‘The Greatest American Hero’ Reboot With Female Lead Gets Big ABC Commitment

well I'd argue that there is no room for Iron Fist but okay I get your point:)
still all those properties are lucky enough that they come across as different genre, Supergirl and Greatest American Hero seem to share a similar genre slot (geeky girl, coming to terms with powers, assisted by government agency)

Right, but in one instance she's an alien pretending to be human who knows how to use her powers very well after the first couple episodes. In the other, the powers are granted by a suit that is hard to control.
One is a straight drama, the other likely dramedy if not straight comedy.
When you remove the two common elements (female main and government agency) and they're nothing alike.

And really, the gender shouldn't matter at all. It's not like people questioned the need for Flash after Arrow because it was going to be about a dude in a costume fighting crime with their ensemble of teammates.

Ryujin

Legend
well I'd argue that there is no room for Iron Fist but okay I get your point:)
still all those properties are lucky enough that they come across as different genre, Supergirl and Greatest American Hero seem to share a similar genre slot (geeky girl, coming to terms with powers, assisted by government agency)

Yeah, the more I saw of "Iron Fist", the less I liked it. The cocked him up pretty badly and it only got worse in "The Defenders."

They might be able to pull off a "Greatest American Hero" reboot but only if they keep the basic premise, and not look back to the original for story.

Jhaelen

First Post
If there's room for Arrow and Flash and Black Lightning and Daredevil and Luke Cage and Iron Fist and Punisher then there's room for both Supergirl and a Greatest American Hero remake.
Is there room for all of these? I certainly experienced super-hero fatigue well before the most recent spin-off shows started.
Basically, I stopped watching any show I didn't really consider good: that covers all shows by CW and most by ABC and Fox networks. The netflix shows were a cut above the rest until the Iron Fist desaster.
I'd definitely prefer quality over quantity.

Is there room for all of these? I certainly experienced super-hero fatigue well before the most recent spin-off shows started.
Basically, I stopped watching any show I didn't really consider good: that covers all shows by CW and most by ABC and Fox networks. The netflix shows were a cut above the rest until the Iron Fist desaster.
I'd definitely prefer quality over quantity.

I'd almost prefer half the CW shows to the Netflix shows because the pacing is better. Each of the 13 episode Netflixs shows probably had enough plot for 10 episodes. Jessica Jones in particular needed a few side cases to fill out the early bits of the show and break-up the singular plotline.

Honestly, I don't get super hero fatigue more than I would get science fiction or fantasy fatigue. Instead, I just have to limit my shows because there's only so much TV I'm willing to watch. Ditto movies really: I can get to one movie a month, and if there's two awesome movies in a single month odds are one is being skipped.

I think a show that parodies superheroes could actually be a good thing. A lot of people want to laugh at the absurdity of capes and super powers. If done well anyway. The potential fatigue works in the favour of the show.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree, they should hire a good director, not the one most willing to agenda push...

I was wondering who would be the person to volunteer to be the example where I show we were *not joking* with our recent inclusivity rules. Looks like it's you! I'm afraid you'll be leaving temporarily.

For everybody else, a reminder of the rule: "EN World is an inclusive community, and we encourage and welcome all people here. To that end, we strive to make it a welcoming place where nobody feels alienated because of who they are. You MAY NOT use the terms "agenda", "ideology", "politics", or "propaganda" in relation to the inclusion of people slightly different to you in gaming products, or post any message which is discriminatory towards those who differ to you in terms of skin colour, gender, gender identification, sexuality, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, or any other personal attribute. We do not subscribe to the argument that tolerance means that we need to tolerate intolerance or that inclusivity means that we need to include non-inclusiveness."

http://www.enworld.org/forum/misc.php?do=showrules

We were *not* joking about this.

Last edited:

Remove ads