Eldritch Evocations

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
So if I'm reading the PHB right, you get 2 Eldritch Evocations at 2nd level but you can't yet take any of the ones that require a Pact Feature because you don't get that until 3rd. When you gain Warlock 3rd though you can replace one and start picking up pact specific ones. Yes? It seems odd that if you have chosen your patron you haven't yet established what pact you have. Do I have this RAW correct?

So if I'm reading the PHB right, you get 2 Eldritch Evocations at 2nd level but you can't yet take any of the ones that require a Pact Feature because you don't get that until 3rd. When you gain Warlock 3rd though you can replace one and start picking up pact specific ones. Yes? It seems odd that if you have chosen your patron you haven't yet established what pact you have. Do I have this RAW correct?

You, the player, know what the warlock's implement will be, but there is no evidence that the PC actually knows until he/she gets it:

A) It could be that the patron picks what to give the warlock.
B) It could also be a point of negotiation. That would also cover the PC knowing what he/she will get, but the patron forbidding access to invocations.
C) It would also fit the Lovecraftian GOO-type patron for the warlock to have to stick his/her hand into some weird hole in space and get the first thing you grab......

Maybe as the warlock proves themself worthy, the patron requires a more specific pact in return for granting the warlock more power. Thus, at 3rd level you get a pact boon and access to more invocations.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yes.

Level 1: no invocations
Level 2: two invocations
Level 3: two invocations, one may be pact-specific
Level 4: two invocations, both may be pact-specific
Level 5: three invocations ... (etc.)

At level 3 you unlearn one of the invocations you had at level 2 to aquire your pact-related one.

The ability to unlearn invocations is a key warlock ability.

Remove ads