1-On-1 D&D - HELP!!??

Angelsboi

First Post
Ok since i cant seem to find anyone and one of m players found me and we've been looking for a while, we decided to kick the D&D withdrawls and have a game with just him.

What can you all suggest?

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Pick a world you are both interested in playing, and then have a detailed character creation setting. He may have a single character, or a couple, and really get good and detailed about 'em. Who they are, their past, really get to know them.

Then, as GM, sit back and create a campaign just for him, one that touches on the history of the character(s), then begin. Play funky one-shots until you're ready, then go for it.

So much of what will make this a great campaign is tailoring it to the player and PC(s) - it's hard to suggest what kind of game to make without knowing what kind of character(s) there will be. But it has the potential to be a really rivoting experience.

dvvega

Explorer
Depends on the type of adventuring you're after ... here are some ideas that I've run in the past:

City Adventuring
---------------------
Perfectly open to a rogue or bard type, perhaps working for the guild, or avoiding the guild (Gord the Rogue would conjure up this kind of adventure style).

How about a young member of the watch (see DrNuncheon's Story Hour for a 2-player series).

Wilderness Adventuring
------------------------------
A druid who is protecting an area of the forest under his domain, a ranger who is hunting down a tribe of marauding humanoids.

Other
--------
Wizards guild style (Harry Potter is a good example if you play Harry, but a bit childish ... but you get the idea).

Barbarian leader trying to get his tribe to safety

Variations on those themes.

Angelsboi

First Post
Wybvernsclaw is a cool site but why do i need it?

Hes playing a Dwarven Evoker (he scribes spells on his cigars (via Scribe Scroll)) who has 30 years of Amnesia (insert evil DM Laugh here).

For the first season (12 episodes), we're focusing on a small villiage called Darkenshire (he was told some answers to his questions lied here).

I will be creating a NPC Cleric (for the fighting and healing).

dvvega

Explorer
In one of my current groups in my campaign I too had a Dwarf, sorcerer however, with amnesia ... weird huh :)

He filled me in on roughly where he was headed (he was the son of a priest king) and I went from there, organised it and so forth.

We did work in a hook ...he had an adamantine axe stolen from him during a fight (the cause of the amnesia) when a spell backfired on him. So for the first 5 levels he was tracking down the thieves, following clues where they sold it on to another buyer and so forth

From there he got a flash of memory back (his father handing him the family heirloom) and so went on from there.

The player had to leave the group for personal reasons, but we worked that in since he discovered his priest king allegiance and is now ostensibly trying to rebuild his clan.

In your case, perhaps this village is the site of a fight where he suffered the amnesia orginally ... or perhaps he has debets and so forth.

Your idea will work as long as its more roleplaying than combat. From what I've read about in a lot of your posts, that shouldn't be a problem :)

Angelsboi

First Post
Thanks for the compliment =)

He has an odd tattoo and what i have decided it does, is that it was tattooed by a psionicist in town who remembers the dwarf. Thats all i know so far. The events in town will keep him wrapped up for a while and he will eventually head back to his friend about a month away in the Capitol of Rydonia. But hes a very creative player (look at the cigar thing =) )

drnuncheon

Explorer
Angelsboi said:
Wybvernsclaw is a cool site but why do i need it?

I believe their "* 101" modules (Thievery 101, etc) are all designed for one-on-one play.

For general ideas - you have it easy, really. You don't have to worry about the group dynamics, focusing on one player too much, stretching things to adapt to a paladin and a thief in the same group...Many fantasy novels have a single "main" character. The campaign is his story.

It sounds like you're off to a good start with the amnesia gambit. I used something very similar for a 1-on-1 I ran for my wife.

It began with her running through snowy woods, frightened and being pursued. She remembered nothing. As she ran, she tripped and fell, catching sight of herself reflected in the surace of a stream. At that point, I asked her to describe what she saw...and that's all she got to choose about the character. (muahaha) The game centered around who she was, why she had no memories, and why people were trying to use her...or kill her.

:D

J

TheMan

First Post
I always liked the one-on-one campaigns because they allow a player to maximize the utility and personality of their character. There is a problem however - there is no other PC's there to help save them when a situation gets tough. I would suggest that whatever theme or campaign you decide to go with, provide a supportive NPC that the character can befriend or ally with. This creates more work on the GM's part, but makes it easier than fudging rolls to keep the single player alive or having them miraculously get raised when they were torn to ribbons by wolves in the middle of the woods. This is also a subterfuge to allow the GM to play a developing character as well - just don't let the NPC become the figure head of the group.

Angelsboi

First Post
Well im creating a Cleric so i can brew potions, and i can heal and help with the fighting.

Awesome guys!! Thanks for the help!!

Remove ads