot of sense in a Story Now kind of format, though the GM might utilize that mechanism as a form of content generation or something). Still, you could follow a player agenda, utilize ability checks to regulate player input to the fiction, utilize a 'no myth' scene framing concept for setting elements, etc. I expect that there will be SOME issues with specific spell mechanics, maybe certain class features, etc. but its not impossible to make it work. Its NOT the same as, and produces a very different relationship to the fiction, than classic play in something like B2.

I don’t have an issue with the GM facilitating things. However, for the players and the GM to have agency, it’s not required either.

Not being able to say no is taking away the GM’s agency. So you’re saying there can be no empty rooms? No failure to find a secret door? What “no” is forbidden, and what does it have to do with agency.

If the PC goes to the market square to purchase a holy sword, and there is no holy sword, how is that impacting their agency?

If they are attempting to infiltrate the castle, and there is no secret door, how is that impacting their agency?

In all realistic RPG play there are genre conventions and other restraints on the players ability to shape the fiction. Lets imagine a player has invented a character who's agenda is to become the mightiest paladin in history and wield a legendary holy sword. Is he going to find it at the market? No, this would certainly not be in keeping with the genre conventions of a sort of Medieval Knight's Tale sort of fiction, now would it?

So, what is the player going to encounter? He might go to the market square, with his agenda, but he's much more likely to encounter a young man of apparently humble birth but noble aspect, and end up with a squire! Later the squire might play some key role in the acquisition of said holy sword, in a scene far along later in the story. I guess another possibility is that the sword DOES appear at some early point in the narrative, but the character is rejected as not fit, or it remains 'buried in the stone' or something, requiring further adventures to fully attain.

This is all dictated by conventions and the dramatic needs of emergent story, and the realistic factors of running an RPG which is expected to be ongoing over a number of episodes. Perhaps the entirety of the 'holy sword' gets resolved in episode 1, the character is shown his faults (he makes a morally questionable choice in an attempt to get the sword for instance) and the player changes the agenda to something else, like "attain purity of spirit at any cost" or whatever. I mean lots of things can happen.

I'd just like to note that something like B2 (and ongoing campaign activity resulting from it or something like it) doesn't really support this sort of thing. The PCs are constantly immersed in a GM generated milieu. No element of play supports the idea of a player stating "I want to wield the legendary holy sword of Magilla!" It isn't up to the player to invent such a thing, he's got little expectation that any of the narrative arising out of his interactions with the setting will lead to this agenda being fulfilled, etc.

Nobody doubts, either, that great GMs the world over often built their techniques around recognizing these kinds of player agendas and incorporating them into their games. Certainly even early D&D had certain pre-recognized agendas, creating a keep, temple, or thieves guild for example. Often creative GMs incorporated a wider variety of these sorts of things, though in many cases they got caught up in doing it in ways that weren't very much like Story Now. In any case, TO THE EXTENT THAT THEY DID SO, they moved in the direction of direct player agenda over the fiction. They HAD TO! That is the way you address, the only pathway, that leads to the player's agenda becoming the focus of play.

Even the GM given the players leeway in his adjudications to build a wall across a cave in B2 is a tiny step in that direction, the first step on that road, but it is VASTLY different from the full up real deal. You can say "there is no difference in agency" but AGAIN, this relies on a definition of agency which does no work and has no real value because it is failing to acknowledge the very real distinctions between the two types of game.

For added simplicity let's assume the PC is already in the market square, and declares this action: "I check with such merchants as might be expected to sell such things to determine if there's a holy sword for sale. If there is, I buy it." In story now, as far as I can tell a success on the die roll means the PC walks out with a holy sword (and, one assumes, a lighter wallet). The only recourse the DM has if she thinks a holy sword is overkill for that party or PC in terms of game or character balance is to set an unachievably high DC on finding one - but that's just using more words and dice to say 'no', which ain't allowed.

I think this is addressed in my previous post, somewhat, but you won't have seen that yet...

There are more considerations than the player's desire to instantly achieve his fondest wishes. First of all, if all the players are interested in doing is achieving everything they want at the snap of their fingers, then why not run that game for them? I predict that they'll outgrow that mode of play in approximately 1 session, but who knows? If you really hate running the resulting game and the players insist on continuing it then clearly they need a new GM...

