D&D 5E 02/08/13 New playtest packet to released today. [Udate: PACKAGE OUT!][

A'koss

Explorer
They know that a huge portion of the player base loathes rolling for hit points. So what gives?
I didn't even give it a second glance as people were using average rolls long, long before it became a rule. I'm willing to bet that if it isn't back by the time it sees print it'll show up as an optional rule elsewhere.
But certainly worth making a note of in your next playtest report...

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I don't believe that D&D can force you do play according to the rules.

That's beside the point. We're talking about the official rules, not what I can or can't do at home. Rule 0 doesn't mean I don't get to comment about things I don't like in the playtest. They had the option to not roll for hp, and for some reason, deliberately decided to remove it. I want to know why.

S

Sunseeker

That's beside the point. We're talking about the official rules, not what I can or can't do at home. Rule 0 doesn't mean I don't get to comment about things I don't like in the playtest. They had the option to not roll for hp, and for some reason, deliberately decided to remove it. I want to know why.

I suspect they are trying to make "core" as straight-forward as possible. If you develop a core that is wishy-washy, constantly repeating "well here are the rules...but here are some other rules if you don't like that, but ya know you really could do this other thing too..." it undermines core. I have no doubt the "advanced" game will include various rolling options, but the basic, and perhaps even standard ones will likely only include one way for simplicity's sake.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I suspect they are trying to make "core" as straight-forward as possible. If you develop a core that is wishy-washy, constantly repeating "well here are the rules...but here are some other rules if you don't like that, but ya know you really could do this other thing too..." it undermines core. I have no doubt the "advanced" game will include various rolling options, but the basic, and perhaps even standard ones will likely only include one way for simplicity's sake.

Why does adding (or 7) make things too complicated for the "core"? Seemed pretty simple straight forward to me.

The wizard traditions are indeed much better... but they're now even more tightly locked into the ludicrous spell schools. Blech! At least they have some seriously flavorful abilities. (And apparently we'll be able to build our own, so that's something.)

I was... mostly pretty underwhelmed by the classes. The fighter is just so much less interesting than he was before, when maneuvers were his thing.

I do have to say that the barbarian looks like a monster now. I like what I see.

I'm not sure what the point of the ki pool is, unless it's mimicking Pathfinder.

Some of the changes to backgrounds are just inexplicable. Only fighters can be knights now, apparently - sorry, paladins! They suggest Noble for you now, never mind if it doesn't make sense! And Soldier gives proficiency with cards and dice. REALLY? No option for, I don't know, a martial weapon or two? (Not all of them, certainly.) So if you were a Soldier before you were Mage, you still don't know one end of a sword (or perhaps pike or bow) from the other.

Forgot to mention that I find the feats really cool for the most part; they feel quite hefty.

At first I was thinking that everyone should get one at 1st level, then I remembered that you don't really become a full adventurer until 3rd or 4th, I forget which. So it all makes sense.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Hmm, now that I see the rules for attribute increases down on paper, I'm really starting to go off it. I get that it's simple, that's definitely an advantage if you play without feats, but I think it brings out the fundamental flaw in pre-3E (and to some extent 3E) abilities: what's the point in increasing some of them?

If you're a Fighter, you increase you Strength to 20, got it. Then you bump your Con. You'll still have points left to spend using standard array, so what, you increase Dex? Nah, you're in heavy armour. Int or Cha are fun but given their grand total of 3 saving throws across all spells, you're better off with Wisdom. Repeat with other classes, bump your prime requisite, then your Con. High level characters will all be surprisingly robust. I see a future math error right there - a failure to account for the fact that most characters have got another 20-40HP over the levels and monsters failing to make a dent.

Now feats, I quite like them, they're chunky. But. There's always a but. Because many of the sub-abilities *aren't* just numerical, there's a reasonable chance you've already picked it up somewhere else. I'm not sure that's a bother if it's a proficiency, but if you're an Elf, taking Alert seems.. unfortunate? Even though it's quite in theme. Same goes for Stealthy since you've almost got two parts of that.

I'd really like to see a return to the old-fashioned weapon proficiency system of yore. A bit like skill points, each step would give you a neat ability or choice thereof. If you're a bow expert, first you're proficient, then you can pick the range, cover or multiattack option for your next point, and so on. Allow no more points to be invested in a category than your attack bonus and Fighters get their advantage built in.

Seriously there are a whole bunch of things that could be combined into the same subsystem. Right now every class is all over the place with abilities and feats. It's really off-putting that there's no elegance in the design :(

bogmad

First Post
The wizard traditions are indeed much better... but they're now even more tightly locked into the ludicrous spell schools. Blech! At least they have some seriously flavorful abilities. (And apparently we'll be able to build our own, so that's something.)

I really liked that they basically said each spell school would also generally have a tradition, but that some traditions might mix and match.
Once they all get filled all out it'll keep you from having that neglected school that doesn't have any interesting hooks, and it opens the door for interesting organizations and magical institutions (or *ahem* schools) for different campaigns when they open up and let you build your own.

R

RevTurkey

Flat bonus to Human stats...makes no sense to me. Really don't like that. It's stupid.

Remove ads