D&D (2024) 1st level monk. Why?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I like the new monk. It is a lot better than the old version, but it is not quite there yet. I agree that 1st level monks could use something more. Personally I think all monks should be able to apply the 3rd lvl open hand monks abilities to all unarmed strikes. Having said that, a 1st level monk can do 15.5 damage and apply vex once with a dagger and a hand axe. I think that that is the highest at will damage at level 1.
Huh. I never considered pairing a light Nick weapon with a light Vex weapon, but that totally works with the current wording. I guess Shortsword+Scimitar is going to be the optimal combination for dual-wielders (or dagger+handaxe for monks, as you observe here).

Clint_L

Hero
And you pass as a commoner.
And you have two free hands to grab and shove.
Or just give monks di points at level 1, including their wisdom or proficiency bonus, but make step of the wind their only initial ability. Then they could do cool monk stuff right from first level without increasing their damage.

Also, it would teach players right from first level that your niche is light skirmisher, get in and get out, which this packet makes clear is WotC’s vision for the class.

mellored

Legend
IMO, add the following to level 1.

DexterousAttacks.You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack, saving throw, and damage rolls of your Unarmed Strikes and Simple Weapons...

1ST LEVEL: UNARMORED MOVEMENT
Your speed increases by 5 feet... this bonus increases as shown on the monk table.

Horwath

Legend
1st level:
1. HD boosted to d12, monks are described as peak physical conditioning and toughness.
2. Proficiency in light armor, if you wear light armor you add half wisdom mod(round down) to AC
3. Martial die improves Simple weapons damage as current monk.
4. As mentioned by @mellored; +5ft speed bonus

2nd level: as mentioned by all in various threads; +wis mod to discipline/ki points

3rd level: gain fighting style

Or just give monks di points at level 1, including their wisdom or proficiency bonus, but make step of the wind their only initial ability. Then they could do cool monk stuff right from first level without increasing their damage.

Also, it would teach players right from first level that your niche is light skirmisher, get in and get out, which this packet makes clear is WotC’s vision for the class.
I think that is a good idea.

Remove ads