D&D 5E “Buddy the Elf, what’s your favorite character class?”

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I love gish type classes, so for WotC 5e, my favorite classes have been hexblade warlock and bladesinger wizard.

For well-known homebrew, I also really like Kibblestasty's Inventor and Occultist, Laserllama's Magus, and Mage Hand Press' Warmage.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I love gish type classes, so for WotC 5e, my favorite classes have been hexblade warlock and bladesinger wizard.

For well-known homebrew, I also really like Kibblestasty's Inventor and Occultist, Laserllama's Magus, and Mage Hand Press' Warmage.
I am so into the Gish that I cannot fathom pure wizard. I have to get in the mix and up close sometimes.

Besides blade pact warlocks, I dabble in my oldest love—the cleric. I have a LN Cleric of Wee Jas death domain. I love being able to fight and at other times just throw spells.

I like champion fighters to an extent but have never played one in 5e due to my addiction to some magic

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I am so into the Gish that I cannot fathom pure wizard. I have to get in the mix and up close sometimes.

Besides blade pact warlocks, I dabble in my oldest love—the cleric. I have a LN Cleric of Wee Jas death domain. I love being able to fight and at other times just throw spells.

I like champion fighters to an extent but have never played one in 5e due to my addiction to some magic
the lack of a true arcane gish that scratches the itch correctly has always bugged me, not even videogames have a word for it.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
the lack of a true arcane gish that scratches the itch correctly has always bugged me, not even videogames have a word for it.
In truth I probably don’t need a true Gish it blade pact warlocks are considered. I am probably misusing the term a bit.

I like being able to misty step past the mooks and get right up on the dais by the enemy spellcasters. Or in some cases to fly up and project melee power with some other means of conveyance. Similarly, I do like dropping a fireball to soften up the opposition before rolling in with a greatsword!

I love me a good Bard or Wizard (tied) with Paladin being close behind followed by cleric. All others are just ok.

For Wizard I love battlefield control more than anything. Having a nice variety of tools to be able to deal with encounters.

Bard's draw for me is just it's sheer versatility. I've built so many bards that fit so many different concepts and they all work so well.

Paladin and Cleric I tend to go to if I'm looking for support classes, especially if my DM allows archetypes tailored to specific deities

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I like lots of classes, but some kind of fighter/caster is my first love, going back to my first Elf character in Mentzer Basic in 1985.

I've played more clerics, fighters and paladins than pure casters (I had a Diviner Wizard in the Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign I'm playing in now, but made a Hexblade when the wizard died), so I guess some fighty is first priority. But I want some complexity and options. 4E was the first edition in which I played a straight-up Fighter without multiclassing.

Yaarel

He Mage
What is your favorite class and subclass and why? Purely for fun would love to know why people play what they play.

Always a mage class. The specific build depends on my mood.

My 5e go-tos are:

Bard, Wizard, and "Psion" (reflavoring Warlock plus new spell research). The 5e Bard is the best ever for its mythological accuracy. The 5e Wizard is awesome for its spontaneous spellcasting.

Druid emphasizing animism or alchemy. Cleric emphasizing animism or mysticism.

To my surprise, I love the 5e Paladin. It is an incredible versatile class for flavor concepts ranging from Thor to Gandalf. It is an excellent gish. As DM, many NPCs have the Paladin in mind, and sometimes I swap the radiant Smite for an other damage type for the sake of flavor, and-or create a Paladin "order" to cherry pick certain spells to round out the flavor of the character concept.

Remove ads