• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

1001 minor traits for magic swords

Nookie

Explorer
Did i make this thread jump the shark? LOL

182) The Preshus Blade: When not in combat this fine weapon begs atention. The owner must periodically roll a dc 10 will save or cradle the weapon calling it all sorts of flattering Names. The weapon however dose reciprocate and hums happily when its getting its attention.

josha

First Post
  • Slightly reduces the hold of gravity on the wielder, giving them a +2 bonus to jump checks, and cutting falling damage in half.
  • Releases a flash a searing light upon scoring a critical hit, blinding the target for 1d4 rounds.
  • Prevents wounds from clotting, dealing 1 point of Constitution damage upon scoring a critical hit.
  • Screws with the vision of the target, making them colorblind for 1d6 rounds after being hit.

Nookie

Explorer
  • Slightly reduces the hold of gravity on the wielder, giving them a +2 bonus to jump checks, and cutting falling damage in half.
  • Releases a flash a searing light upon scoring a critical hit, blinding the target for 1d4 rounds.
  • Prevents wounds from clotting, dealing 1 point of Constitution damage upon scoring a critical hit.
  • Screws with the vision of the target, making them colorblind for 1d6 rounds after being hit.

We can call these 183 - 186

SnowleopardVK

First Post
187) Blade of comfort: Anyone within 10' of this blade acts as though under the effects of an Endure Elements spell for as long as they remain within a 10' distance of the blade.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
188) The Second Blade. This +1 short sword was one of the two blades used by legendary planewalker Noom Es Dharim. When Noom dissappeared only this sword remained behind. But there still exists a link to the first blade, and once per day the wielder of this sword may call it out. The First Blade, a +1 longsword, will appear at the wielders side. It will fight by itself, flying across the air. It will use the wielders attributes to move and do battle, but will only have 5 hitpoints. It will disappear after 5 turns, or after defeated. It will take commands from the wielder of the Second Blade, such as "attack the man with the moustache" or "stay in front of me, and attack anyone who approaches us". If not given commands, it will simply hover in the air and do nothing.

Pheonix0114

Explorer
189) The Zapper. The wielder of this blade may at will make it start glowing a bright electric blue, equivalent in brightness to a torch. The blade vibrates softly in the wielder's hand, and emits a slight buzzing noise. Insects are attracted to the blade, and are annihilated by contact with it, other creatures that aren't immune to electricity take 1 point of non lethal damage per round that they touch the blade.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
190) The attuned blade.

If this blade receives at least a week of regular use by a single owner and nobody else it gains an aura of good/evil/lawful/chaos matching its owner's alignment and functions as a +X (however much the GM wants really) sword in the hands of that owner. When anyone else tries to use the sword it functions as a -X sword (same value of X as the plus side) instead, and is incapable of damaging any creatures that share both the class and alignment of the owner (including the owner themself of course). If the owner changes alignment the sword ceases to recognize him/her and acts as if s/he is somebody else, giving a penalty instead of a bonus. Another week of regular use by a single person can re-attune the blade to a new master or to an old master of changed alignment however.

Heh... It was meant to be a pretty simple concept. Not so much once I wrote it down I guess.

EDIT: In response to Jonesy's exp point comment. Yeah, it's too complicated. I wrote it all in detail to make sure it had established rules that weren't too easy to loophole one's way through. My original concept was a five-second description.

Last edited:

Remove ads