D&D 5E Can a wizard learn a new cantrip from a scroll?

Fralex

Explorer
Would anyone allow players to learn a new cantrip using the training rules? A cantrip is sort of like a really weird weapon proficiency, so it kind of works.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
I would not. There is a feat that allows you to learn 4 weapon proficiencies and there is a feat that allows you to learn 2 new cantrips (and a first level spell).

Fralex

Explorer
I don't know, I feel like the existence of a feat that lets you instantly learn two new cantrips from ANY class suggests there is some other way to learn additional cantrips... Although looking over the training rules again, I just realized its main use is for learning tools and languages. Maybe training could also be used to get a feat early, in exchange for your next ASI. That would put a cap on it.

Clancey

First Post
So, when a new set of official cantrips/spells comes out, as in the current Elemental Evil Companion, how would those become available to established characters? Spells in scrolls yes, but cantrips no unless (par exemple) a 13th level MU takes on a Magic Initiate feat? I am new to 5E, so I don't know much about spells since I am slowly making my way through the fighter classes until I am comfortable enough with them to graduate to spell casters.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
In the ELEMENTAL EVIL example, I think that it's fine to determine a means of retraining an existing cantrip (I'd determine a story reason, as DM, if it came up) if the game introduces a new cantrip that the player prefers for the character, the issue there being that the cantrip didn't exist for the player to choose from to expend limited character resources on. However, if the player wanted merely to add an additional cantrip – whether one from the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK, ELEMENTAL EVIL, or any other source, I'd go with using the Magic Initiate feat (so that the 13th-level Wizard would have to wait until 16th level), since that's the mechanism to add new cantrips to the repertoire of a character (remember that the strength of a cantrip is character-level based, so any new cantrip is well more potent than a 1st-level spell spent in a 1st-level slot).

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I think that wizards should be able to switch out their cantrips in a similar manner to how they prepare spells - ie you 'prepare' a limited number of cantrips and then cast them at will, and the cantrips that you start with are the ones written into your spellbook initially.

ehenning

Explorer
I think that wizards should be able to switch out their cantrips in a similar manner to how they prepare spells - ie you 'prepare' a limited number of cantrips and then cast them at will, and the cantrips that you start with are the ones written into your spellbook initially.

From the PHB, pg. 201:
Cantrips
A cantrip is a spell that can be cast at will, without using a spell slot and without being prepared in advance. Repeated practice has fixed the spell in the caster’s mind and infused the caster with the magic needed to produce the effect over and over.

Doesn't seem right to be able to swap these out.

Johny Broxy

First Post
I would definately rule that any new cantrips you buy, act as first level spells in your spell book which you must prepare first, this makes buying cantrips a possibility while being less useful as typical cantrips

G

Guest 6801328

I haven't through all the implications, but it would be cool if casters started with one or two cantrips, but then could use as many as they found. Would mess with AL big-time, but still...

Li Shenron

Legend
So let's say a wizard finds a spell scroll for a cantrip from the wizard list that he doesn't currently know. The DMG says this type of magic item has a rarity of "common", meaning that scrolls like this should be inexpensive and easy to find, even in (magic-item-sparse) 5E. Can the wizard learn a new cantrip from scroll?

What [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] said.

Narratively, you can say you learn your additional 4th and 10th level cantrips from that scroll, for example, but you can't increase the number of your known cantrips by copying scrolls to your spellbook.

Remove ads