D&D 5E 02/08/13 New playtest packet to released today. [Udate: PACKAGE OUT!][

Klaus

First Post
There are 0 Intelligence saving throws, 4 Charisma saving throws (one of which only matter to outsiders/summons) and 2 Strength saving throws, so there is really no need that I can see.

I assume you're only looking at the Spell descriptions. The How To Play document has saving throw examples for all scores, and all of them can also be called upon during contests.

Klaus

First Post
I'll also note arcane archer isn't restricted to arcane magic which I like, this is a really good feat for archer based rangers. Gives it a seeker feel.

Arcane Archer needs something extra. At the moment, the only benefit is using a bow's range. I'd like to see a creature hit by the imbued arrow take disadvantage on saves against the imbued spell.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
It seems that classes have to roll their hp now. Instead of saying "1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per barbarian level gained" it now just says "1d12 + your Constitution modifier per barbarian level gained."

This clearly seems to be a deliberate edit, and IMO is a huge step backwards. They know that a huge portion of the player base loathes rolling for hit points. So what gives?

Citation Needed.

Paraxis

Explorer
Citation Needed.

Really, how about all the 4e players, all the people who enjoy organized play from 3.x/pathfinder/ect, all the groups I have seen at game stores and conventions over the last few decades that use something like fixed hit points or roll twice take the higher, roll and if less than half take half, ect....

Almost no one I have played with or seen play in a long time rolls HP straight, because we all realize that a fighter rolling a 1 and a wizard rolling a 6 is silly.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
And your experience is just that. Your experience. Mine is the exact opposite. Only I'm not claiming my experience as universal. So we're back in Socrates cave. If a claim like that is to be made, FACTS should be presented, otherwise, it's merely anecdotal, and worthless.

Paraxis

Explorer
And your experience is just that. Your experience. Mine is the exact opposite. Only I'm not claiming my experience as universal. So we're back in Socrates cave. If a claim like that is to be made, FACTS should be presented, otherwise, it's merely anecdotal, and worthless.

Not exactly the first two things I mentioned were 4e player base that if that was their introduction to rpg's have never seen hit dice per level, second group are the organized play people. Those groups are not my subjective experience or some thing we guess at, but large groups of the people NEXT wants to attract to it's system.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Almost no one I have played with or seen play in a long time rolls HP straight, because we all realize that a fighter rolling a 1 and a wizard rolling a 6 is silly.

For the most part, our group rolls for HP, except in the lone 4Ed campaign we had, and a few of the more recent 3.5Ed campaigns that had max HP at 1st level. After 1st, though, it's all rolling.

A'koss

Explorer
Heh, I think we switched to average die rolls maybe... a couple years before 2nd ed came out. Before that I seem to recall allowing re-rolls for anything that was a 1 or a 2.

Remove ads