2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

jsaving

Adventurer
Nice to see (some) people finally breaking away from the consensus that next year's setting will be Dark Sun. Athas is a great setting that deserves to make its 4e debut, but it just doesn't fit the clues we've been given so far from the designers that the new setting:

a) will commemorate an anniversary
b) was very popular in its day
c) will tug at the heart-strings of longtime gamers

Athas was never that popular with the broader gaming community and doesn't have a significant anniversary coming up, so unless one thinks WotC has become a serial fibber regarding the 2010 setting, we need to look elsewhere. Also remember that WotC recently saw fit to can the designer most responsible for the current Dark Sun setting, which further reinforces the idea that Athas will breathe for a year or two longer before making the jump to 4e.

Dragonlance, though, fits the available clues quite well...

Dausuul

Legend
Nice to see (some) people finally breaking away from the consensus that next year's setting will be Dark Sun. Athas is a great setting that deserves to make its 4e debut, but it just doesn't fit the clues we've been given so far from the designers that the new setting:

Athas was never that popular with the broader gaming community and doesn't have a significant anniversary coming up, so unless one thinks WotC has become a serial fibber regarding the 2010 setting, we need to look elsewhere. Also remember that WotC recently saw fit to can the designer most responsible for the current Dark Sun setting, which further reinforces the idea that Athas will breathe for a year or two longer before making the jump to 4e.

Dragonlance, though, fits the available clues quite well...

Not that I doubt you, but where did these clues come from?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer

a) Next year is the 35th anniversary of Supplement II: Blackmoor.
b) Not sure how popular it was in its day, but being one of very few supplements available I'm sure it was.
c) What would tug at the heart-strings of long time gamers more that an homage to a recently departed original designer?

And Blackmoor has an A in it.

ggroy

First Post
4E has really been reorganized to prevent alot of spurious splatbooks, you'll get multiple DMGs, PHBs and MMs; the various power books plus the planes books, draconomicons and probably yearly complilations of related DDi material, Fey, Giants, etc.

I wonder why WotC decided to go this route.

Some guesses would be:

- don't want another fallout/backlash like the release of the 3.5E core books
- too many splatbooks sold poorly and/or didn't even sell out their first printings
- they foresaw the economy falling into the toilet as far back as 2007 or early 2008

ggroy

First Post
From the perspective of possible future 4E "Power" books, which setting will provide a large quantity of new classes such that it would be worthwhile to produce something like an "arcane power 2", "divine power 2", "primal power 2", etc ... This is considering a "martial power 2" is already in the pipeline for a Feb 2010 release. Eberron has the artificer class, which wasn't covered in the first "arcane power" book.

Could Dragonlance or Dark Sun produce some new distinct arcane or divine classes, for an "arcane power 2" or "divine power 2"? (Or for that matter other possible past TSR settings).

Last edited:

DarthMouth

First Post

Holy Frak !! :eek: this is true?

Could Dragonlance or Dark Sun produce some new distinct arcane or divine classes, for an "arcane power 2" or "divine power 2"? (Or for that matter other possible past TSR settings).

Yeah.. both have it a lot!! From the arcane and divine Orders of Dragonlance to Preservers/Defilers plus Templars plus Poison Bards of D-Sun..

Nymrohd

First Post
...You know, I never read Ghostwalk. And I don't know of anyone else who did. Was it any good?

For a one-shot it was pretty decent. Nice map which is very important for settings imo, an interesting city, a rather exciting subsystem. Certainly had promise, and could be great with the current 3 books system though I don't know if they could keep the special rules (not that it would be hard rulewise, it just sounds like a lot of text).

Remove ads