D&D 5E Bounded Accuracy: does it deliver as promised?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't have that module, but you CAN get pretty damn good AC with Fighter 1/Sorc X.

21 from fullplate/shield/defense mastery, 23 with +2 from haste, 28 with +5 from shield spell (worth casting every round you get hit for sure). All of this is without any items, and I think the Staff of Defense makes it even easier.

Using Defensive Duelist feat, the AC gets even crazier, but only for one attack/round. And all of this is a heavily specialized AC mechanic build.

I'm very pro-bounded accuracy BTW, and think it does work, even in extreme cases like this. Love it.

In theory, sure. But you can only cast shield 4 times (since it's not a spell you can cast with higher slots) unless you use your sorcery to give up spell slots to purchase lower ones. And I just can't see that happening very often in actual game play with everything else going on (need for spells in non-combat, various tactics in combat, etc) And with the way 5e is, you won't get full plate until at least mid levels I'm guessing.

TLDR version: I'm not a big fan of very specific theory builds because they rarely ever end up that way in actual play

Tormyr

Adventurer
In theory, sure. But you can only cast shield 4 times (since it's not a spell you can cast with higher slots) unless you use your sorcery to give up spell slots to purchase lower ones. And I just can't see that happening very often in actual game play with everything else going on (need for spells in non-combat, various tactics in combat, etc) And with the way 5e is, you won't get full plate until at least mid levels I'm guessing.

TLDR version: I'm not a big fan of very specific theory builds because they rarely ever end up that way in actual play
You can cast any spell at higher slots. Not every spell gives a benefit for doing so.

The way to really get this going is to use a level 18 wizard with Spell mastery and something that gives heavy armor. Then you can cast shield at will. Of course, then you would be sacrificing your signature spell. I really like how 5e is an edition of trade-offs.

T

TDarien

Well, there's nothing preventing you casting shield in a higher-level slot, it just doesn't give any additional benefits if you do.

D

dco

I probably should read through the entire Basic game (I did download it, but with no potential to play it in the near-term, I found it drier than I prefer for casual reading), but how exactly do they implement bounded accuracy, then? I see an awful lot of stuff about higher level monsters not being so monstrously statted compared to prior editions, but how does leveling actually work, then?
As always, but bonuses work differently. You start with +2 proficiency bonus to some skills/attacks/saves and it improves by +1 each 4 lvls, contrary to +1 base attack each lvl.

All rolls are d20+characteristic bonus (+5 max for players with some exceptions)+ proficiency bonus, maximum typically is 11 and players normally start with something between +2 and +7.
AC doesn't improve with level and magic items are rare, monsters are usually between 12-18 AC and players a bit more for all their career unless the DM gives them something. There are also far less buffs at the same time and few of them add simple bonuses.

When you are lvl 20 with 18AC a wolf with +4 can hit you and with advantage (roll 2 dice choose the highest) it can do it easily. It's the same the other way, with lvl 1 you can hit a mighty dragon.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well, there's nothing preventing you casting shield in a higher-level slot, it just doesn't give any additional benefits if you do.

but it would still be more advantageous to swap out a higher level spell for spell points, and use those points to buy 1st level slots, than just use shield at a higher slot. Sorry for wording it poorly

It's interesting so far.

The only problem I'm seeing is that after awhile, my players are only missing on very low rolls. Actually, I'm not sure that's a problem. Let's call it an observation, instead. It seems to work because players inherently enjoy "hitting" -- and this lets them do that, and often. Moving the goalpost from AC to Hit Points took some getting used to, but I'm liking it a lot.

On the DM side of things, I'm absolutely LOVING it. "A swarm of kobolds, but we're 9th level? ... maaaaybe we should sneak around." When's the last time that happened in PF or 3.X? It makes the world feel a bit more real to me. YMMV, of course, but it's definitely a mark in the positive column for me.

Agreed. Seeing players begin to find creative ways to avoid combat but still accomplish their goals is nice. There's a newfound fear and respect for monsters that was missing, for a while.

variant

Adventurer
There are a couple of ill-advised items in the modules released prior to the DMG (and magic item rules) being finalised which definitely strain Bounded Accuracy. I expect they'll be errata'd and magical items will be kept in hand.

At least for a couple of years.

The game is not balanced around magical items. Magical items are outside the purview of the system and are added solely at the discretion of the DM. If a DM breaks the game by giving his players a lot of magical items, that is solely his fault.

Remove ads