D&D 5E 2020 Release Speculation Thread

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So... I love speculating, and I know some of you do to. And I've noticed there have actually been a bunch of cryptic hints towards what is coming next year (though little that is confirmed), and I thought instead of trying to organize all this clues in my head, I'd put them here for the community to organize for me!

I'll gladly edit this OP for things I've missed, but here are some of the big ones.

• There is a book upcoming, with adventures written by Deborah Ann Woll, Marisha Ray, and authors from the DMsGuild.
  • D&D will stick to a pacing of 3 to 4 hardcover books a year.
  • D&D is "committed" to releasing more setting books.
  • A "couple" of products in 2020 will have influences from non-European cultures.
  • Chwingas (a sprite from Chult) will return in an official product.
  • The past few Unearthed Arcanas are testing nine different subclasses.

Past year's "pattern"
2015: Two adventure books, 1 setting book.
2016: Two adventure books (one a remake of previous adventure), 1 monster/source book.
2017: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 player options book.
2018: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 setting book, 1 monster/source book.
2019: Two adventure books (one a remake), 1 setting book.
<didn't really count Tyranny of Dragons, Rick and Morty or Acq. Inc. since those are unlikely to repeat>

Sources:

So what do you think is in the works? I'm guessing one adventure with a tie to the planes (the Chwinga/faeries link), one compilation of adventures book (instead of a remake), and one book that is either a setting or new player options.

What hints did I miss, or what are your thought?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My main expectation is for a Storyline Adventure book to be released, since we know Chris Perkins and Adam Lee are working on one. My prediction is Mindflayets versus Gith.

My gut is that we might see another monster book, maybe Dragons, as it will have been two years since MToF.

Xanathar's Guide 2 or equivalent seems a possibility, but I think the tests may well be for a Setting book. My guesses on that basis would be Planescape and/or some Magic: the Gathering crossover.

The book Welch has alluded to, with DMsGuild author and celebrity contributions intrigues me: I suspect it will break the mold, being the first big book conceived and planned out entirely by someone other than Mearls, Crawford or Perkins.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, one thing to keep in mind: the vehicle rules used in Ghosts of Saltmarsh and Descent into Avernus were revealed by Mike Mearls when talking to NeebieDM at D&D Live to be based on Mass Combat rules still in development for WotC by a gentleman named Joseph A. McCullough. McCullough appears to be a hardcore war gamer, and what he is working on might be ready for primetime next year:

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases