D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Gloom Stalker Subclass

pukunui

Legend
I swear this thread didn't exist when I made my own, but the time stamps indicate you beat me by almost half an hour, [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION]. Weird.

[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: Could you please merge my gloom stalker thread with this one?

jgsugden

Legend
I swear this thread didn't exist when I made my own, but the time stamps indicate you beat me by almost half an hour, [MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION]. Weird.

[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: Could you please merge my gloom stalker thread with this one?
Morrus has said on many occasions that it makes life easier for him if you let *him* make the thread for stuff like this... Otherwise, he has to go through hurdles to make it feed into news, etc... Be kind to Morrus and give him an hour or two to find the info. I encourage him to save himself the trouble and delete or lock these extra threads while making his own, but he cares too much for the feelings of folks out there that tried to be firstesterest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Morrus has said on many occasions that it makes life easier for him if you let *him* make the thread for stuff like this... Otherwise, he has to go through hurdles to make it feed into news, etc... Be kind to Morrus and give him an hour or two to find the info. I encourage him to save himself the trouble and delete or lock these extra threads while making his own, but he cares too much for the feelings of folks out there that tried to be firstesterest.

Oh, I’ve given up on these. I can’t promote “This is the dudette the creeps out other creepy character classes” to a news article, and I certainly can’t make a transcript in the time it takes somebody to type “This is the dudette the creeps out other creepy character classes”. :)

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]: I put a bit more effort into mine. I didn't do a full transcript, but I did note some of the juicier bits.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I think this is a really silly subclass. For starters we already have sneaky hit-and-run characters. Secondly it's a subclass that promotes an attitude of "you guys do nothing, I'll do this", with a side of "no, none of you are allowed to use light sources because that will cramp my class" which makes for crappy games. Thirdly it isn't "here's a focus for a character that makes sense", it's "here is a class that messes with a mechanic that exists solely for the purpose of making the rules simpler". Darkvision is shorthand for "this thing sees you in the dark" and the mechanics that it uses are sub-par even for that. It's not fleshed out enough to base a class around.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=5890]Saeviomagy[/MENTION]: I've long thought that the PHB ranger has "solo play" written all over it. Yes, it has a few team-oriented features, but mostly it screams "I work alone" ... and this subclass, while it sounds kinda cool, does nothing to lessen that vibe. In fact, it just enhances it. A gloom stalker would make for a great solo campaign PC. Not so sure how well it will work as part of a team.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
[MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION]
The vibe I've always gotten from the ranger is that of Longstrider... some group based stuff, some general utility, some self and group-sufficiency.

And the mechanics kind of support that, but they're just really poorly done. The terrain and favoured foe requirements for class features are pretty odious, and the class features themselves tend to take the form of "here's some things a ranger would be good at... so now you can ignore them completely". Rangers don't get spotlight time for doing ranger things, so the class ends up feeling pointless.

They don't actually have any mechanics that support the 'loner' archetype with the sole exception of their 'fast stealthy overland travel' perk.

But a whole subclass that only works in the dark? Yay. Sounds like a ton of fun for the rest of the group.

Remove ads