• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2006 ENnies Judge Voting Poll/Thread

Pick up to five (5) candidates for Judge for the 2006 ENnies.

• Ankh-Morpork Guard (Graham Johnson)

Votes: 172 26.1%
  • Crothian (Chris Gath)

Votes: 426 64.6%
  • Cthulhu's Librarian (Richard J. Miller), SC

Votes: 348 52.8%
  • diaglo (David Temporado)

Votes: 235 35.7%
  • Eridanis (Matt Bogen), SC

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • JediSoth (Hans Cummings)

Votes: 34 5.2%
  • JoeGKushner (Joe G Kushner)

Votes: 367 55.7%
  • Keeper of Secrets (Matthew Muth)

Votes: 88 13.4%
  • Mixmaster (Leslie Foster), SC

Votes: 44 6.7%
  • nakia (Nakia S. Pope)

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • Quickbeam (Kevin Bopp), SC

Votes: 82 12.4%
  • RavenHyde (Selma McCrory)

Votes: 62 9.4%
  • Tarondor (Scott Nolan), SC

Votes: 47 7.1%
  • Teflon Billy (Jeff Ranger)

Votes: 458 69.5%
  • trancejeremy (Jeremy Reaban)

Votes: 84 12.7%
  • Umbran (Arnis Kletnieks)

Votes: 108 16.4%
  • Xath (Gertie Barden), SC

Votes: 149 22.6%

• Poll closed .
MavrickWeirdo said:
Ankh-Morpork Guard mentioned that while he has a "high" postcount, that most of it was not in the past year, so that could explain his low ranking.

Uh...when did I say that? I might have, but I wasn't right if I did.

This last year has been the MOST posting for me ever. From daily updates to a SH, to starting a second two day a week update on another SH, to a huge amount of PbP games, to a crazy amount of posts in the Sci-Fi forum thanks to it being a Star Wars year, and adding in my usual random jumping around from Off-Topic to General, to everywhere...and sticking my head in about any Star Wars d20 thread that exists, I've definitely posted like crazy over the past year.

So...that doesn't really explain why I have a 'low' ranking. But despite having a high post count, I don't think I'm really a 'high profile' member of the boards like most others are.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Interesting that you noted PbP and the Storyhour. More gaming than say saming related. Might speak of the volumes of people who go into the different message boards.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Uh...when did I say that? I might have, but I wasn't right if I did.

This last year has been the MOST posting for me ever. From daily updates to a SH, to starting a second two day a week update on another SH, to a huge amount of PbP games, to a crazy amount of posts in the Sci-Fi forum thanks to it being a Star Wars year, and adding in my usual random jumping around from Off-Topic to General, to everywhere...and sticking my head in about any Star Wars d20 thread that exists, I've definitely posted like crazy over the past year.

So...that doesn't really explain why I have a 'low' ranking. But despite having a high post count, I don't think I'm really a 'high profile' member of the boards like most others are.

My mistake, Quickbeam said that, not you.

fusangite

First Post
Umbran said:
But really, it isn't campaigning unless it is specifically designed to try to earn votes. I don't think TB campaigns. He is who he is, and he, of all people, isn't going to change who he is and how he behaves over the course of the year just to get votes. That'd be dishonest.
Let me tell you why I joined ENWorld. I joined because Teflon Billy campaigns. I was his roommate and he encouraged me to join ENWorld, partly because it was an exciting community but partly motivated by the fact that an election was coming up. Because he had supported me in my real life political career, I was scarcely going to turn him down.

While he'd been telling me annecdotes about the forums for months, the thing that caused me to join and start posting was the fact that an election was coming. Cthulu's Librarian and JoeGKushner also both stated that they too actively campaign by signing up new ENWorld members. There is absolutely nothing "passive" about doing this anymore than registering voters and driving them to the polls is in a real life election.

