• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

In the Manual of the Planes, Krynn AND Athas are both mentioned, and a "spelljammer" is a magic item, a ship and frequenlty mentioned in it...

Hey, if it has cannibal halflings or gnome-chewing giant space hamseters, I'll be happy! :D

Henrix

Explorer
IIRC correctly they talked about Ghostwalk, perhaps it was on a podcast?

Anyhow, they said that they would hardly revisit Ghostwalk as a setting, possibly as part of some sort of sourcebook.

I think Mearls said it had been a neat idea, bit not really enough for a campaign, and that perhaps the city of Manifest would do better as an interesting place to visit.

And I don't think it sold well - it was not long since I saw it in bargain bins.

Verys Arkon

First Post
Here are some things Chris Perkins has said about campaign settings here...

Originally Posted by Seeker95
Next year seems to be Dark Sun, if hints and asides are any indication.

Recycling old material, they can release:
• Greyhawk
• Hollow World and/or Mystara
• DragonLance
• Ravenloft (now a demiplane, but it could get a full setting flesh-out)
Deviating from "world" settings, there is also:
• Planescape
• Spelljammer
And there are also a ton of second and later round runner-ups from the setting search. But I think the above gets us far enough into 4e (seven more years) to last until 5th edition.

Some of the settings you mention have had their key concepts "absorbed" into 4E. For instance, Manual of the Planes contains information on "spelljammers" (from the Spelljammer® setting), "domains of dread" (from the Ravenloft® setting), and Sigil (from the Planescape® setting). One of the goals was to show how well these elements can work together in 4E without having to fracture the D&D game or its audience.

Originally Posted by XunValDorl of HouseKilsek
What about the people who don't have DDI and only use physical books?? Should we have to suffer cause we don't want to pay a monthly subscription to a table top game??

My glib answer is "Yup" because, honestly, no reply I can give you will make you jump with joy.

We can get content out faster online than in book format, and without cluttering up store shelves with campaign setting supplements that appeal and sell only to a fraction of the D&D audience. We can also present a broader range of topics and more depth in the form of standalone online articles.

A petition isn't likely to resurrect Mystara, I'm afraid. What Mystara lacks is a real hook that sets it apart from generic D&D and other specific D&D settings. (I've always considered Hollow World a more intriguing setting for exactly this reason.)

On the other hand, Ravenloft has a hook (Gothic horror fantasy) that no other D&D setting treads on, which is something worth exploring when the time is right.

We are planning to do new stuff as well as resurrect some "classic" stuff. Whenever we decide to do something new, it takes time to get the ball rolling because we're essentially building an entirely new intellectual property from scratch.

We resurrect old campaign settings for more than just nostalgia reasons. We do it to keep those worlds and intellectual properties alive and active. Names like "Ravenloft" and "Dark Sun" and "Dragonlance" mean a lot to Wizards and to a great many other people. In most cases, it would be a shame to let them simply wither and die. Just like Disney animated movies, we need to pull them out of the vault and dust them off once in a while.

Originally Posted by sigil_beguiler
It would be nice to here how WoTC goes about deciding what settings to build. Perhaps even a bit behind their building process.

Now THAT'S a multi-layered conversation that usually starts with us asking a bunch of questions and doing some research. Some questions that spring to mind whenever someone says the words "campaign setting" to me:

1. Is there a business need or opportunity for a new setting or a reincarnated old setting?

2. Where is popular culture heading? Can we create a setting that isn't irrelevant one or two years from now?

3. Are there any non-active settings that we're revitalizing in other arenas (digital games, novels, Hollywood, etc.)?

4. Is there an important niche that a new or old setting can fill?

5. Is there a particular setting that a significant number of D&D players want to see resurrected or reincarnated?

6. Is there a setting that we can turn into a $X million sub-brand with multiple revenue streams?

7. Can we design a setting that doesn't fracture the D&D audience into a dozen squabbling sects that utterly loathe one another (a la TSR circa 1997)?

Originally Posted by CelticMutt
And speaking of Birthright, . . . at this point in time it seems pretty much a foregone conclusion that if not 2010 then at least eventually Dark Sun and Dragonlance are getting the 4e treatment. But can you tell us whether or not Birthright is in consideration as well?

