D&D 5E 2020 Release Speculation Thread

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
2019: GoS, BG:DiA, Essentials Kit, E:RftLW

R&M and Acq Inc. too, but they're truly 3rd party. So far this year we only have Theros, so there is room for at least two more books, maybe a fourth but unlikely. More likely, one book for Q3 (likely the adventure in September), and some Q4 book (truly a mystery).

gyor

Legend
I think the "3 books a year" thing is mostly meant to say, "We only have the internal resources to produce that much in a year normally, so expect that amount normally."

However, because Mercer wrote most of Wildemount himself (and a couple other non-WotC people) the only internal work done is editing and some art layout. A lot less than the typical book.

So another setting is possible this year, as Theros is the only one internally developed for 2020 so far.

Its 3-4 per year, not just only 3, parntered released like Wildemount Aquisitions Inc, Rick and Morty, Stranger Things also don't take up a slot and neither do special versions of already punlished books like that core books gift pack or Tyranny of Dragons. Its why we could be looking at 2 to 3 more books this year.

Urriak Uruk

Its 3-4 per year, not just only 3, parntered released like Wildemount Aquisitions Inc, Rick and Morty, Stranger Things also don't take up a slot and neither do special versions of already punlished books like that core books gift pack or Tyranny of Dragons. Its why we could be looking at 2 to 3 more books this year.

2015: Two adventure books, 1 setting book.
2016: Two adventure books (one a remake of previous adventure), 1 monster/source book.
2017: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 player options book.
2018: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 setting book, 1 monster/source book.
2019: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 setting book, 1 boxed set

Copied from my original post. We have actually never truly gotten 4 books a year. Last year was the most if you include the Essentials Kit, but we still have never gotten more than one "crunch" book a year from the main team.

Now, maybe it will change this year. But it is rare of WotC to publish more than one book in the same quarter; they did it with the boxed set, and again with Ravnica/Undermountain, but the first is a box and the second actually a mistake (Dragon Heist originally was not supposed to be a book, just an intro).

gyor

Legend
2015: Two adventure books, 1 setting book.
2016: Two adventure books (one a remake of previous adventure), 1 monster/source book.
2017: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 player options book.
2018: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 setting book, 1 monster/source book.
2019: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 setting book, 1 boxed set

Copied from my original post. We have actually never truly gotten 4 books a year. Last year was the most if you include the Essentials Kit, but we still have never gotten more than one "crunch" book a year from the main team.

Now, maybe it will change this year. But it is rare of WotC to publish more than one book in the same quarter; they did it with the boxed set, and again with Ravnica/Undermountain, but the first is a box and the second actually a mistake (Dragon Heist originally was not supposed to be a book, just an intro).

Well they have said 3 to 4 so they at least have kept the door open to doing 4 books. I mean the UA stuff has to be for something.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Didn't 2019 have Essentials, Stranger Things, AND Rick & Morty for boxed sets?

All three were unique outside business opportunities: Hasbro had a huge Stranger Things push across the board, Target commissioned the Essentials Set, and Rick & Morty fell in their lap as a license after the comic book success.

Urriak Uruk

Well they have said 3 to 4 so they at least have kept the door open to doing 4 books. I mean the UA stuff has to be for something.

Sure, but it may not be until Q1 of next year. Or maybe it is for something, and it's the 3rd book.

Right now, there is only one "core" book announced, Theros. So there will almost certainly be another two books announced, but I doubt there will be a 4th one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

It could be for something like the Elemental Evil Player Guide that was cancelled before even being announced. An awfully large amount of UA over the past five years never reached print.

gyor

Legend
Sure, but it may not be until Q1 of next year. Or maybe it is for something, and it's the 3rd book.

Right now, there is only one "core" book announced, Theros. So there will almost certainly be another two books announced, but I doubt there will be a 4th one.

You could be right or wrong, I'm just pointing out the fact that they left the door open to 4 books a year without having to change their minds.

Remove ads