2 Years of Eric Noah + 8 Years of Morrus = 10 years of EN World!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
< fake grumpy voice >
I remember when this was all flat-file threaded conversations! Get orf my lawn!
</ fake grumpy voice >

It is astonishing to think that the site has been going that long! It has long been one of my favourite places on the internet, and I've had the pleasure of meeting and gaming with some really great people purely as a result of ENworld :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Oh yeah? Well I remember when the site was so slow, it only allowed 300 users online at a time! And you'd have to wait until someone left, like it was an overcrowded college bar!

(that's actually a true story, though I forget the exact user limit. It was 250-300, though, I'm pretty sure).

I have fallen for the EN World Jedi Mind Trick.
"This is the D&D website you are looking for."

Wow, 10 years and I believe I was around for most of them. It's too bad everyone's first signup date is Jan 2002 or later because of ... what was it? I've forgotten. I'll go look....

(I just changed the settings for the general forum to sort by date ascending, from the beginning. There aren't that many folks for 2002 still around based on the user names on that page. Best thread title: "So, gonna buy 'Of Sound Mind'?")

I suppose it was the switch to vBulletin. A lot griping at the time about shorter user names and that the older threads weren't imported. And then they discovered BBCode....

drothgery

First Post
Wow, a lot of folks from the crack of dawn here still - that's great!

I didn't find this place immediately, but it was definitely before 3e hit print. I found my first gaming group since college via Gamers Seeking Gamers (I was moving to take a new job, and decided that I was defintely going to find some people to game with when I got there), and have been gaming with those guys almost every week since fall of 2001.

You've done a lot of good work, guys. Keep it up.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Yeah, we've moved servers a few times. My old site was on 3 different domains over those first two years, I think...

Plane Sailing and Kid Charlemagne, thanks for reporting in and for your service to EN World!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Edit: And if you're looking for the infancy of the way we currently view EN World, check this out: Baby ENW

Wow! General Discussion with just 2050 threads! 1670 members!

Damn, that brings back memories.

Someone insisted to me a while back that the site hadn't grown, and was still the same size as it was back then...! :D

EricNoah

Adventurer
My first memory of Eric's site was, as has been mentioned already, his explanation of Attacks of Opportunity. For those of you who want to relive it, check this out:

Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition News - AoOs

I always really enjoyed putting that kind of thing together. I felt one of my jobs was to not just gather and display the rumors, but put them together and make them fit, organize them and constantly groom them for accuracy, and then teach readers what they could expect to see in the new edition. Similar idea here with the Combat Examples: Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition News

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Oh yeah? Well I remember when the site was so slow, it only allowed 300 users online at a time! And you'd have to wait until someone left, like it was an overcrowded college bar!

Ha! I remember that!

Man, good times...

Remove ads