D&D 5E Pitch me a new WotC setting (+)

GuyBoy

Hero
When I studied Medieval history, there was a real fear of world-ending catastrophe as the CE year 1000 approached; a bit like the “Millenium Bug” of the late 1990s, but with divine wrath, demons, angels, floods etc.
Obviously it didn’t happen but I have toyed with a campaign set in a not-Europe after the event actually happened, with “demons” unleashed and a pretty devastating breakdown of much of the society at the time. The “demons” being as much standard D&D monsters returning from myth, alongside some actual demons influencing political figures.

The general idea is to start in around 1002 CE, with a partially de-populated Europe beginning to come to terms with new realities.
Characters likely to be Norman or Saxon, charged with taking the 17 year old Emma of Normandy to her marriage to Aethelraed Unraed of England, but with the “unraed” part of his name referring to actual evil counsel by demonic forces, including evil plans for Emma, which the PCs will hopefully foil. Her brother, Richard the Good of Normandy is decent enough and a recent father to a baby, Robert, who IOTL would be William the Conqueror’s father. The Papacy was a corrupt mess at the time (sometimes called the Rule of the Harlots!), so that’s easy enough to play. Brian Boru was “King” of Ireland, so easy enough to bring in a not-Celtic angle.
I’d probably make a big play on “The Ruins” poem and involve Roman ruins, probably “haunted” by ghosts of legionaries (possibly benign) such as at Anderida (Pevensey) and similar.
Forests such as Andredeswald would be wild and dangerous, and I’d nod to the gaming past by a very old hero, Thegn Tostig, slayer of the hag, Angbeffor, as a mentor. (If you know, you know!)
Legendary items such as Beowulf’s sword could feature, and I’d centre a fair bit around the Neolithic ruins near where I live, possibly playing a couple of games there with my face-to-face group.
As the group travel around a devastated England, places such as Glastonbury will figure of course, and future figures such as a young Godwin will play a part

Nothing like a “sell me pitch” as I’ll never produce seriously, but I’ll probably put something together for my monthly group after I finish with Scarlet Citadel. Anyway, just thought I’d share.

thinking about this a little more, instead of an 'inbetween' world, the little worlds all just connect in a big web of pathways between them, if you're going somewhere you need to daisy-chain your world-jumping across realities to get to where you want to be, being an 'adventurer' is a profession for the people who have the ability to use these pathways.
This reminds me of the Chronicles of Amber. The Chronicles of Amber - Wikipedia

The Amber stories take place in two contrasting "true" worlds, Amber and Chaos, and in shadow worlds (Shadows) that lie between the two. These shadows, including Earth, are parallel worlds that exist in — and were created from — the tension between the opposing magical forces of Amber and Chaos. The Courts of Chaos are situated at the very edge of an abyss. Members of the royal family of Amber, after walking in a Pattern that is central to Amber, can travel freely through the Shadows. While traveling (shifting) between Shadows, they can alter reality or create a new reality by choosing which elements of which Shadows to keep or add, and which to subtract. Nobles of the Courts of Chaos who have traversed the Logrus are similarly able to travel through Shadows.

There is a diceless RPG that is based off of this series of books.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Would love to see something based on studio ghibli movies: spirited away, howl's moving castle, my neighbour totoro, etc. Not sure if dnd would be the best for it, but would still be a cool setting.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Would love to see something based on studio ghibli movies: spirited away, howl's moving castle, my neighbour totoro, etc. Not sure if dnd would be the best for it, but would still be a cool setting.
agreed, but so much of the ghibli movie stuff is just, visuals and✨vibes✨ that it'd be really difficult to achieve that purely from the establishing lore in a primarily non-visual medium

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
This reminds me of the Chronicles of Amber. The Chronicles of Amber - Wikipedia

The Amber stories take place in two contrasting "true" worlds, Amber and Chaos, and in shadow worlds (Shadows) that lie between the two. These shadows, including Earth, are parallel worlds that exist in — and were created from — the tension between the opposing magical forces of Amber and Chaos. The Courts of Chaos are situated at the very edge of an abyss. Members of the royal family of Amber, after walking in a Pattern that is central to Amber, can travel freely through the Shadows. While traveling (shifting) between Shadows, they can alter reality or create a new reality by choosing which elements of which Shadows to keep or add, and which to subtract. Nobles of the Courts of Chaos who have traversed the Logrus are similarly able to travel through Shadows.

There is a diceless RPG that is based off of this series of books.
honestly, i was struggling to come up with another comparison for my concept that wasn't The Great Maze from smash bros brawl subspace emmisary mode. (although TGM is a pretty spot on example of the kind of setting i meant)

Last edited:

Remove ads