Should I apply for the D&D 5e Community Manager position?

GreyLord

Legend
This is where I fall flat on my face -

Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in a marketing or communications discipline.
Unfortunately I don't have that.

3-7 years of experience in games community management (tabletop or video game).
I have about 5 years in total.

Corporate experience an absolute must
I worked for Target, they are a corporation, does that count?

Experience in AAA gaming brands recommended.
Moderator for Midway, they make Mortal Kombat, that is AAA.

Experience in team leadership and high level community strategy.
I used to be an Assistant Instructor for a Taekwondo school, as well as a moderator on several forums, we had to work together as a cohesive unit with the same goals in mind.

Hands-on experience in community building.
See above.

In-depth knowledge of all emerging social platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Forums, and Discord.
I grew up with the internet, this is a staple for most people 35 and younger.

Not having the Bachelor's Degree will kill my chances. And the limited corporate experience.

It will depend on who applies most likely, on whether you get an interview or not.

Look at the requirements more of a wish list.

If someone has most of the requirements, but no one has all of the requirements, chances go up of you getting an interview.

If you look better on paper than others, even if you don't meet all the requirements, chances go up of you getting an interview if you can get past the initial HR looks (if they are having HR look at it, if not, chances go up even higher).

Now, if WotC gets a ton of people that meet all the requirements and look stellar on paper...yeah...probably won't get an interview.

However, there is always the chance that they do not either. IF you meet many of the requirements, take a shot at it and see what happens. Worst that can happen is you don't hear anything more on it.

There was one job opening that had certain requirements, but only a couple people applied. Out of them, it appeared that they had only two possible individuals that could do the job. One had a Masters, the other had no degree in the area. The Masters degree individual boffed it bad in the interview. The other one had a great deal of experience and was great in the interview. The one without the degree got hired.

A Degree can be a gate, but it is not always a necessity. Depends on the number of applicants and their qualifications and how hard nosed a group is about a degree.

Eis

Explorer
The worst that can happen is that WotC is a just a front for a demonic cult, and as the latest hire you get sacrificed to Orcus in a painful ritual that opens a permanent portal between Seattle and the Abyss, dooming the world to an invasion of demons!

ooh that would be bad....now I'm on the fence about this whole thing

aco175

Legend
The only issue would be is a computer scans the resumes first and throws out all without a degree. You will never see a human even though you have all the other experience to beat those with a degree.

Iry

Hero
The worst that can happen is that WotC is a just a front for a demonic cult, and as the latest hire you get sacrificed to Orcus in a painful ritual that opens a permanent portal between Seattle and the Abyss, dooming the world to an invasion of demons!
That's Seattle on the regular. Things only started to settle down once the Hasbro layer of Baator stationed forces out there.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

"Could be worse"

"How could it possibly be worse?"

"Could be raining"

HomegrownHydra

Adventurer
I presume that in a hobby industry like RPGs any corporate job will have swarms of applicants, including from people who are ridiculously overqualified. So unless a person knows someone within the company who will vouch for them or they already have built a name for themselves in the industry, they won't even be considered.

In this particular case, being a moderator on a forum has minimal relevance to a position of Community Manager. As the requirements make clear, the position is much more demanding.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
My honest opinion is that you do not meet the basic requirements for what will be a very competitive position. If you really want the job I would focus on gaining the requirements for next time it becomes available. If you just want to work for Wizards you could look for positions that are in line with your experience and rise from within. You could also look for similar jobs with less competitive companies to get more experience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases