2 new Ravnica Novels coming in 2019

gyor

Legend
The MtG novels tend to be awful though. Their reputation is worse than D&D ones as occasionally you get a good D&D ones.

That was circa 2010 from memory the only good ones were the Urzas ones from the 90's.

The original Ravnica novels are really well written, kick ass books, at least the first two are, they are what sold me on the Ravnica setting. I can't speak to most of the rest of the setting, I only read one other and it was okay.

But I loved the Ravnica novels.

Perhaps the other novels weren't so good.

I still hope to see some FR crossover.

gyor

Legend
Things like wikis are often better than the source material. Traditionally the Brothers War is regarded as a good Magic series novel. When I used to play often won fatpacts which came with the novels and tried reading Guildpact and Dissention which were part of the Ravnica block.

Alara ones were dreadful along with Odyssey ones. Basically everything from Brothers War to Kamigawa was utter crap (1998 or so through to 2005). Kamigawa novels apparently we're OK.

Have not paid attention to MtG since 2010 or so though maybe they got better recently. The world's were interesting though.

They stopped doing novels in 2010. The ones in 2019 will be the first in 9 years.

Zardnaar

Legend
They stopped doing novels in 2010. The ones in 2019 will be the first in 9 years.

Probably because they were awful and no one bought them;).

2010 was when I stopped playing MtG, IIRC it was when standard decks hit $1000 with the mythic decks and 31/32 Jace the Mindsculptors were in top 8 decks at some tourney.

Brothers War and the Ravnica/Kamigawa ones are the best by most accounts.

I had the Ravnica novels tried reading them and gave up. I liked the setting but picked it up form the cards and the fat packs books. I borrowed the name Razia for a Sorcerer Queen in a homebrew Darksun.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The MtG novels tend to be awful though. Their reputation is worse than D&D ones as occasionally you get a good D&D ones.

That was circa 2010 from memory the only good ones were the Urzas ones from the 90's.

Well, the lastnovel was published in 2010, by a different company with different editorial standards. D&D novels don't have a significantly different reputation, to be honest, with a handful of exceptions. It will be interesting to see what they do here.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, the lastnovel was published in 2010, by a different company with different editorial standards. D&D novels don't have a significantly different reputation, to be honest, with a handful of exceptions. It will be interesting to see what they do here.

D&D novels seem slightly better though. As I said for years the Magic ones only had 1 good series (Brothers War), D&D managed slightly more than that. I know some people don't like RA Salvatore but he is a masterepiece compared with some of the MtG ones.

As I said we used to get the novels for free via fat packs which we won at MtG tourneys. Even tried reading some, I might even have Guildpact somewhere but I think I gave them away to the younger players

A MtG fatpack IIRC had something like 9 packs i in in, a novel and a small book about the block and a card list. I gave 4 of them to my nephew at the start of the year as we got them for free, and I wondered what happened to the novels in them and now I know. I played magic from 98-2010, and even for free I would want my money back on a few of them. I think the Odyssey block and Alara ones have a reputation for being utter dreck. They are about as good as the typical D&D movie.

Unless something changes announcing new ones is like a choice between having your teeth pulled out or being waterboarded.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The MtG comics were also pretty bad but those have also improved. I think they've really worked on their story building for MtG.

Zardnaar

Legend
The MtG comics were also pretty bad but those have also improved. I think they've really worked on their story building for MtG.

MtG has always had good story building, the story telling has been the problem. Its like a DM who can design a really great world but is crap at running the game on said world.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
D&D novels seem slightly better though. As I said for years the Magic ones only had 1 good series (Brothers War), D&D managed slightly more than that. I know some people don't like RA Salvatore but he is a masterepiece compared with some of the MtG ones.

As I said we used to get the novels for free via fat packs which we won at MtG tourneys. Even tried reading some, I might even have Guildpact somewhere but I think I gave them away to the younger players

A MtG fatpack IIRC had something like 9 packs i in in, a novel and a small book about the block and a card list. I gave 4 of them to my nephew at the start of the year as we got them for free, and I wondered what happened to the novels in them and now I know. I played magic from 98-2010, and even for free I would want my money back on a few of them. I think the Odyssey block and Alara ones have a reputation for being utter dreck. They are about as good as the typical D&D movie.

Unless something changes announcing new ones is like a choice between having your teeth pulled out or being waterboarded.

Literally everything, or more accurately everybody, has changed. The only link between the new books and the old is the liscense. It's like speculating on Marvel Star Wars comics based on Dark Horse material.

gyor

Legend

The first novels of Ravnica are incredible and really cool and creative, the characters compelling, no I can't speak to the Brogher's War, but the Ravnica cycle is excellent.

Zardnaar

Legend
The first novels of Ravnica are incredible and really cool and creative, the characters compelling, no I can't speak to the Brogher's War, but the Ravnica cycle is excellent.

I had them at the time as I got them via fatpacks. I tried reading them but failed, might be an age thing I was in my late 20's when Ravnica landed. Apparently the Kamigawa and Ravnica ones are some of the better ones, Ravnica is my personal favourite setting/block etc. The relative few good MTG novels stand out, the D&D ones have their crappers as well but its more 50/50 perhaps (MtG was more like 3/14 or so). During 3Es run the D&D novels seemed to hit a high point, the Drizzt ones were not out right awful the Dark Elf ones were good, and you had the Sembia ones people liked and Elaine Cunningham had quite a few good ones and even some Drizzt ones were good. You have to go back to the TSR ones for the dreck which was kind of counter balanced out by the good ones.

D&D had a few whiffs in the Dragonlance and FR ones IIRC but I even a few of the meh ones were not out right awful or I can't finish this book bad although I do remember bottom feeders like Volos Once Around the Realms.

Last edited:

Remove ads