Microscope and Beyond

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
My apologies - things were moving slowly enough here that I lost track.

If it's still a going interest, I'm still in, and the above all sounds fine to me.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Sorry I've been slow. I'm in several other games. If that's a problem, we can table this.

That's 4 votes for the Beginning, so I think that's a majority. Any ideas for the End of our History?

One idea given was:
  • An ancient evil awakens. No one knew it existed. Or did they?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The other end was: The sun "turns back on".

I like the ancient evil awakens as part of the beginning. Like

Beginning: The sun goes out. An ancient evil awakens. No one knew it existed. Or did they?
End: The sun returns. Is all better now... or is it worse?

Actually, that sounds pretty great.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
That's not bad. Any other ideas?

Step 1: THE BIG PICTURE

Civilization had reached a shining pinnacle of Art, Science, and Magic, but then a Stellar Event occurred, and now all the rules have changed.

Step 2: BOOKEND HISTORY

Your history will be divided into Periods. Each Period is a very large chunk of time, probably decades or centuries. Describe how your history begins and ends. These are your starting and ending Periods, the bookends of your history. You’ll add more Periods later on, but everything will be between these points.

1) Agree on a short description for each Period, just a few sentences or a paragraph at most, painting a clear picture of what happens during that time.

2) Decide whether each description is Light or Dark, whether what happens during that Period is generally happy or tragic. This is the Tone of each Period. The Tone of the starting and ending Period do not have to match.

You can describe either Period first, as you prefer. Sometimes it’s easier to pick Light or Dark for each Period, then see what ideas emerge.

Beginning: The sun goes out. An ancient evil awakens. No one knew it existed. Or did they?
End: The sun returns. Is all better now... or is it worse?

Link to the brainstorming document.

Players:
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION]
[MENTION=79926]ART![/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe, I'm having so much trouble figuring out what we're doing here...I feel really dense, and I'm sorry.

Are we creating the 'periods' of history now, or just deciding how it begins and ends? Because I don't think the history of the world starts with the sun going out. I think there must have been a time before, when the sun was bright, so that there's myths and legends of that time. Rather, the sun going out happened some time ago, but is not the first thing that happened.

tglassy

Adventurer
We are just deciding which length of time we will be working within. For example, if it was American History, we could just look at the time between WWI and WWII, and we play in the time in between. Yeah, stuff happened before, but that's not where we will be playing. The game is in between the sun going out and the sun coming back. Everything before and after is outside that purview.

Shayuri

First Post
Ah, hence the confusion. I thought we were shaping the entire scope of history, and we'd work out where the game fell later on. Okay then.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ah, hence the confusion. I thought we were shaping the entire scope of history, and we'd work out where the game fell later on. Okay then.

I've also found that unclear at times. I think the microscope method is interesting, but so far I find it's getting in the way of brainstorming more than it's helping. I think it's because I'm just not familiar with it, or what it expects of us.

tglassy

Adventurer
I think it's because we're doing it by post instead of sitting around a table. This entire conversation would have taken two minutes if it were in person. Also, we haven't moved on even though we have finished this part.

We have our opening and ending, let's move on to the next part.

Remove ads