We're ruling out nothing.

However, whether we treat a past setting as a full-blown campaign setting or simply absorb its best concepts or qualities into a core D&D book would be a topic of debate. Taking Birthright as an example, we could put the mechanics for leading armies, building strongholds, and ruling kingdoms into a future DMG. I'm not saying we would do that, but if we did, would we need a Birthright campaign setting reboot? Hmm.

Some interesting insights, and I think it helps us eliminate more than one old campaign setting.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
a) Next year is the 35th anniversary of Supplement II: Blackmoor.
b) Not sure how popular it was in its day, but being one of very few supplements available I'm sure it was.
c) What would tug at the heart-strings of long time gamers more that an homage to a recently departed original designer?

And Blackmoor has an A in it.

a) Next year is also the 35th anniversary of Supplement I: Greyhawk and the 30th anniversary of the World of Greyhawk boxed set.
b) We all know how popular the Greyhawk setting is/was.
c) Tugging heart-strings for the same reasons plus the nostalgia of the setting itself for us old grognards.

And Greyhawk has an A in it.

jamorea

Explorer
a) Next year is also the 35th anniversary of Supplement I: Greyhawk and the 30th anniversary of the World of Greyhawk boxed set.
b) We all know how popular the Greyhawk setting is/was.
c) Tugging heart-strings for the same reasons plus the nostalgia of the setting itself for us old grognards.

And Greyhawk has an A in it.

Based on James Wyatt's comments in the 4E One Year Later Tome Show podcast I doubt it's Greyhawk.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Nice to see (some) people finally breaking away from the consensus that next year's setting will be Dark Sun. Athas is a great setting that deserves to make its 4e debut, but it just doesn't fit the clues we've been given so far from the designers that the new setting:

a) will commemorate an anniversary
b) was very popular in its day
c) will tug at the heart-strings of longtime gamers

Hmm...sources? I'm no longer a DDI subscriber, so if this has shown up in Ampersand, I missed it.

Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Greyhawk and Ravenloft were all popular in their day, and all have vocal followings, so the anniversary clue would be key. 2010 is the 25th Anniversary of the Dragonlance novels, and the 20th anniversary of the Ravenloft campaign setting. Dark Sun, meanwhile, celebrates its 20th Anniversary in 2011.

If they want to leverage anniversaries, I'd say it'll be DL in 2010, and DS in 2011. The one thing that throws this into question in my mind is that DL is still 'on shelves' in many places, with a lot of used bookstores and game stores stocking 3.5E material from Sovereign Press/MWP. Dark Sun, meanwhile, has been hard to find since the 3E changeover, and Ravenloft's 3E material was cancelled earlier and not as widely distributed as SP/MWP's DL stuff. It might be a wise idea for WotC to wait a little longer on DL so that the older, competing material moves out of the retail stream--especially given one other fact.

DL is the War of the Lance first and foremost. It's the story everyone knows, it's the period that many (if not most) of the novels tie back into, and all three major iterations of the DL game line (1E/2E, SAGA/2E, 3.5E) have ended or nearly ended their runs with a revisitation of the original adventures. Given that, I would not be at all surprised for WotC to produce a trilogy of supermodules for 4E telling that story . . . but then you run into the problem that MWP did the same thing for 3.5E only two or three years back. Another reason to hold off a few years longer.

Plus, I have to wonder if the movie (which was not very good) hurt the brand identity somewhat.

Suffice to say, evidence suggests that both Dragonlance and Dark Sun are on the shortlist for publication.

Given the comment about needing to "dust off" properties every once in a while, to me that suggests that Greyhawk isn't a priority right now; it didn't get a lot of direct support during 3E, but it did see a lot of indirect support. OTOH, Dark Sun is looking pretty "dusty". Dragonlance is a little bit less so, on account of licensing, but it's also a strong candidate, especially when you consider that comment about "non-active settings being revitalized in other arenas" where he specifically mentions Hollywood. (There was a Dragonlance movie released in 2007.) It's not direct evidence in favour of DL, but I'd bet good money that that's exactly what Perkins was thinking about when he mentioned it -- if nothing else, it means that Dragonlance is definitely on the minds of the folks at WotC.

Remove ads