So, the above 'table considerations' being dealt with; we have that there are genre conventions and dramatic pacing and similar concerns which militate against the instant fulfillment of the player's ultimate goals. There are a few approaches here which could be taken:

1) The DC for instant fulfillment of your desire is simply astronomical. In fact its not an unattainable DC, but it will only be attained after months of play and character advancement. The player is welcome to try to insist on making these checks constantly in every situation, but it will be fruitless and costly. Eventually he will fail entirely and his story will be about the fate of the feckless dreamer or something like that!

2) The GM can frame the scene to include something useful in the way of getting what the character wants. A strange beggar gives him a vision of a holy sword in a glowing castle somewhere.

3) Maybe he gets some lesser version of what he wants, or he discovers its not so simple. He finds the sword in the chapel adjacent to the market, but he can't touch it until he has become worthy.

4) He attains his dream, and then some terrible price immediately arises. He has to choose, keep the sword or save the town! If he chooses the sword, then he'll spend the rest of his days trying to make penance for sacrificing innocent lives, while carrying around a sword that curses him and marks him as a sinner! This one is perhaps a bit of 'dirty pool' in that the GM is sort of subverting the player's character goal, but it actually is OK because the character could just give up the sword, save the town, and then resume his quest for it. I'm pretty sure this basic plot has been used numerous times in legends and movies alike.

In the end, given reasonable GMing and players who are actually interested in playing Story Now, your concerns don't really apply. Its like condemning GM centered gaming because the GM can kill off the characters at any moment, or take away all their goodies and never let them have any fun. In neither type of game are these concerns relevant. Terrible games exist, they generally last a couple sessions and die, or get better.

So it's not railroading to expect the players to ask about uneven flagstones; but it is railroading to expect them to declare Stealth checks if they want to be sneak up on the giants?

As far as I can see, those things are exactly parallel.

Raised, chipped etc flagstone also exist in any rational world. But you don't tell your players about all of those. You wait for them to ask. Why is that not railroading, but it is railroading to expect them to ask if there are any intersections?

As far as I can see, those things are exactly parallel.

Again, it boils down to techniques of play. He's objecting on the basis of some specific 'scale' of thing that becomes 'too big to ignore' and that he then decided constitutes a 'must mention in the narrative' or else. Its a technique of play issue, not a conceptual one. Its just that he's confusing the two things.

In Story Now, if something is relevant to the characters, it is because it was framed into a scene, so there can be none of these questions of 'scale', its a non argument. The question of the surprise of the party in your example above is only slightly different. As you point out, in both your game and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s game the onus is on the players to anticipate the possibility of patrols and surprise and then designate their precautions. It might behoove you as a GM to provide a convenient 'front porch' to this kind of scene where the characters can do this (IE indicate that they are approaching the giant lair 'the air grows noticeably warmer and your eyes water slightly from a thin smoky haze, you must be approaching the lava caves of the giants!'). If the characters now wish to be stealthy the players are getting an explicit opening to use to explain any tactics they wish to employ. Alternatively you could simply have them declare these 'moves' ahead of time.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Again, it boils down to techniques of play. He's objecting on the basis of some specific 'scale' of thing that becomes 'too big to ignore' and that he then decided constitutes a 'must mention in the narrative' or else. Its a technique of play issue, not a conceptual one. Its just that he's confusing the two things.

In Story Now, if something is relevant to the characters, it is because it was framed into a scene, so there can be none of these questions of 'scale', its a non argument. The question of the surprise of the party in your example above is only slightly different. As you point out, in both your game and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s game the onus is on the players to anticipate the possibility of patrols and surprise and then designate their precautions. It might behoove you as a GM to provide a convenient 'front porch' to this kind of scene where the characters can do this (IE indicate that they are approaching the giant lair 'the air grows noticeably warmer and your eyes water slightly from a thin smoky haze, you must be approaching the lava caves of the giants!'). If the characters now wish to be stealthy the players are getting an explicit opening to use to explain any tactics they wish to employ. Alternatively you could simply have them declare these 'moves' ahead of time.
Maybe call this step "pre-framing"?

I see it as somewhat essential in terms of providing player/PC choice in how (or if!) they approach a given situation.

Here, for example, the party on hearing that pre-frame might back off a hundred yards and cast a bunch of fire-protection spells before advancing further; or send an invisible scout ahead to check for the presence and-or deployment of any foes while the noisies stay put; or take steps to mitigate the smoke's effect on thier breathing, etc. If they're just plopped into the room and the giants see them right away, bang go those options.

