D&D 5E Bounded Accuracy: does it deliver as promised?

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
The Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement.
Huh. Blink and you'll miss it. Or at least, if you're me you will.

Still, even at 4d4+4, that's a drop in the ocean even at low levels. I'd assume that if they're going to have "Greater" health potions that they'll end up having a "Major" health potion or somesuch, which will probably be something like 8d4+8. Even then, at 20th-level that's stuff-all. The potion still becomes less of a "I pop right back into combat" and more of a "ok, you're on your feet, now do something to stay that way!"

Acr0ssTh3P0nd

First Post
I don't have that module, but you CAN get pretty damn good AC with Fighter 1/Sorc X.

21 from fullplate/shield/defense mastery, 23 with +2 from haste, 28 with +5 from shield spell (worth casting every round you get hit for sure). All of this is without any items, and I think the Staff of Defense makes it even easier.

Using Defensive Duelist feat, the AC gets even crazier, but only for one attack/round. And all of this is a heavily specialized AC mechanic build.

I'm very pro-bounded accuracy BTW, and think it does work, even in extreme cases like this. Love it.

Quick question: how does a 1st-level fighter afford Full Plate using rules-as-written?

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Quick question: how does a 1st-level fighter afford Full Plate using rules-as-written?

I think he said Fighter 1 / Sorcerer X. So even if we take Fighter 1 / Sorcerer 19, we aren't really worried.

With regards to the whole "AC28" thing...that would only be good for 4 rounds a day. After that, it drops to 23 for another 6 rounds (Haste duration maximum is 10 rounds). After that, you're back down to a respectable 21....but hardly anything even approaching "nigh-unhittable". And if you can cast haste, 3rd level, you are likely to be fighting things with an ok to hit bonus (I'm guessing +4 to +6). I guess the bottom line is...5e's BA is working just fine. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
Using Defensive Duelist feat, the AC gets even crazier, but only for one attack/round. And all of this is a heavily specialized AC mechanic build.
You couldn't stack the Shield spell with Defensive Duelist. Both require a reaction to use. You also couldn't use it with a Staff of Defence while wielding a shield, because it requires using a finesse weapon which the staff is not.

Remove ads