D&D 5E D&D Next not planning to compete against Pathfinder, Splatbook Hints

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is the implication that there is not enough money to be made in the tabletop roleplaying game publishing business to entice Hasbro to compete in it? Or is this a "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" tactic, to distract the CFO and risk management folks at Hasbro from poor sales?

More the former, I think. RPGs themselves are small potatoes compared to the things Hasbro usually concerns itself with. I don't think Hasbro cares, so long as the D&D brand doesn't start costing it serious cash.

WotC, of course, has seen what happens when you have a property that makes it onto Hasbro's radar. I don't doubt that they'd like to have that happen again. But, realizing that the RPG itself is a niche thing, they would have to look to other expressions of the IP in order to reach that target.

delericho

Legend
Yep.

There is, however, one big risk in being the little guy in the big company: every so often big companies run into trouble, and very often their response is to "focus on our core competencies". In practice, what that means is that the big brands survive and the small ones are squashed. (And, actually, we've already seen this almost happen to D&D once, just a few years ago.)

Now, for the moment that doesn't seem to be a risk - WotC as a whole has been bundled up as a single 'brand' in Hasbro (where in 2008 Magic and D&D were considered separately), and Magic is in a boom. But that boom will end, and the decision to bundle them could well be reversed.

Bottom line: D&D is pretty safe at the moment, but I don't think it will ever be really safe at Hasbro. (And nor do I think there's any realistic chance of them letting it go. Though they might license out the RPG part of it.)

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I suppose this means that we'll be seeing some My Little Pony... in Ravenloft! episodes in an effort to show that the brand is able to generate meaningful revenue.

I hate you all so very much. Not you, Kettite, I realize you didn't fully understand what you were doing.

Is the implication that there is not enough money to be made in the tabletop roleplaying game publishing business to entice Hasbro to compete in it?

This is unequivocally the case.

Marvel movies are a perfect example. Joss Whedon, Ed Brubaker, Joe Quesada, yada, yada, yada. The comic writers are writing the movies, too.

...I don't even know where to start with this, so I'm not going to.

It definitely helps with game scripts. Take a look at the history of game script writers and rpg writers, and you will find a lot of overlap between the two. I'm actually surprised to hear people didn't know about this. It's been happening for a couple decades now.

I do know about it, and those people have had a couple of decades of practice. You know what helps with writing game scripts? Writing game scripts.

I never mentioned or implied novel writing, but even that there is evidence you are wrong. Several game authors have written successful books. Not all of them, but there is some overlap there as well.

Successful, yes. But good? That's why they slap the big Forgotten Realms banner on the cover. It's like a magic band-aid for spectacular embarrassment. Again, there is a clear correlation with time spent in field. Dragons of Autumn Twilight is some seriously terrible stuff. I was flabbergasted when I learned it /wasn't/ a transcript of a tabletop game. Dragons of the Twilight Mage? Now there's a fantasy novel.

How many press releases and interviews and articles and speeches will it take for them to convince you that is not what they think? How many times do they have to mention brand and cross platform and multimedia and all entertainment for it to sink in that they mean it? It's one element, but the brand overall is the focus.

...Man, I need a break.

Okay, look. I get what you're saying. But Magic: the Gathering and Monopoly are Hasbro's two biggest franchise brands. Do either of them exist /at all/ without the game at their core? Is there any point at all to a Transformers movie if kids can't go to Toys R Us and buy a plastic Optimus Prime?

They are launching with the tabletop, but that does not mean the tabletop is the ongoing focus. Marvel launched with a new line of comics, but films was the real focus, and after that toys, and after than licensing, and then comics took a distant 4th place.

Is this true? I don't read comics, because they are terrible. Still, that makes sense.

I don't think we're dealing with the same sort of thing here. Marvel is, fundamentally, in the business of selling episodic story and art, quality notwithstanding. Of /course/ they went into movies. They've been doing movies with variable success for half a century. The only difference now is that they've succeeded, and found that in the post-CG-revolution age, movies are a much better way to sell fantastic action and keep more people on the edge of their seats.

D&D, like Monopoly or Magic: the Gathering or Battleship or Transformers or even Hungry Hungry Hipps, is a toy/game product that is about encouraging people to tell their own stories. The movies and video games don't replace the need for the physical object, they are /marketing/ for the physical object.

The brand itself is the focus this time, with the tabletop game just one of many elements that make up that focus.

Trust me, the D&D tabletop game isn't going anywhere. If it goes, it's because Wizards has mothballed the brand lock, stock, and barrel.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I do know about it, and those people have had a couple of decades of practice. You know what helps with writing game scripts? Writing game scripts.

That's baloney DMZ2112, there are current NEW video game writers direct from RPG writing. I just mentioned Chris Pramas only recently returned from that job, and there are several others if producing a list would actually serve to convince you on this point. The two careers of RPG writer and Video Game RPG Writer have a lot in common, and people go back and forth between those two careers often, and they share similar skill sets and talents. If the plan is for WOTC RPG writers to also write the plots for apps and video games and similar stuff, the evidence from those industries supports their belief that such skills and talents translate well between those things.