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Have you ever played, or even read the rules for, the games he mentions? (Sorcerer, DitV, HeroQuest, etc.)
No, and it's irrelevant whether or not I have done so when analyzing Eero's text for what it says and implies.

Lan-"and by the way what is it that makes Eero any more of an expert on this stuff than the rest of us?"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I assert that a GM-driven game, which relies heavily on the GM to either establish setting in advance and indepndently of the players, or permits the GM to establish setting more-or-less at will in the course of play (including unrevealed setting that permits saying "no"), puts very significant constraints around player agency in respect of the shared fiction. Examples you have given include the finding of an item in a market, or a secret door in a castle. Another that was discussed at length upthread was finding a map hidden in a study.

You may not care about these constraints. You may not even be interested in talking about them. As [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] has already posted, that doesn't mean they're not there.
If neither I nor the players acknowledge their existence then yes, they might as well not be there.

You may even assert that your game offers some different form of player agency. All I've really grasped about that is that players are able to declare actioins for their PCs - which personally I would regard as a basic property of any RPG, and so a baseline for what players do in the game rather than some alternative mode of agency.
It's not an "alternative mode of agency", it is their agency.

If a player writes a Belief for his PC "I will find an item that will help me confront my balrog-possessed brother before I leave Hardby", then I know what that PC's dramatic need is: an opportunity to acquire said item.
At some point. Nothing says it has to happen right away, just that at some point it has to happen, or at least try to.

From a DM-driven standpoint this could be achieved by sending the party into B2 and simply adding an item into the cultists' treasure that gives protection from demons. (thus when the confrontation later occurs the balrog's powers are migitated or blocked, though the possessed brother can still beat him up conventionally)

If a player writes down, in his PC backstory, "I travel the galaxy, with the support of the Travellers' Aid Society, searching for signs of alien life and civilisation", then I know what that PC's dramatic need is: an opportunity to confront alien life or culture.
As this is a nigh-inevitable outcome of any spacefaring game, no problem meeting that goal in any game system. :)

This is also obviously wrong. I have played RPG sessions (on occasion) in which all events are dictated by the GM. The players can declare actions for their PCs, but either (i) the GM ignores the outcome of the resolution mechanics (sometimes called "fudging"), or (ii) the GM manipulates the backstory to introduce elements into the fiction that render the outcome of the resolution mechanics (so eg the PCs defeat opponent X, but the GM brings a new opponent Y into the situation who plays exactly the same role).
Situationally dependent, but on the face of it this might just be an example of bad DMing.

In a RPG like I describe the players have no meaningful agency. l mean, they can speak in funny voices and choose whether their PCs use scimitars or longswords, but they don't actually have any impact on the salient content of the fiction.

Again, this is obviously wrong: if the GM has extensive power to establish the fiction, and the players have little such power, then obviously the players lack significant agency over the content of the shared fiction.

They are (self-evidently) limits on the capacity of the players to shape the content of the shared fiction.

That is not what we are talking about. If I agree to play that game, then the presence of those ficitonal constraints is an expression of my agency.

But if I delcare actions to try and survive in the camp, or escape from it, and the GM establishes or manipulated unrevealed backstory so that those actions cannot succeed, that obviously is a limit upon player agency.

A player agreeing to play in a fantasy RPG is exercising agency.

If, subsequently, that player declares that his/her PC searches for a secret door in a wall and the GM, by reading some pre-authored material, declares the search a failure - that is clearly a case of the player lacking agency over the content of the shared fiction.

It may be irrelevant to you.
Yep. This to me is the "alternative form of agency", and even in a DM-driven game can sometimes have a function - usually when dealing with off-screen details the DM doesn't want to bother with such as determining each inhabitant of the PC's home village. But that type of agency is not a part of the normal run of play, and thus is meaningless in that context.

Here's one way that B2 restricts player agency: if a player declares "I want to meet an alchemist in the keep" then, as the module is written, that action will fail.
That doesn't restrict their agency at all! They declared an attempted action (thus exercising their agency) and were told that action failed.

Which also shows that the characters can't do whatever they like. They can do whatever the established fiction of the keep might permit them to do.
Yep. Just like reality, in that regard - if I go to the mall and look for a hardware store, no matter what I do if the mall doesn't have a hardware store I ain't gonna find one there.