Furthermore, I don't think it's "dishonest" for people planning an election bid to restrain themselves from getting into a flamewar that might otherwise tempt them or spend that extra five minutes to offer an opinion or some advice that they might not otherwise provide.
There's a difference between seeing it as a defect, and seeing the system weigh a particular aspect too heavily. Sure, a judge ought to be engaged in the community, and basically personable. But the act of judging doesn't require you be one of the most engaged of all people, or the most charismatic on the boards. But, the nomination system seems to weigh those highly.
That's because ENWorlders seem to think that's important.
You may say, "Well, the people seem to think it matters!" And if you think that what they believe should be the end-all and be-all of the election, and you aren't willing to be convinced that things the people might not think of first can be important, well, such is life.
What I'm suggesting, Umbran, is that lacking any objective standard for what makes a product good, I think the standard we should apply to the products we judge is the degree to which they are likely to be viewed by the community as good products. The more the judges' standards deviate from the standards of the community, the less satisfactory the result. There is no objective measure of whether a D20 product is good or bad. All we can measure is: how well will this product meet the needs of our community? The more representative the judges are of the community, the more effectively we can make that measurement.
No, it isn't meaningless. It means I trust the public to consider some things, but not others. I trust them to make decisions based upon what is most immediately important to their minds - comparison of products. I don't expect them to give a whit about the long-term health of the awards. It isn't their primary concern, and they don't sit in a place where they have the data to make the decisions.
Well, despite the fact that I spend more time insulting them on these threads than most people, I will declare that I trust them a good deal more than you do.

Quickbeam

Explorer
MavrickWeirdo said:
My mistake, Quickbeam said that, not you.

I really didn't comment on the overall total of my post count, but rather that it had tailed off in the past year compared to previous years. I haven't looked to see how my post count compares to others running for ENnies, and I trust that the correlation you've drawn is fairly accurate. I am, however, offended (not really) at your insinuation that my current ranking is low! :mad:

It's not low, it's middle of the road thank you very much. :p

I have a few questions for you (and others arguing along the same lines as yourself):
Am I any more or less qualified to be an ENnies Judge this year than I was two years ago when I finished 9th among 40+ candidates? Undoubtedly I'm less visible at EN World now than I was 18 months ago, but are my strengths and weaknesses as a potential judge drastically altered by making fewer posts? And if it really comes down to visibility, how am I ahead of several candidates with a larger volume of total and/or more recent posts?

fusangite

First Post
MavrickWeirdo said:
I don't have the postcount numbers I used in the rankings at the end of page 1 with me at the moment, but there were a couple of things I noticed at the time.

Most judges received votes relative to their post count (as I mentioned before).
On the off chance you enjoy doing this kind of stuff, would you mind doing two other correlation tests:
1. Posts per month (using the total posts and join date to calculate)
2. Reviews

I'm interested in seeing which of these three variables correlates most strongly to vote total.

Crothian

First Post
So, we need people to write reviews. And there just happens to be a great PDF review project (run by me) that gets people free...did he say free??...yes, free PDFs to you and all you have to do is review them. And that's not all, this isn't just good for one free PDF, but as long as you write reviews you get free ...did he say free??...yes, free PDFs to review!!!

:D

Quickbeam

Explorer
Crothian said:
So, we need people to write reviews. And there just happens to be a great PDF review project (run by me) that gets people free...did he say free??...yes, free PDFs to you and all you have to do is review them. And that's not all, this isn't just good for one free PDF, but as long as you write reviews you get free ...did he say free??...yes, free PDFs to review!!!

:D

How convenient. ;)

JoeGKushner said:
Interesting that you noted PbP and the Storyhour. More gaming than say saming related. Might speak of the volumes of people who go into the different message boards.
It is also interesting that very few of the other candidates are(from what I've seen) very active at all in the PbP forum. That's almost a whole separate subset of the boards that seems to get largely glossed over by most people, and the people within it stay mostly to themselves.

Kind of an odd situation, really.

Remove ads