Successful, yes. But good?

Good is subjective (and yes I liked a lot of it), but successful is more objective. I don't really care if you thought it wasn't good, we have objective data showing success.

That's why they slap the big Forgotten Realms banner on the cover. It's like a magic band-aid for spectacular embarrassment. Again, there is a clear correlation with time spent in field. Dragons of Autumn Twilight is some seriously terrible stuff. I was flabbergasted when I learned it /wasn't/ a transcript of a tabletop game. Dragons of the Twilight Mage? Now there's a fantasy novel.

All of this is just your subjective opinion and frankly meaningless for this sort of debate. A lot of people like those things, and just one of them cancel out your opinion on that topic when we're asking "what helps D&D succeed" as opposed to "what helps D&D please DMZ2112".

...Man, I need a break.

Okay, look. I get what you're saying. But Magic: the Gathering and Monopoly are Hasbro's two biggest franchise brands. Do either of them exist /at all/ without the game at their core?

No but Marvel movies never would have existed without the original comics either. That doesn't make the comics currently the focus of Marvel however. They already established D&D as a brand - people have a high level of recognition already for the brand and that was the important thing. Now, they can expand the brand to all sorts of things, and they don't need to focus as much on the RPG books, just like Marvel no longer needs to focus as much on the Comic books.

Is there any point at all to a Transformers movie if kids can't go to Toys R Us and buy a plastic Optimus Prime?

Yes. The movie made a metric crapload of money, and it wasn't because kids could currently buy a plastic toy. Indeed, it made a ton of money from people who had no intention of buying a plastic toy. The existence of the plastic toy in the distant past is what helped with that - and we already have the existence of D&D in the distant past for similar purposes.

Is this true? I don't read comics, because they are terrible. Still, that makes sense.

I don't think we're dealing with the same sort of thing here. Marvel is, fundamentally, in the business of selling episodic story and art, quality notwithstanding.[/quote]

They're really not anymore, though that remains part of what they do. Their business is SO much larger than that now, particularly since joining Disney. Mostly, it's a licensing business. You can get anything with Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, etc.. on it now, and they make money on every single one of those things that sell. The movies are great for them, the TV show is nice, but reams of money come in from simply ordinary household products like socks, and straws, and sippy cups, and whatever you can imagine. I have a friend working over at Disney and just the money that will come in from Marvel characters appearing in educational video games sold to foreign nations would stagger your imagination.

Of /course/ they went into movies. They've been doing movies with variable success for half a century. The only difference now is that they've succeeded, and found that in the post-CG-revolution age, movies are a much better way to sell fantastic action and keep more people on the edge of their seats.

That's not quite how it happened. After the bankruptcy is really when things took off. Before that, the entertainment line was mostly meh. I know, I owned stock way back then and used to research all their stuff (sometime by hand). Their entertainment line was more successful than D&Ds back then, but not by as much as you'd think. Back before the bankruptcy, comic books really did bring in the bulk of the money. They shifted their business focus away from comics and towards the overall brand after the bankruptcy recovery.

And that seems to be where D&D is now - shifting the focus from the books to the brand.

D&D, like Monopoly or Magic: the Gathering or Battleship or Transformers or even Hungry Hungry Hipps, is a toy/game product that is about encouraging people to tell their own stories. The movies and video games don't replace the need for the physical object, they are /marketing/ for the physical object.

Trust me, the D&D tabletop game isn't going anywhere. If it goes, it's because Wizards has mothballed the brand lock, stock, and barrel.

You mistake what I said for claiming the tabletop portion is going away. Much like comic books, it's not going away. It will still be often identified by books. But, the focus of the company seems to be shifting away from the books and towards the brand, similar to the focus of Marvel after the bankruptcy. Their marketing, I think, will be focused more on the brand than on the books. There will be some marketing for the books, just as Marvel still does some marketing for comic books. But, you're going to see a lot more marketing for the brand than before, if they're doing what I think they are doing.

Wicht

Hero
All of this is just your subjective opinion and frankly meaningless for this sort of debate. A lot of people like those things, and just one of them cancel out your opinion on that topic when we're asking "what helps D&D succeed" as opposed to "what helps D&D please DMZ2112".

I like the original Dragonlance novels quite a bit and they have their moments. But well written they are not.

Which doesn't prove a lot - badly written novels can obviously make money and be entertaining.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
You know, I actually do not care? Hasbro is not in danger of becoming the next Marvel, but still, tabletop D&D could vanish tomorrow, and as long as it was supplanted by toys and games that were encouraging kids to engage their imaginations I would consider it a fair trade. D&D isn't about expensive books and funny dice.

You know, I actually do not care? Hasbro is not in danger of becoming the next Marvel, but still, tabletop D&D could vanish tomorrow, and as long as it was supplanted by toys and games that were encouraging kids to engage their imaginations I would consider it a fair trade. D&D isn't about expensive books and funny dice.

That isn't ever going to happen thanks to the OGL. They could mothball the D&D name but the game would continue to live on. All the IP holder can do is decide to get some income from it or not.

Remove ads