D&D 4E 200 Words or Less: Pitch WotC a New 4e Setting

Pour

First Post
Has anyone ever seen open design of a campaign setting work well? I have not.

Maybe it's ambitious for a first go, but just like the Nentir Vale articles that fleshed out parts of the PoL setting, why couldn't the community, led by a designer, do much the same? Maybe they have set parameters like 'Isolated Isle on the High Seas' and the community is called to create a threat found on it. From there they create a couple of interesting locations the next month. Then a few NPCs. The designers, or the community, generate a couple of stat blocks, or items, something crunchy, and in 4 months time a community article is published- with commissioned art, maybe even fan art. Make it all community-based.

Tallifer

Hero
In my experience, a campaign setting's success derives greatly from its visual expression. Warhammer Fantasy was such a magnet for attention because of its late renaissance artwork (it also unfortunately was burdened with some of the earliest dungeon-punk: spiky hair and armour, enormous axes and swords).

Whichever setting uses the most distinctive and attractive art to portray its weirdness will get my vote.

cattoy

First Post
You know the world that Magic: the Gathering is set in?

That.

Unless you're saving it to use with 5e, in which case, I'll wait.

You have a ton of background info to draw on. A ton of awesome art to use. A massive market of people who already know the world already. And you already own the rights to it.

Incenjucar

Legend
I'd prefer a setting that, like Dark Sun, focuses on less-stereotypical aspects of D&D, in order to showcase the variety of the game, rather than to just provide a variation on the usual suspects. I want to see shardmind kingdoms visiting the shadow-powered merfolk empire to discuss the rising problem of primal assassins and the emerging psionic cavalry-based nomad hordes.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'd prefer a setting that, like Dark Sun, focuses on less-stereotypical aspects of D&D, in order to showcase the variety of the game, rather than to just provide a variation on the usual suspects. I want to see shardmind kingdoms visiting the shadow-powered merfolk empire to discuss the rising problem of primal assassins and the emerging psionic cavalry-based nomad hordes.
So write one up for us.

This thread is about proposing or at least providing campaign setting info, and we've gotten off track.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Please nothing else new and imaginative! Please just regurgatate another older editions work back on us! We loved it then so we will just love to buy it again but updated for 4E! YAY!

Maybe this time you guys can*wink* create Waterdeep as a setting! The six older copies of the city I already have need another friend!

How about Longsaddle the setting! Or Menzo...err wait nevermind!

The point is that many new things are rather risky. You actually have to you know,think of something new and not stupid.

Much safer to just hit us with the endless reprining of old stuff that sold well but with the new rules!

Wait! Wait! I have a idea! How about another Forgotten Realms setting book! After all its been a while now and the game has progressed beyond the old one. Add the new math and backgrounds and all the other stuff to bring it up to date!

Sorry about that guys! This post is a direct result of looking at all my new 4E books I got for Christmas that are just almost carbon copies of earler works that are on the same bookcase.

Remove ads