D&D 5E Secret Character Creation

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how much I would enjoy it. I guess since I at least know I would be playing one of my 3 character ideas it wouldn't be so bad. I think it would depend if I was allowed to actually make the character, as in stats, gear, etc. If not, the little differences might bother me and I would feel like I was playing someone else's character. But then again, I may find that it's a blast once the game got started.

Mercule

Adventurer
That rubs me a little wrong. I'd probably wind up giving you 3 versions with the slightest variation in concept.
It depends on the group and the social contract. I don't think I could pull it off with D&D because we choose the D&D system with other expectations. I ran an entire old World of Darkness chronicle, though, where none of the 6-8 (been a few years) players saw their character sheets or rolled dice at any point in the game.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sounds like a fun experiment with a familiar group. My traditional campaign start is the opposite - people talking about characters via email, having a session 0 to stat them up and work out pre-game connections. But it sounds here like you're going for a specific feel and working it to get that. I'd play in it.

As characters can get in the habit of trusting one another after they save each other's life, are you planning on actively keeping this going? Perhaps have them part of/indebted to various groups or factions so that they all have their own hidden goals? Several each, and new ones coming in so it's not uni-directional. Not that these needs be at odds, but if they are private or could conflict that's enough to keep them hidden. And a player with hidden goals for his PC is the most paranoid in looking for hidden goals in others.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That rubs me a little wrong. I'd probably wind up giving you 3 versions with the slightest variation in concept.

Interesting. I usually have so many character concepts that having the DM pick one for me would probably be a mercy. :)

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I'm starting a new Greyhawk Campaign next Friday, and for a change I'm not letting the players know what characters the others are playing to begin with.

Instead, they'll email me a few concepts, I'll choose one for each - keeping an eye on party balance - and when they start they can be introduced to each other as strangers.

I'm hoping to include a bit of intrigue in this game, with some PCs not being trustworthy, so I'm hoping doing character generation this way adds to the uncertainty.

Cheers!

My group has done something similar for the primary campaign we are currently playing, at least with regards to character backgrounds.
It does lead to a bit of uncertainty, but it's also kind of fun trying to figure out where everyone else came from.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think the OP's meaning is that you tell the DM three different character concepts you'd like to play, he compares the ones every suggested, then tells you which one to make (and you keep it all secret from each other).

I'm not seeing how that should be a problem, especially since presumably the DM will guarantee niche protection, and with a group that has played together for 13 years will probably do a pretty good job of putting together concepts he thinks the party will enjoy.

I did something even more unusual (and possibly something people could validly object to) for my Savage Kings theme adventure (15 sessions home brew adventure). I told them that they would be playing the rulers of lands of more savage cultures/races rather than more traditional characters. We met so we could brainstorm character concepts, but I didn't let them know which races they would be playing. I think I had them put together ability scores without racial adjustments, and tell me what class they wanted to play. I then had us come up with character concepts without too much specificity. One player wanted an militaristic amazon style archer ranger, another wanted a Romanesque fighter, another wanted a young bard, one wanted a cleric with a nordic feel, and one wanted a totem barbarian. I believe I had them come up with names also. I smiled because I knew this would work out great.

I think I told each spellcaster (possibly in private) what level of caster they would be, and asked them to select spells they wanted. Then I told them I'd have to alter their characters a bit and get sheets to them. In response to some questions I told them there was the equivalent of some level adjustment ECL stuff that would be going on. That was basically all they knew.

When we started up the first session, we began with scenes of each character "on their throne" or otherwise in their base of power, while I presented things going on to give them the flavor. I tried to drag out the uncertainty as long as I could, and I'm not even sure everyone had figured it out by the end of the introductory scenes, but the reveal was that each character was a giant: the barbarian was a hill giant chieftain, the nordic cleric was a frost giant jarl, the Romanesque fighter was the cloud giant emperor, the militaristic amazon was the fire giant queen (the archer ranger was a stretch, but the backstory and culture she described worked great for fire giants), and the young bard was the regent of the storm giants.

They also didn't realize that it was set tens of thousands of years before my primary campaign timeline, when dwarves were slaves of the fire giants, elves were barely heard of, and the lesser races like humanoids didn't even exist. They got to adventure through the mythic age with floating earthburgs and Dr. Seuss styled mountains as they gathered their forces for a mighty battle with an army of dragons.

It was awesome. But it was also known to be a limited length theme adventure rather than a new campaign.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm not seeing how that should be a problem, especially since presumably the DM will guarantee niche protection, and with a group that has played together for 13 years will probably do a pretty good job of putting together concepts he thinks the party will enjoy.
I just would rather pick my own character, even if it resulted in all of us playing gnome battlemasters. I don't care one whit for niche protection - indeed, I think that's the bit that actually rubs me the wrong way. Since the idea is "create your characters in isolation from the other players" let's see where that leads us.

Satyrn

First Post
It depends on the group and the social contract.
Aye. And well said. It's why I was sticking to relating my reaction to the idea rather than tell him it's a bad idea or the like. It may indeed be an excellent idea for his group.

Although after my previous post, I have a suggestion for the OP. If a few of his players do as I said I would, with one sending him 3 variations of essentially the same concept, Merric maybe ought to take that as a sign they're not concerned with party balance or niche protection or anything like that and would rather just play the character of their choice even if it resulted in a party full of gnome battlemasters.

hawkeyefan

Legend
My group has done things like this a lot in recent years when we start a new campaign. We've also picked characters randomly and swapped characters and things like that. We've found that it can really help make the game interesting in new ways. My group has been playing together for a long time, and I think that helps with these kinds of experiments.

I think more groups should try this kind of thing to try and open up new avenues of enjoyment with the game.

Good luck, [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION]. Let us know how it goes.

Remove ads