Side note: thanks to [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION] for saving me loads of typing these last few days. :)

Lanefan

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There are more considerations than the player's desire to instantly achieve his fondest wishes. First of all, if all the players are interested in doing is achieving everything they want at the snap of their fingers, then why not run that game for them? I predict that they'll outgrow that mode of play in approximately 1 session, but who knows? If you really hate running the resulting game and the players insist on continuing it then clearly they need a new GM...
It says a lot that you'd frame it that way - that the players need a new GM rather than I-as-GM need new players, which is equally the case. Couple that with the fact that if I really dislike running what I'm running I can arbitrarily shut it down (and have, in the past) and it kind of implies a very player-centric view; that the players need for a new GM outweighs my need for new players. Interesting.

So, the above 'table considerations' being dealt with; we have that there are genre conventions and dramatic pacing and similar concerns which militate against the instant fulfillment of the player's ultimate goals. There are a few approaches here which could be taken:

1) The DC for instant fulfillment of your desire is simply astronomical. In fact its not an unattainable DC, but it will only be attained after months of play and character advancement. The player is welcome to try to insist on making these checks constantly in every situation, but it will be fruitless and costly. Eventually he will fail entirely and his story will be about the fate of the feckless dreamer or something like that!

2) The GM can frame the scene to include something useful in the way of getting what the character wants. A strange beggar gives him a vision of a holy sword in a glowing castle somewhere.

3) Maybe he gets some lesser version of what he wants, or he discovers its not so simple. He finds the sword in the chapel adjacent to the market, but he can't touch it until he has become worthy.

4) He attains his dream, and then some terrible price immediately arises. He has to choose, keep the sword or save the town! If he chooses the sword, then he'll spend the rest of his days trying to make penance for sacrificing innocent lives, while carrying around a sword that curses him and marks him as a sinner! This one is perhaps a bit of 'dirty pool' in that the GM is sort of subverting the player's character goal, but it actually is OK because the character could just give up the sword, save the town, and then resume his quest for it. I'm pretty sure this basic plot has been used numerous times in legends and movies alike.
If the holy sword is the end goal they yes, this all applies.

But if the holy sword is but a stepping stone to the PC's real goal of eventually defeating Orcus in single combat, then what I posit could still be true: simple success on an action declaration could put a holy sword in the PC's hands. Me, I'd rather be able to flat-out say 'no' to this and instead build an adventure or two or six around the locating and recovery of such an item.

In the end, given reasonable GMing and players who are actually interested in playing Story Now, your concerns don't really apply. Its like condemning GM centered gaming because the GM can kill off the characters at any moment, or take away all their goodies and never let them have any fun. In neither type of game are these concerns relevant. Terrible games exist, they generally last a couple sessions and die, or get better.
True, but the "rocks fall, everyone dies" criticism gets bandied about all the time - might as well chuck the other extreme out there once in a while. :)

Lanefan

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I quoted you saying that "Eero's model is really no different than what most consider D&D to be" and that "This fits Eero’s model precisely: the player advocates for the character."
That's okay. I quoted you saying that you were assuming, when you told me that you weren't assuming. ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, as I've already posted, that "game/campaign as whole" is the stuff the GM has authored and cares about. (Because if the players care about it, then it is subsumed within their PCs' dramatic needs, isn't it?)

No, it's not subsumed within their characters' dramatic needs. If my wife has something important to her that she cares about, it becomes important to me and I care about it. My care doesn't strip it away from her and make it about me. D&D is no different other than the DM is the partner with the players. If I introduce something that the players come to care about, it doesn't become theirs. It becomes a partnered care, just like when I care about something they've established as a important for their character, what they established doesn't become about me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's not entirely accurate. I would already have told them about the flagstones on the floor, so I've taken care of my duty to inform them. Since I'm not rushing them from place to place, they would have every opportunity to say, "I examine the flagstones near me to see if one is raised or uneven." Since there's no way in hell that I pre-authored the individual flagstones, I'd tell them okay, fine, and set a DC so that they can find out the answer.

With the intersection, it's not a matter of scale so much as a matter of change. As I mentioned above, I would tell them if the flagstone passage turned into a smooth cave like floor. Similarly, when going down a passageway, an intersection represents a change in the environment that I would alert them to.

The problem I have is that if they don't get the "front porch" scene, then unless the players are expected to declare all manner of moves in advance about what might possibly happen, the DM is railroading the players through places by making decisions for the PCs. If they are expected to declare those moves in advance, the game becomes a giant game of chess where you have to stop the momentum of the game so that the players can strategize about every situation they might encounter and give the DM a plan. That wastes a bunch of time on things that the players won't ever encounter. Most of the possibilities won't turn out to be the true situation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases