D&D 5E Pitch me a new WotC setting (+)

Zardnaar

Legend
Though it is worth noting that the instant you could play a Horde elf, they became the most-popular playable race in the game, bar none except perhaps human.

People like playing beautiful "bad" boys/girls. Blood elf gave players all the "savage Horde, we do what we want, we respect no law but force" stuff they craved, while still getting to be traditionally attractive. Even having blatantly overpowered alternatives (e.g. draenei back in BC) didn't dent the tide of blood elves.

AKA Drow effect.
Elves are generally peettier/better humans. Evil ones maximum emo powah!!!!

Scribe

Legend
Though it is worth noting that the instant you could play a Horde elf, they became the most-popular playable race in the game, bar none except perhaps human.

People like playing beautiful "bad" boys/girls. Blood elf gave players all the "savage Horde, we do what we want, we respect no law but force" stuff they craved, while still getting to be traditionally attractive. Even having blatantly overpowered alternatives (e.g. draenei back in BC) didn't dent the tide of blood elves.

To be fair, they also were the most typical trope of 'high elf' you could get. Unsurprisingly I played one back in BC, and my hair was glorious. :LOL:

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
what about a 'world between the worlds' where the adventurers dive into and scavenge from all these hundreds of miniature themed demiplane(?) bubbles it connects to which would only have like 1-3 different species in each, i don't know how close this is to spelljammer i never really looked at that, but like, oh here's a [mountain] world inhabited by [tortles and halflings] where [only arcane magic classes], there's a [flooded planet] world inhabited by [various elf subspecies], and a [mad max wasteland] with [hobgoblins, air genasi and dwarves] who live in [flying cities]

I would rather as main characters those soul with a pure heart as saints but reputation destroyed by the bad guys.

Seing previous titles by WotC I guess they would rather to start from zero their own new IP than acquiring one by a 3PP (but if this was enoughly cheap).

WotC is not so interested into selling books about lore but about crunch. It is better not saying too much because screenwritters enjoy more creative freedom when they work in a published title.

My opinion is all future M:tG settings are being designed with option to become a new D&D world in the future.

What is the size of the sentient creatures of Bloomburow?

The Duskmourn: House of Horror could allow later a spin-off style "ghost-town", and here some players could publish their own ideas in DMGuild, maybe recycling old stories from their "World of Darkness" games.

Well, if it was easy to define such a setting, we would already have it G

The only setting trope I can think of that we don't have is post-apocalyptic technology (not post magic like Dark Sun). Something like Shanarra where it appears to be typical fantasy, but is set in a post technological timeframe. This would be different from Eberron because instead of rising technology mixed with magic, it would be declining technology.

Also to set it apart, you could emphasize the divine, where dieties are active in the world, not lost or uncaring. Not sure what to do with races, maybe something more like everyone is akin to a humans (common ancestry) but have since developed familiar mutations. So the species are diverging from a common heritage. Classes would probably not need to be tweaked, except maybe to change the source of power for arcane magic to lost tech.

A lot more work would need to be done to make it unique and semi-original. But there you go, that's my thought.
With Dark Sun now officially dead, it would be quite nice to get an official post apocalyptic gritty survival setting.

dmar

Explorer
I've had this idea for a while: Last days of Iüv.

The Gods have decreed that the world of Iüv is full of sinners and will be destroyed. Thi is very real. The divine emissaries of the gods (Angels), and those mortals supporting them (the Penitents) are enacting the Judgment by setting up strange arcane machine monoliths that are already destroying the landscape at key locations, turning the land barren and tainted.

¿What will you do?

¿Fight against the gods and their Judgment?
¿Find a means to escape the world? ¿Perhaps try and preserve what makes it worthy: its peoples, works of art, etc...?
¿Try to show others that the Gods actually do not exist and this is an ellaborate con by some powerful beings?
¿Enjoy while you can the world's pleasures?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Cozy fantasy. Instead of a game world focused on war or armageddon or the clash of armies, a setting inspired by games like Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing. Firmly Tier 1 in nature (where most actual play is concentrated anyway), the setting book would provide robust crafting and farming rules, rules for anthropomorphic animals and a focus on non-violent conflict resolution, as the challenges the PCs will be facing are largely based on clashes of expectations and values, rather than good vs. evil. PCs will be more likely to run a magical coffee shop than they are to try and destroy an undead dragon.

Not a genre that TSR or WotC have tackled before, but a playstyle that's growing in popularity, both in gaming and in geek media generally.

A single book that also opens up the setting on the DMs Guild.
Such a fantastic idea. I would invest in this Kickstarter. 😁

And the crafting rules could then be borrowed by other campaign settings that want more crafting!

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
what about a 'world between the worlds' where the adventurers dive into and scavenge from all these hundreds of miniature themed demiplane(?) bubbles it connects to which would only have like 1-3 different species in each, i don't know how close this is to spelljammer i never really looked at that, but like, oh here's a [mountain] world inhabited by [tortles and halflings] where [only arcane magic classes], there's a [flooded planet] world inhabited by [various elf subspecies], and a [mad max wasteland] with [hobgoblins, air genasi and dwarves] who live in [flying cities]
thinking about this a little more, instead of an 'inbetween' world, the little worlds all just connect in a big web of pathways between them, if you're going somewhere you need to daisy-chain your world-jumping across realities to get to where you want to be, being an 'adventurer' is a profession for the people who have the ability to use these pathways.

Remove ads